Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Rain anyone ?

In article , Tanner-'op tannerop@i.
?.?.?.?.?.nvalid.com scribeth thus
Colin Wilson wrote:
Well, the day started absolutely scorching, but by 4pm the rainclouds
had gathered.

Lets put it this way, i've had a PC or two on 24/7 since ~1993 and
today was the first time I not only switched them off, but also
_unplugged_ them and the router.

Lightning like we've never seen it, extremely heavy rain lasting about
an hour, and this was the road outside - luckily we're in the
"shallow" end (!)

http://www.coreutilities.co.uk/rain.jpg

Yes, that kid is ass deep in water, and the pavement where the bike is
happens to be a double-height kerb.

This crazy barsteward drove through it - he looks artificially high
here because he's going over a speed hump (!)

http://www.coreutilities.co.uk/rain2.jpg

And last but not least, here's a (cropped) pic of my neighbour - quite
a lot of symmetry to it, even if I do say so myself...

http://www.coreutilities.co.uk/rain3.jpg

We had no patio left (developed a free swimming pool - 4-5" of water),
and it came to within an inch of breaching the damp course.

Just to top it all off, we've got a flat-roofed extension, and it
started to leak where it met the back wall of the house :-} (luckily
it's just "damp" not ****ing in !)

We had it Friday evening (after a warm day) for around three hours or so
covering the Southwest and South Wales. For a while, the storm was eerily
'silent' with huge lightning flashes every few minutes lighting up the dark
sky - and not a sound.

Then came the sound effects, thunder that seemed to roll around for minutes
on end after each lightning flash -and then the crescendo with the added
rain - and was it a fantastic, nature flexing its muscles. :-)

No problem with flooding where I was though - but I live on the top of a
bloody great hill :-)

Tanner-'op

Mind the lightning then!...

Remember the 30 / 30 rule..

Inside when the flash to bang is less than 30 seconds .. and outside 30
mins after the last flash..
--
Tony Sayer