Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default fibre or rubber washers?

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 18:19:49 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Fibre washers are used in tap connectors & some washing machine hoses
because the fibre swells up when wetted & seals better.

Thanks. I knew than fibre washers like these are used in tap
connectors:

and ones like these are used in flexible hoses:

but never knew why until now, thanks for explaining.

BTW I put the links above because I didn't know how else to describe
the two. The O shape of fibre is wider on the second.

I was wondering whether I would need to fit one of the wider (second
link) ones, inside one of these:
https://www.screwfix.com/prods/38542...Coupler-15mm-x

Is it necessary? Will it weep without one? Or will a good wrap of ptfe
tape make everything ok?

The other reply says rubber will be squashed under compression, so I
guess fibre is always better? I have only seen rubber, never fibre, in
washing machine hoses but then I don't see as many as you do.

Thanks.