blackboard paint

Old January 14th 10, 05:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default blackboard paint

Hi. Can anyone tell me what is the difference between matt black paint
and blackboard paint? I already have this matt black paint:
http://www.international-paints.co.u...matt_black.jsp

How is it different from this blackboard paint?
http://www.international-paints.co.u...oard_paint.jsp

I would like to make a blackboard and was wondering if I could save a
trip to the shops by using what I already have? Thanks in advance.
Old January 14th 10, 05:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

and blackboard paint? I already have this matt black paint:http://www.international-paints.co.u..._coat_matt_bla...

How is it different from this blackboard paint?http://www.international-paints.co.u..._coat_blackboa...

I would like to make a blackboard and was wondering if I could save a
trip to the shops by using what I already have? Thanks in advance.

course you can. Worst case is it scratches up and you end up getting
the right stuff.

NT
Old January 14th 10, 05:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 16:23:41 +0000, Fred wrote:

Hi. Can anyone tell me what is the difference between matt black paint
and blackboard paint? I already have this matt black paint:
http://www.international-paints.co.u...matt_black.jsp

How is it different from this blackboard paint?
http://www.international-paints.co.u...oard_paint.jsp

Hmm, wonder if the kosher stuff is thinner? I got some black paint for our
stairs that's supposedly very hard wearing, and it's really runny stuff -
I suspect it acts more as a stain than a layer of paint.

Old January 14th 10, 06:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fred wrote:
Hi. Can anyone tell me what is the difference between matt black paint
and blackboard paint? I already have this matt black paint:
http://www.international-paints.co.u...matt_black.jsp

How is it different from this blackboard paint?
http://www.international-paints.co.u...oard_paint.jsp

From memory (I made a few blackboard and easels yonks back for a local school)
proper blackboard paint is less black - more dark grey/green. It also was more
matt than the matt paint I used first. Very very matt...

Normal matt paint just didn't seem to work as well with the chalk - leaving
a "crayon on gloss" type effect if you get what I mean. The proper stuff
worked really well but as someone else said, was thin and needed a few coats.

Then you rub chalk all over it before using it (stick of chalk on it's side
and then rub it in with a duster) or whatever you write on it first will be
there for a long time :-)

I would like to make a blackboard and was wondering if I could save a
trip to the shops by using what I already have? Thanks in advance.

Give it ago if you have matt - as I say, the matt black I tried was
disappointing

Darren

Old January 14th 10, 08:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:

Hi. Can anyone tell me what is the difference between matt black paint
and blackboard paint? I already have this matt black paint:
http://www.international-paints.co.u...matt_black.jsp

How is it different from this blackboard paint?
http://www.international-paints.co.u...oard_paint.jsp

I would like to make a blackboard and was wondering if I could save a
trip to the shops by using what I already have? Thanks in advance.

If you read the descriptions in the two links above, they are *very*
similar - including a bit for the ordinary matt black which says "ideal . .
for blackboards"!

I'd just try it. If it doesn't work for any reason, you can always
over-paint it with the 'proper' stuff.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old January 15th 10, 12:23 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
Hi. Can anyone tell me what is the difference between matt black paint
and blackboard paint? I already have this matt black paint:
http://www.international-paints.co.u...matt_black.jsp

How is it different from this blackboard paint?
http://www.international-paints.co.u...oard_paint.jsp

I would like to make a blackboard and was wondering if I could save a
trip to the shops by using what I already have? Thanks in advance.

It's not just "matt black" - it's "course black". Blackboard paint is rough like
fine sandpaper. It is also very hard wearing and totally waterproof (you will
want to clean off the chalk with water now and then).

From what I remember, it also seems to use an unusual solvent. I'm not sure if
that has anything to do with its roughness.

-- Jason
Old January 15th 10, 12:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
Hi. Can anyone tell me what is the difference between matt black paint
and blackboard paint? I already have this matt black paint:
http://www.international-paints.co.u...matt_black.jsp

How is it different from this blackboard paint?
http://www.international-paints.co.u...oard_paint.jsp

I would like to make a blackboard and was wondering if I could save a
trip to the shops by using what I already have? Thanks in advance.

Would the politically incorrect please note that there is no such thing
as 'blackboard paint'. It is chalkboard paint.

OTOH there are whiteboards and whiteboard markers :-)

Malcolm

(ducks flames)
Old January 15th 10, 12:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Jan, 16:23, Fred wrote:
Hi. Can anyone tell me what is the difference between matt black paint
and blackboard paint?

Matt black paint is gloss black paint, with enough filler in it to
make it look matt for reflected light, hidden under a smooth-feeling
surface

Blackboard paint is similar, but with sufficient voodoo added (maybe
just more of the same filler) that it looks the same, but the surface
is mechanically rough enough to allow chalk to write on it.

If you paint a blackboard with matt black paint, you get something
that looks exactly like a blackboard, except that the chalk won't
stick!

You can also paint something with blackboard paint, then wax polish
over it (e.g. MDF video racking shelves). This gives you a very black
semi-matt surface (good for Goths and '80s retro fans) that looks good
and wears better than plain matt paint.
Old January 15th 10, 01:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 19:35:17 -0000, "Roger Mills"
wrote:

I'd just try it. If it doesn't work for any reason, you can always
over-paint it with the 'proper' stuff.

Thanks everyone. I had a reply from International Paints saying the
two were very similar but they had not tried chalk on the matt black
paint, so like you, they suggested try a small area and see.

They did also say the blackboard paint was specially formulated to
hold chalk on the surface, as other posters have said.

I will let you know what happens, when I get round to it.
Old January 16th 10, 11:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fred wrote:

Thanks everyone. ...

Fred: my question is: where you gonna get your chalk? Eh?

I worked in a University for a long time. About 10 years ago I realised
that there wasn't a stick of chalk in the place.

John