Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cistern leak with Wirquin dual flush from B&Q

Hi

I have just fitted a Wirquin dual flush from B&Q to our close-coupled
toilet. Works fine but there is a very small leak from the connection
between the toilet and the cistern. I took it all apart yestereday
evening and nipped up the back nut but the leak is stilll there. I
don't want to overtighten it and I have read elsewhere that its not a
good idea to put a sealant on plastic/rubber fittings.

I am assuming that tightening the doughnut washer by doing up the wing
nuts won't help here (the toilet has not been flushed).

Any suggestions please?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DavidA" wrote in message
Hi

I have just fitted a Wirquin dual flush from B&Q to our close-coupled
toilet. Works fine but there is a very small leak from the connection
between the toilet and the cistern. I took it all apart yestereday
evening and nipped up the back nut but the leak is stilll there. I
don't want to overtighten it and I have read elsewhere that its not a
good idea to put a sealant on plastic/rubber fittings.

I am assuming that tightening the doughnut washer by doing up the wing
nuts won't help here (the toilet has not been flushed).

Any suggestions please?

David

Do you mean it leaks all the time - not just when it is flushed?

Does it leak more when it is flushed?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 21, 9:47*am, "John" wrote:
"DavidA" wrote in message

Hi

I have just fitted a Wirquin dual flush from B&Q to our close-coupled
toilet. Works fine but there is a very small leak from the connection
between the toilet and the cistern. I took it all apart yestereday
evening and nipped up the back nut but the leak is stilll there. I
don't want to overtighten it and I have read elsewhere that its not a
good idea to put a sealant on plastic/rubber fittings.

I am assuming that tightening the doughnut washer by doing up the wing
nuts won't help here (the toilet has not been flushed).

Any suggestions please?

David

Do you mean it leaks all the time - not just when it is flushed?

Does it leak more when it is flushed?

My new bowl and cistern from B & Q leaked at the doughnut joint, IME
where the pipe leaves the cistern isn't usually a problem. Took mine
apart, fitted new doughnut, OK now. Best not to use sealants,
otherwise may be very difficult to seperate later. BTW, on my
cistern, it has to be removed from the bowl in order to fit a new
syphon flap-washer, as the syphon is one-piece. Old one had a joint
in it, bit with the flap-washer lifted out for maintenance. All down
to cost-cutting!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

Do you mean it leaks all the time - not just when it is flushed?

Does it leak more when it is flushed?

OP stated that the toilet had NOT been flushed as yet. Has the OP looked at
the bolts that come through the base of the cistern? Are these done up
tightly before installing the cistern on the pan and are the conical rubber
washers the right waty up i.e. pointed end into the hole of the cistern and
the washer installed on the outside of the cistern?

HTH

Jogb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

Do you mean it leaks all the time - not just when it is flushed?

Yes, it leaks all the time.

Does it leak more when it is flushed?

Can't tell as yet.

Has the OP looked at the bolts that come through the base of the
cistern? *Are these done up tightly before installing the cistern ...

On my cistern the bolts do not go through the cistern. From top down I
have:

Flush device
Rubber washer
Cistern bottom
Mounting plate (with slots for bolts)
Plastic back nut
Doughnut
Toilet.

Still leaking...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DavidA wrote:
Hi

I have just fitted a Wirquin dual flush from B&Q to our close-coupled
toilet. Works fine but there is a very small leak from the connection
between the toilet and the cistern. I took it all apart yestereday
evening and nipped up the back nut but the leak is stilll there. I
don't want to overtighten it and I have read elsewhere that its not a
good idea to put a sealant on plastic/rubber fittings.

I am assuming that tightening the doughnut washer by doing up the wing
nuts won't help here (the toilet has not been flushed).

Any suggestions please?

They do that - cisterns I mean. PITA.

I always use Plumbers Mait around the outside of the donut & under the steel
washers above the wing nuts to be sure I don't get a call back.

Some instruction leaflets suggest it, some don't.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Removing the top of modern dual flush cistern dmc UK diy 2 November 17th 07 09:11 PM
Wirquin Dual Flush - how does it work ? peterd UK diy 3 July 8th 06 01:58 PM
Installed a dual flush toilet cistern outlet valve to save water [email protected] UK diy 0 January 23rd 06 05:51 AM
Dual flush Cistern Eadwald UK diy 4 October 26th 05 12:56 PM
Wirquin dual-flush button Bob UK diy 3 July 3rd 05 09:38 PM