Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Scott Peter Scott is offline

Default Sonic Repellers for mice

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 05:32:02 -0700 (PDT), de_ja wrote:

Does anyone have any first hand experience of these devices, do they
really work?

Along with most other postings I don't think they do as a long term
solution. Mice can certainly hear them and with the model we had so could
I. I know the mice could hear it as they jump when you turn it on but they
don't go scarpering away from it...

Can't comment on mice, but I have found that the ultrasound devices work
on rats. I had a severe problem with rats coming in to lofts by climbing
up flint walls and climbers. I was very sceptical but tried one about
four years ago after despairing over repeated smelly bodies after using
poison. Problem solved. I then bought two more for the other lofts and
have never had a problem since. I sometimes hear a rat exploring the
loft but it then goes and doesn't come back. Perhaps those who have
found them ineffective have not put them in the loft but tried them in
rooms beneath the loft as some suppliers suggest? It is a nuisance to
provide mains power for them but I think they are most effective that
way. Mine are in lofts with 20 cm of glass fibre insulation as well. I
mount them as high as possible to give best coverage. Make sure you get
one that varies the pitch and vibration of the sound and sends a signal
into the mains.

I was a bit bothered by a reference to a 'humane trap'. I hope that this
is a device that catches them humanely for later quick killing. I have
heard people say that they catch rodents in towns then 'take them out to
the country' to dispose of them. No thanks!! We grow our own.

Peter Scott