Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel Doctor Drivel is offline

Default Gas boiler maintenance - how often?

"adder1969" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 12 Nov, 19:15, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:
"Mike Barnes" wrote in message

In uk.d-i-y, Malcolm H wrote:
I had a new Potterton Suprima installed in February 2004. It has
operated
faultlessly ever since and I'm reluctant to have it serviced using the
principle "If it ain't broke don't fix it".
The burner flames look the same as when the boiler was new (blue with
small
red flickers at the top).
Bearing in mind that natural gas is extremely clean, is there really any
need for frequent routine maintenance?
I'm not bothered by the cost but concerned that careless maintence might
more harm than good.

FWIW we had an Ideal Mexico 2 installed in May 1997 and my nerve has
given out at last so it's just had it's first service. The engineer said
it was just about due for cleaning but not overdue by a long way. I know
you said cost wasn't relevant to you, but it might be to other readers,
so I'll add that it took him about an hour and a half and the cost was
£35. It might have cost more except that he didn't have a new
thermocouple to fit (he said they tend to burn out and replacing an old
one was a worth-while investment), but he said he'll pop back with one.

£35 for 1.5 hours. He doesn't make much money then.- Hide quoted text -

..1.5 hours to clean? He's not very fast either!

He is very, very cheap.