Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine Frank Erskine is offline

Default blackboard paint, an UPDATE

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 22:46:36 +0100, Fred
wrote:

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 17:34:08 +0100, Another John
wrote:

I have an old tin of blackboard paint, and
whereas ordinary paint would solidify over the course of time (in this
case: about 30 years! :-) ) this paint has separated out, into a
liquid layer of thin black stuff, over what seems to be black concrete.

Trying to answer two posts at once: I haven't got a tin of blackboard
paint, only a tin of matt black paint so I haven't been able to make
two boards and compare them for scuff-resistance. So far I haven't
noticed a problem but it is early days and not in a position where it
gets knocked easily. Nor have I had the tins for thirty years, so I
can't say if there are any differences further down the line.

I certainly don't consider myself an expert so I am happy to be proven
wrong. This all began when I bought a tin of International black matt
paint which said "suitable for blackboards" but then I noticed they
sold a special blackboard paint. I asked them what the difference was
and even they weren't sure! Since then I have seen some shops selling
one tin (of other brands) that is labeled as both matt
black/blackboard so for those manufacturers the matt black and
blackboard paint is one and the same. Clearly with other
manufacturers, e.g. International, they are two different products.

The suggestions here that blackboard paint should contain an abrasive
made sense and perhaps that is the sediment you saw? But who knows how
the formulations have changed in the last thirty years?

As far as the international paints go, neither they nor I could really
tell a difference but YMMV! I painted onto mdf with a roller if that
makes any difference?

Of course you aren't allowed by the PC police to have 'blackboards'
these days... ;--)

I'd have thought that blackboard paint would contain some material
much harder than chalk to break down the chalkstick without being
degraded itself. In reality very few 'blackboards' were actually
totally black, especially after being wiped by those unfortunate
school pupils nominated to "clean the board" :-)

Are roller blackboards such as molished by 'Wilson & Garden' still in
use, or are they all now replaced by those 'interactive' white boards
(which sound just as much non-PC)

--
Frank Erskine