Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sonic Repellers for mice

Hi,

I want to know if such devices as sonic repellers to deter mice and
rats and other rodents are actually effective.

For example the B&Q Rat & Mouse Repeller at

http://tinyurl.com/5a589b

Does anyone have any first hand experience of these devices, do they
really work?

Thanks very much for your opinions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
de_ja writes:
Hi,

I want to know if such devices as sonic repellers to deter mice and
rats and other rodents are actually effective.

Some friends have mice and tried them. They think they
might have worked for a week, but certainly no longer.
They might not have worked at all -- could just be
coincidence they didn't see any for a week.

As with the mosquito thread, I would not assume that
just because you can't hear a sound, it's not doing
your hearing some harm. Many pets will be able to hear
them too.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article
,
de_ja writes:
Hi,

I want to know if such devices as sonic repellers to deter mice and
rats and other rodents are actually effective.

Some friends have mice and tried them. They think they
might have worked for a week, but certainly no longer.
They might not have worked at all -- could just be
coincidence they didn't see any for a week.

As with the mosquito thread, I would not assume that
just because you can't hear a sound, it's not doing
your hearing some harm. Many pets will be able to hear
them too.

And people below the age of 25. Apparently rodents very quickly learn to
tolerate the noise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

de_ja wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/5a589b

Does anyone have any first hand experience of these devices, do they
really work?

We tried them, and they didn't work.

--
Grunff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

de_ja wrote:
Hi,

I want to know if such devices as sonic repellers to deter mice and
rats and other rodents are actually effective.

For example the B&Q Rat & Mouse Repeller at

http://tinyurl.com/5a589b

Does anyone have any first hand experience of these devices, do they
really work?

Thanks very much for your opinions.

You could try installing a Mosquito device to repel the little beggars (mice
that is) - or even try the old fashioned method of a mouse (or rat) trap
baited with a bit of cheese (very effective, I once caught 6 mice in a four
hour period in an old builders canteen and could eat in peace) - BUT I
forgot, that would infringe the 'mouses[1]-rights' to life (put in for the
do-gooders and the sqeamish) reading this!

On a serious note: if they are getting into the house, I would suggest that
you look for the entrance point(s) and signs of nests, eradicate these and
then kill the unwanted guests.

If they are in the garden, then no matter what you do, they will still turn
up and I would suggest setting pet and kiddie proof traps to kill them -
although depending on your location, that may be like spitting against the
wind.

[1] Deliberately spelled that way!

Tanner-'op

Posted to uk.d-i-y

de_ja writes:
Hi,

I want to know if such devices as sonic repellers to deter mice and
rats and other rodents are actually effective.

Some friends have mice and tried them. They think they
might have worked for a week, but certainly no longer.
They might not have worked at all -- could just be
coincidence they didn't see any for a week.

As with the mosquito thread, I would not assume that
just because you can't hear a sound, it's not doing
your hearing some harm. Many pets will be able to hear
them too.

And people below the age of 25.

It might drown out their mobile ringtone...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 05:32:02 -0700, de_ja wrote:

Does anyone have any first hand experience of these devices, do they
really work?

I know some folks who have used electronic rat repellents that use both
ultrasonic and rf (radio) transmitters. Much to my surprise and some
scepticism they claim they work. I think they said the radio mode was
particularly effective.

As with electronic/electrolytic/magnetic scale inhibitors I suspect the
operative pharse is YMMV: they may work for you, but are not a bulletproof
solution.

--
John Stumbles

A backstreet vasectomy left me sterile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 05:32:02 -0700 (PDT), de_ja wrote:

Does anyone have any first hand experience of these devices, do they
really work?

Along with most other postings I don't think they do as a long term
solution. Mice can certainly hear them and with the model we had so could
I. I know the mice could hear it as they jump when you turn it on but they
don't go scarpering away from it...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks very much, I think I'll board up suspected entry points and
then use humane traps if necessary. - Cheaper than the sonic repeller.

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:

I know some folks who have used electronic rat repellents that use both
ultrasonic and rf (radio) transmitters. Much to my surprise and some
scepticism they claim they work. I think they said the radio mode was
particularly effective.

Well, a friend had a white rat kept in a wire cage that didn't much like
him running a transmitter on 432MHz for some reason... Used to jump
about a bit!

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 05:32:02 -0700 (PDT), de_ja wrote:

Does anyone have any first hand experience of these devices, do they
really work?

Along with most other postings I don't think they do as a long term
solution. Mice can certainly hear them and with the model we had so could
I. I know the mice could hear it as they jump when you turn it on but they
don't go scarpering away from it...

Can't comment on mice, but I have found that the ultrasound devices work
on rats. I had a severe problem with rats coming in to lofts by climbing
up flint walls and climbers. I was very sceptical but tried one about
four years ago after despairing over repeated smelly bodies after using
poison. Problem solved. I then bought two more for the other lofts and
have never had a problem since. I sometimes hear a rat exploring the
loft but it then goes and doesn't come back. Perhaps those who have
found them ineffective have not put them in the loft but tried them in
rooms beneath the loft as some suppliers suggest? It is a nuisance to
provide mains power for them but I think they are most effective that
way. Mine are in lofts with 20 cm of glass fibre insulation as well. I
mount them as high as possible to give best coverage. Make sure you get
one that varies the pitch and vibration of the sound and sends a signal
into the mains.

I was a bit bothered by a reference to a 'humane trap'. I hope that this
is a device that catches them humanely for later quick killing. I have
heard people say that they catch rodents in towns then 'take them out to
the country' to dispose of them. No thanks!! We grow our own.

Peter Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter
Scott writes
I have heard people say that they catch rodents in towns then 'take
them out to the country' to dispose of them.

I think that's actually illegal!

No thanks!! We grow our own.

Peter Scott

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message

from de_ja contains these words:

Hi,

I want to know if such devices as sonic repellers to deter mice and
rats and other rodents are actually effective.

For example the B&Q Rat & Mouse Repeller at

http://tinyurl.com/5a589b

Does anyone have any first hand experience of these devices, do they
really work?

Thanks very much for your opinions.

The little ones are toys. Expect to pay around £150 for a good
commercial one. Excellent within large exposed spaces like barns, lofts
and yards enclosed by stone walls. Virtually useless elsewhere.
Interesting effects on bats and would be completely illegal to use if
bats were present. I'm totally certain (! :-) ) t hat no-one here would
even think of using them in such circumstances.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The little ones are toys.

Not my experience as I said earlier.

Expect to pay around £150 for a good
commercial one. Excellent within large exposed spaces like barns, lofts
and yards enclosed by stone walls. Virtually useless elsewhere.

Interesting effects on bats and would be completely illegal to use if
bats were present. I'm totally certain (! :-) ) t hat no-one here would
even think of using them in such circumstances.

Yes I wondered about that. I thought perhaps bats used much higher
frequencies than the repellers, about 150 kHz and higher.

Peter Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clint Sharp wrote:
In message , Peter
Scott writes
I have heard people say that they catch rodents in towns then 'take
them out to the country' to dispose of them.

I think that's actually illegal!

No thanks!! We grow our own.

Peter Scott

What??? A law that actually makes sense. What is this country coming to?

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 May 2008 18:05:47 +0100, Peter Scott wrote:

Yes I wondered about that. I thought perhaps bats used much higher
frequencies than the repellers, about 150 kHz and higher.

Depends on the species, most use bewteen 20kHz and 100kHz:

http://www.bats.org.uk/helpline/help..._bat_detectors.
asp

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 03 May 2008 18:05:47 +0100, Peter Scott wrote:

Yes I wondered about that. I thought perhaps bats used much higher
frequencies than the repellers, about 150 kHz and higher.

Depends on the species, most use bewteen 20kHz and 100kHz:

http://www.bats.org.uk/helpline/help..._bat_detectors.
asp

I wonder if the sound can cause them direction problems if it leaks out
through the roof? I suppose they would 'see' the radiation as a solid
wall and so avoid it?

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Scott wrote:
I wonder if the sound can cause them direction problems if it leaks out
through the roof? I suppose they would 'see' the radiation as a solid
wall and so avoid it?

I suspect they'd perceive it the way we perceive a bright light at
night. If not "dazzled" they'd go somewhere else...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
s.com, de_ja writes

Does anyone have any first hand experience of these devices, do they
really work?

They have worked for me on 3 different sites.

--
(\__/) Bunny says NO to Windows Vista!
(='.'=) http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mike Tomlinson
wrote:
Does anyone have any first hand experience of these devices, do
they really work?

They have worked for me on 3 different sites.

Waste of money here.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island
Posted to uk.d-i-y

We've tried ultrasonic mouse repellers and they never seemed to work.
Used to watch mice running right past it, regardless. But a couple of
a months ago a friend recommended this to us:
http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/mic...ouse-p-36.html

Apparently it uses electromagnets as well as ultrasound - didn't
really believe it, but it's worked. Haven't seen one since...

On 10 May, 20:58, Sandy Morton wrote:
In article , Mike Tomlinson

wrote:
Does anyone have any first hand experience of these devices, do
they really work?

They have worked for me on 3 different sites.

Waste of money here.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island
In the Global Village

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
We've tried ultrasonic mouse repellers and they never seemed to work.
Used to watch mice running right past it, regardless. But a couple of
a months ago a friend recommended this to us:
http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/mic...ouse-p-36.html

Apparently it uses electromagnets as well as ultrasound - didn't
really believe it, but it's worked. Haven't seen one since...

Hmm, and what's the theory behind it all? I presume it softens the mice and
improves their mpg at the same time? Extraordinary claims need extraordinary
proof etc. etc.

Less than 1% returned isn't proof of efficacy, just evidence of human
nature.

Tim