Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ceramic sink knockout

I've just received a ceramic sink, Belfast 200 from Carron phoenix and I am
informed that I need to open a hole in the centre to allow a tap to be
fitted. The area that the tap is located is pre prepared underneath for
cutting through the ceramic surface. However, I'm not sure how to actually
cut through the pre- prepared area in order to fit the tap. It appears to be
scored underneath.
Does anyone have any experience in opening a hole in this ceramic double
sink. Do I need to score the glazed top surface? and how do I do that to
prevent the glazed surface from splintering and or cracking. I would be
grateful if you could pass on any tips or advice that may be relevant.

Regards

Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:
I've just received a ceramic sink, Belfast 200 from Carron phoenix and I am
informed that I need to open a hole in the centre to allow a tap to be
fitted. The area that the tap is located is pre prepared underneath for
cutting through the ceramic surface. However, I'm not sure how to actually
cut through the pre- prepared area in order to fit the tap. It appears to be
scored underneath.
Does anyone have any experience in opening a hole in this ceramic double
sink. Do I need to score the glazed top surface? and how do I do that to
prevent the glazed surface from splintering and or cracking. I would be
grateful if you could pass on any tips or advice that may be relevant.

Regards

Don

not sure if its the same as ours but the fitter tapped ours through with
a hammer and small socket as a punch

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kevin" wrote in message
Donwill wrote:
[...]

Which side did he knock it out from? from underneath, that is the unglazed
side or from the top? did he have to cut through the glaze first?

Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:36:50 +0100, "Donwill" popple @diddle .dot
wrote:

I've just received a ceramic sink, Belfast 200 from Carron phoenix and I am
informed that I need to open a hole in the centre to allow a tap to be
fitted. The area that the tap is located is pre prepared underneath for
cutting through the ceramic surface. However, I'm not sure how to actually
cut through the pre- prepared area in order to fit the tap. It appears to be
scored underneath.
Does anyone have any experience in opening a hole in this ceramic double
sink. Do I need to score the glazed top surface? and how do I do that to
prevent the glazed surface from splintering and or cracking. I would be
grateful if you could pass on any tips or advice that may be relevant.

Regards

Don

I guess they do it that way in case you want to have the tap situated
outside the sink itself .

When you say
"I need to open a hole in the centre" where exactly is the tap being
fitted . This is the bit that confuses me .

"The area that the tap is located is pre prepared underneath"
Underneath what?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:
"Kevin" wrote in message
Donwill wrote:
[...]

I missed belfast bit earlier, email the company and ask them as they
should know, but our sink the hole was knocked down

--
Kevin R
Reply address works

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:

I've just received a ceramic sink, Belfast 200 from Carron phoenix and I am
informed that I need to open a hole in the centre to allow a tap to be
fitted. The area that the tap is located is pre prepared underneath for
cutting through the ceramic surface. However, I'm not sure how to actually
cut through the pre- prepared area in order to fit the tap. It appears to be
scored underneath.
Does anyone have any experience in opening a hole in this ceramic double
sink. Do I need to score the glazed top surface? and how do I do that to
prevent the glazed surface from splintering and or cracking. I would be
grateful if you could pass on any tips or advice that may be relevant.

I bottled out of using a punch and hammer on my new £150 sink and
drilled mine out with progressively larger masonry bits..

Cheers,

Paul.

how to file a small recess in a ceramic sink? Martin Evans UK diy 7 August 26th 06 04:17 PM
Reginox Ceramic sink wattie UK diy 1 February 22nd 06 03:01 PM
Greenlee Knockout Punch vs. Stainless Sink Robert Barr Home Repair 0 March 10th 05 03:07 AM
Greenlee knockout punch on SS sink? Robert Barr Home Repair 5 March 2nd 05 03:48 PM
Very Basic - Sealing a tap - ceramic sink Bob Mannix UK diy 2 July 11th 03 09:52 PM