Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rain anyone ?

Well, the day started absolutely scorching, but by 4pm the rainclouds
had gathered.

Lets put it this way, i've had a PC or two on 24/7 since ~1993 and
today was the first time I not only switched them off, but also
_unplugged_ them and the router.

Lightning like we've never seen it, extremely heavy rain lasting about
an hour, and this was the road outside - luckily we're in the
"shallow" end (!)

http://www.coreutilities.co.uk/rain.jpg

Yes, that kid is ass deep in water, and the pavement where the bike is
happens to be a double-height kerb.

This crazy barsteward drove through it - he looks artificially high
here because he's going over a speed hump (!)

http://www.coreutilities.co.uk/rain2.jpg

And last but not least, here's a (cropped) pic of my neighbour - quite
a lot of symmetry to it, even if I do say so myself...

http://www.coreutilities.co.uk/rain3.jpg

We had no patio left (developed a free swimming pool - 4-5" of water),
and it came to within an inch of breaching the damp course.

Just to top it all off, we've got a flat-roofed extension, and it
started to leak where it met the back wall of the house :-} (luckily
it's just "damp" not ****ing in !)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 11 May 2008 22:40:38 +0100, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:

Well, the day started absolutely scorching, but by 4pm the rainclouds
had gathered.

Lets put it this way, i've had a PC or two on 24/7 since ~1993 and
today was the first time I not only switched them off, but also
_unplugged_ them and the router.

Lightning like we've never seen it, extremely heavy rain lasting about
an hour, and this was the road outside - luckily we're in the
"shallow" end (!)

Whereabouts are you? It's been quite a nice day here today, warm,
albeit a bit of a sea-fret close to the coast, but there's been no
precipitation yet (famous last words!).

At about 4pm I was walking the dog in a country park, eating an
ice-cream, and wearing shorts and a polo shirt. Just a little cooler
tonight as I went to the pub.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Whereabouts are you?

Liverpool
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message g...
Well, the day started absolutely scorching, but by 4pm the rainclouds
had gathered.

We had a pleasant walk in the dales - got to hear thunder for about an hour,
saw a few proper flashes over 10 minutes, and saw the rain coming down hard
over Ingleborough. We remained completely dry :-)

(good clouds too)

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson wrote:
[...]

We had it Friday evening (after a warm day) for around three hours or so
covering the Southwest and South Wales. For a while, the storm was eerily
'silent' with huge lightning flashes every few minutes lighting up the dark
sky - and not a sound.

Then came the sound effects, thunder that seemed to roll around for minutes
on end after each lightning flash -and then the crescendo with the added
rain - and was it a fantastic, nature flexing its muscles. :-)

No problem with flooding where I was though - but I live on the top of a
bloody great hill :-)

Tanner-'op

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No problem with flooding where I was though - but I live on the top of a
bloody great hill :-)

We're not in an area particularly known for flooding ourselves (no
water courses nearby etc) - i've been here 19 years, and i've seen it
get to a few inches under really heavy rain, but nothing like this :-}
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Colin
Wilson o.uk scribeth
thus
Well, the day started absolutely scorching, but by 4pm the rainclouds
had gathered.

Lets put it this way, i've had a PC or two on 24/7 since ~1993 and
today was the first time I not only switched them off, but also
_unplugged_ them and the router.

Lightning like we've never seen it, extremely heavy rain lasting about
an hour, and this was the road outside - luckily we're in the
"shallow" end (!)

http://www.coreutilities.co.uk/rain.jpg

Yes, that kid is ass deep in water, and the pavement where the bike is
happens to be a double-height kerb.

Boyz will be boyz eh?, used to love floods when I were a nipper etc..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tanner-'op tannerop@i.
?.?.?.?.?.nvalid.com scribeth thus
Colin Wilson wrote:
[...]

Mind the lightning then!...

Remember the 30 / 30 rule..

Inside when the flash to bang is less than 30 seconds .. and outside 30
mins after the last flash..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson wrote:
[...]

Maybe I'm being thick early on a Monday morning, but wanna clarify the
above?!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 May, 23:32, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:
Whereabouts are you?

Liverpool

I was over in Neston on the Wirral during the rain and thunderstorm -
not quite as bad as you described it, but fairly severe nonetheless.

Having read the news this morning about Liverpool Airport etc, I was
particularly surprised as when I arrived home in Frodsham some 3 hours
later it was completely bone dry - there had not been a drop of rain,
and we are only about 2-3 miles (as the crow flies) from the airport!

Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson wrote:
[...]

That rule is no fun, I love a good thunderstorm and will stay outside to
watch until the rain starts to fall rather heavily and I've been doing that
ever since I was a small nipper - great stuff :-)

Tanner-'op

Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk wrote:

Well, the day started absolutely scorching, but by 4pm the rainclouds
had gathered.

We had a shower of rocks thrown by the local chavs about 4.15PM.
That's some mega rain you've had.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 May, 23:32, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:
Whereabouts are you?

Liverpool

Is it nice living opposite a jail? If it's not a jail, what is it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it nice living opposite a jail? If it's not a jail, what is it?

It's actually a library / nursery / job centre / sports hall
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No problem with flooding where I was though - but I live on the top
of a bloody great hill :-)

Tanner-'op

Mind the lightning then!...

Remember the 30 / 30 rule..

Inside when the flash to bang is less than 30 seconds .. and outside
30 mins after the last flash..

Tony,

That rule is no fun, I love a good thunderstorm and will stay outside to
watch until the rain starts to fall rather heavily and I've been doing that
ever since I was a small nipper - great stuff :-)

Tanner-'op

Rules are for the guidance of wise men, but the strict obeyance of
idiots and other feeble minded persons...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message g...
Whereabouts are you?

Liverpool

^^^^

Salright then............

;-)

trampoline and rain misterroy UK diy 13 September 10th 07 07:37 PM
Rain Chains - Have you used them? steve Home Repair 1 April 26th 07 02:26 PM
rain drains Kathy Home Repair 5 October 16th 06 05:27 PM
Rain Don't Wait for No Man Fly-by-Night CC Woodworking 2 September 15th 05 03:46 PM
Rain m Ransley Home Repair 24 July 7th 04 03:57 AM