Posted to uk.d-i-y
spamlet spamlet is offline

Default blackboard paint, an UPDATE

"Fred" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 03:40:14 -0800 (PST), Andy Dingley
wrote:

Blackboard paint is similar, but with sufficient voodoo added (maybe
just more of the same filler) that it looks the same, but the surface
is mechanically rough enough to allow chalk to write on it.

If you paint a blackboard with matt black paint, you get something
that looks exactly like a blackboard, except that the chalk won't
stick!

Hello,

A long time ago, I asked whether blackboard paint and matt black paint
were the same. The confusion was because International paints sold two
different tins but then contradicted themselves by advertising the
matt black paint as "suitable for blackboards"! I asked International
what the difference was between the two and even they didn't know!

It was suggested here that blackboard paint was more abrasive, so that
the chalk rubbed off onto it. Someone else said try some and see and
let us know, so sorry for the delay but I have finally tried rolling
some matt black paint onto an off cut of mdf and the chalk works
perfectly. Since then I have seen a number of other manufacturers
selling one tin for both matt black and blackboard use, so I think e
can conclude that the two are pretty much the same.

HTH

How do they compare for marks?
I recall things I used to paint with matt black, looked good so long as one
didn't brush against them: didn't actually need chalk to write on them!