Gas boiler maintenance - how often?

Old November 13th 07, 12:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas boiler maintenance - how often?

"adder1969" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 12 Nov, 19:15, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
"Mike Barnes" wrote in message

In uk.d-i-y, Malcolm H wrote:
I had a new Potterton Suprima installed in February 2004. It has
operated
faultlessly ever since and I'm reluctant to have it serviced using the
principle "If it ain't broke don't fix it".
The burner flames look the same as when the boiler was new (blue with
small
red flickers at the top).
Bearing in mind that natural gas is extremely clean, is there really any
need for frequent routine maintenance?
I'm not bothered by the cost but concerned that careless maintence might
more harm than good.

FWIW we had an Ideal Mexico 2 installed in May 1997 and my nerve has
given out at last so it's just had it's first service. The engineer said
it was just about due for cleaning but not overdue by a long way. I know
you said cost wasn't relevant to you, but it might be to other readers,
so I'll add that it took him about an hour and a half and the cost was
35. It might have cost more except that he didn't have a new
thermocouple to fit (he said they tend to burn out and replacing an old
one was a worth-while investment), but he said he'll pop back with one.

35 for 1.5 hours. He doesn't make much money then.- Hide quoted text -

..1.5 hours to clean? He's not very fast either!

He is very, very cheap.

Old November 13th 07, 10:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Malcolm H" writes:
I had a new Potterton Suprima installed in February 2004. It has operated
faultlessly ever since and I'm reluctant to have it serviced using the
principle "If it ain't broke don't fix it".
The burner flames look the same as when the boiler was new (blue with small
red flickers at the top).
Bearing in mind that natural gas is extremely clean, is there really any
need for frequent routine maintenance?
I'm not bothered by the cost but concerned that careless maintence might to
more harm than good.
Any comments?

My parents have a Potterton Suprima installed in 2000.
I have checked the CO/CO2 ratio a few times, but it's miles
off needing a service from that point of view -- in 3 years
it's increased only from 0.00064 to 0.00077.

When my Potterton Profile got to at least 7 years since
servicing (and probably longer as I have no record of when
the previous owners had it done), I decided to open and
clean it even though it was not showing any need for it.
There was no visible dirt inside other than the odd insect
which had been drawn into the air intake and setting
harmlessly out of the way. The cleaning took the CO/CO2
ratio from 0.00029 down to 0.00026, and by any stretch of
the imagination, wasn't worth doing verses the risk of
damaging something in the process.

Under British Gas's operation procedures, neither of these
boilers would have been serviced following an annual check
at these CO/CO2 ratios. Unless you have the ability to
measure the CO/CO2 ratio, you can't tell this though.
When a boiler starts burning poorly, it will deteriorate
very quickly -- the final stage isn't linear.

It is very important that open-flued boilers are serviced
annually, as the consequences of poor combustion, particularly
if caused by poor flue draw, are likely to be fatal.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old November 14th 07, 08:04 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
"Malcolm H" writes:
[...]

Very interesting! Can you recommend a CO/CO2 ratio tester suitable for
domestic use?

Old November 14th 07, 08:58 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Malcolm H" writes:
Very interesting! Can you recommend a CO/CO2 ratio tester suitable for
domestic use?

I use a Kane 250. You have to do the ratio calculation yourself.
(I believe the Kane 400 does it for you).

For just looking after your own boiler, buying a flue gas analyser
isn't going to be worth it -- they're too expensive. Also bare in
mind that you'll have to spend about 200 every 2 years to keep
it working and calibrated.

You can hire them.

Actually, just to add to my earlier post, I also look after a
condensing boiler -- a Keston Celcius 25. This does need more
attention than the non-condensing boilers. This falls into 2
categories: extra complexity such as a condensate drain to
become blocked or a flue pipe which isn't waterproof, and
newer technology teething problems, such as melting ignition
electrodes. I think there's much less chance you could run a
condensing boiler problem-free for 10 years without servicing.
Also its CO2 levels drift more between servicing than conventional
boilers, although I somehow doubt many CORGI service engineers
would go to the same lengths I do to adjust that for optimal
operation.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old November 14th 07, 09:12 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Malcolm H" writes:
[...]

Thank you Andrew. As you say a bit expensive!

Do you think a simple dismantle and clean every 7 years or so should be
sufficient for a Potterton Suprima?

Old November 14th 07, 08:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Malcolm H
writes

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
. ..
[...]