Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reasonable or not - Fence install?

We paid a professional fencing contractor to put some concrete fence
posts, concrete kick panels and 6' panels in. As you might expect
working up to another long ago done similar fence at right angles to
the new one - the panels did not quite work out at full panels, there
was an 18" gap to be filled. This was quoted for as a separate job to
the rest, at £65 for a part panel to be put in.

The part panel has been just pushed in, with no fixing to the already
fixed post which has no socket on its face and no concrete kick board,
just sat on the bare ground to rot. Fair enough I suppose if they had
thrown it in for nothing, but probably not if you are paying £65 for
the job to be done properly. What does the panel think, before I start
growling down the phone?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
We paid a professional fencing contractor to put some concrete fence
posts, concrete kick panels and 6' panels in. As you might expect
working up to another long ago done similar fence at right angles to
the new one - the panels did not quite work out at full panels, there
was an 18" gap to be filled. This was quoted for as a separate job to
the rest, at £65 for a part panel to be put in.

The part panel has been just pushed in, with no fixing to the already
fixed post which has no socket on its face and no concrete kick board,
just sat on the bare ground to rot. Fair enough I suppose if they had
thrown it in for nothing, but probably not if you are paying £65 for
the job to be done properly. What does the panel think, before I start
growling down the phone?

Harry,

To me it would be a no-brainer. The contractor quoted for the job
(presumably) stating what would be involved to complete the job to match in
with the other works - ergo, that has not happened and I personally would be
on the telephone politely telling him that there was a problem with his
work, question his reasons for doing the job that way, and if there was no
valid reason for that, asking to return and rectify the problem.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

Complain now, or borrow my cement mixer if you want to DIY the bodge job.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 May 2010 19:35:06 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

Complain now, or borrow my cement mixer if you want to DIY the bodge
job.

Being you, Adam, I thought 'cement mixer' and then 'contractor' and
'concrete overcoat'!!

Sorry... .-)

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 May 2010 19:35:06 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

Complain now, or borrow my cement mixer if you want to DIY the bodge
job.

Being you, Adam, I thought 'cement mixer' and then 'contractor' and
'concrete overcoat'!!

Sorry... .-)

No need to be sorry. All that is buried under my patio is an old Vauxhall
Carlton:-)

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
We paid a professional fencing contractor to put some concrete fence
posts, concrete kick panels and 6' panels in. As you might expect
working up to another long ago done similar fence at right angles to
the new one - the panels did not quite work out at full panels, there
was an 18" gap to be filled. This was quoted for as a separate job to
the rest, at £65 for a part panel to be put in.

The part panel has been just pushed in, with no fixing to the already
fixed post which has no socket on its face and no concrete kick board,
just sat on the bare ground to rot. Fair enough I suppose if they had
thrown it in for nothing, but probably not if you are paying £65 for
the job to be done properly. What does the panel think, before I start
growling down the phone?

If I come across this situation I raid the 'damaged panels' corner of my
supplier & find a panel where I can cut out the piece I need. Get them for
half price. You would need to buy a complete gravel board, so £25 max for
the materials, leaves him £40 for the labour. No more than an hour to cut
the gravel board & screw a batten onto the concrete post.

He isn't going to be out of pocket if he does this properly & he should.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman submitted this idea :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

I would have thought cutting down to size would be a regular thing for
them to need to do, so they would have odd bits to do it with anyway.
You could manage 4x 18" fill-ins from a full 6' wide set.

Thanks for the replies - I'll be on the phone in the morning. What
really miffed me, was that I spent a weekend clearing the fence line of
stumps, over hanging branches, old fence posts and roots in the way of
the new posts. Basically the job could not have been made easier for
them.

I would think a back to back pair of U brackets would be the obvious
way to fix a panel to a post lacking a slot, rather than trying to
drill a reinforced concrete post?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 13, 5:19 am, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
We paid a professional fencing contractor to put some concrete fence
posts, concrete kick panels and 6' panels in. As you might expect
working up to another long ago done similar fence at right angles to
the new one - the panels did not quite work out at full panels, there
was an 18" gap to be filled.

If the fence is at the front of the property I always make the panels
all of equal width. For pickets I use a calculator to space the
pickets evenly between posts to avoid that extra-big or extra-small
gap at one end.
I'll bet nobody else does this
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F was thinking very hard :
wrote:
We paid a professional fencing contractor to put some concrete fence
posts, concrete kick panels and 6' panels in. As you might expect
working up to another long ago done similar fence at right angles to
the new one - the panels did not quite work out at full panels, there
was an 18" gap to be filled.

If the fence is at the front of the property I always make the panels
all of equal width. For pickets I use a calculator to space the
pickets evenly between posts to avoid that extra-big or extra-small
gap at one end.
I'll bet nobody else does this

There were no aesthetic concerns, the odd panel was to fit right at the
far end, at the rear.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
writes:

With panels and concrete posts it's best to use standard sizes to simplify
replacement. The posts should outlast the panels at least twice. New panels
can be slid in easily.

I watched someone down the road trying to do it in a slightly gusty breeze.
I wish I'd had a camera phone at the time...

--
Andrew Gabriel

how do I install fence posts? TimR[_2_] Home Repair 23 May 31st 09 05:37 AM
Help-what is reasonable? Michael Koblic Metalworking 29 November 16th 08 05:07 AM
I'm building a 6' high fence and I'm having trouble with land elevations and gaps under fence???? [email protected] Home Repair 6 June 7th 07 11:55 AM
Wire fence install nobody Home Repair 4 September 27th 06 01:22 PM
Is this reasonable ? [email protected] UK diy 9 January 25th 06 01:02 PM