Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reverse Polarity Mains Socket -- How Dangerous?

Hi,

Note: This post is talking about UK (220-240V mains supply)

My girlfriend and I recently moved into our newly-purchased house. We
wanted to get the electric meter changed but when the guy came out to
do so, he reported a live reading on the neutral block in our meter
box. This was potentially dangerous, he said, and he called out the
mains engineers. They investigated and couldn't replicate the problem.
They asked if we'd experienced any problems in the house and we hadn't.

Since then we've had three occurrences of the RCDs in our fuse box
tripping. I today bought a standard socket tester and tested every
socket in the house. I've found the culprit to be the mains outlet in
our spare bedroom, which appears to be incorrectly wired, showing a
live/neutral reverse on the tester.

My questions, then...

1) Would this explain both the apparent live neutral reading in our
main meter box and the tripping of the RCDs? I always thought RCDs were
only concerned with earthing faults, not live/neutral reverse polarity
type problems

2) I've been using the sockets in that room with no real probles apart
from the trips. All equipment (TV, XBox, amplifier, phone charger) have
worked OK thus far. Is the socket likely to be causing any harm?

3) Is this potentially dangerous?

4) Is getting this fixed a big (and ergo, expensive) job?

Your help would be much appreciated as I've had surprising difficult
finding any info about this on the web.

Many thanks

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Thelwell" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Since then we've had three occurrences of the RCDs in our fuse box
tripping. I today bought a standard socket tester and tested every
socket in the house. I've found the culprit to be the mains outlet in
our spare bedroom, which appears to be incorrectly wired, showing a
live/neutral reverse on the tester.

4) Is getting this fixed a big (and ergo, expensive) job?

Your help would be much appreciated as I've had surprising difficult
finding any info about this on the web.

Many thanks

Andy

Would just swaping the wires in the plug socket sort it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
"Andrew Thelwell" writes:
Hi,

Note: This post is talking about UK (220-240V mains supply)

My girlfriend and I recently moved into our newly-purchased house. We
wanted to get the electric meter changed but when the guy came out to
do so, he reported a live reading on the neutral block in our meter
box. This was potentially dangerous, he said, and he called out the
mains engineers. They investigated and couldn't replicate the problem.

Well, it's not a problem that goes away by itself.
One of the engineers is wrong.

They asked if we'd experienced any problems in the house and we hadn't.

Since then we've had three occurrences of the RCDs in our fuse box
tripping. I today bought a standard socket tester and tested every
socket in the house. I've found the culprit to be the mains outlet in
our spare bedroom, which appears to be incorrectly wired, showing a
live/neutral reverse on the tester.

My questions, then...

1) Would this explain both the apparent live neutral reading in our
main meter box and the tripping of the RCDs? I always thought RCDs were

No, and No.

only concerned with earthing faults, not live/neutral reverse polarity
type problems

2) I've been using the sockets in that room with no real probles apart
from the trips. All equipment (TV, XBox, amplifier, phone charger) have
worked OK thus far. Is the socket likely to be causing any harm?

Not to the appliances.

3) Is this potentially dangerous?

Yes - there's no fuse in the live.

4) Is getting this fixed a big (and ergo, expensive) job?

It's easy, but this and and RCD trips indicate you should have the
installation inspected. I don't necessarily mean a full inspection
and test, but get an electrician in to give it a quick check, and
advise if anything more substantial is required.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Nov 2006 10:50:10 -0800 someone who may be "Andrew Thelwell"
wrote this:-

3) Is this potentially dangerous?

Yes.

4) Is getting this fixed a big (and ergo, expensive) job?

a) switch off the main switch at the consumer unit. Check that the
lights on the socket tester are now out.

b) unscrew the socket.

c) unscrew the live and neutral wires from the terminals. These are
probably coloured red and black respectively, but may be coloured
brown and blue respectively. There will be one, two or three wires
to each terminal.

d) look at the back of the socket, where there will be terminals
marked L and N for the live and neutral wires.

e) back off the screws fully and then insert the wires into the
correct terminals.

f) check that all wires are secure, pushed in fully and will not
pull out. That includes the earth wires, which you should not have
touched.

g) screw the socket back, checking no wires are trapped. One wire to
each terminal is a lot easier to get back than three and a double
socket is easier than a single.

h) switch on and check the lights on the socket tester. Check the
other sockets.

i) have someone who knows how to do wring look over the
installation. Someone who couldn't be bothered to wire up a socket
correctly will not have bothered with any other work they did, or
tested it.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

1) I can't see how a single socket with live/neutral swaped can explain
a "live" reading on the neutral at the electricity meter. What exactly
did he mean by "live"? I doubt both phase(live) and neutral could be
sitting at 240V. Nor should it be responsible for RCD trips(which
happens because the current on the phase and neutral is different -
i.e. leaking somewhere).

In his position I would have flicked off the main isolater and to see
if the problem cleared, then switched on the MCB's one by one.

Significant voltage on the household neutral (which is what I think he
meant) would suggest to me that it is poorly tied to the suppliers
neutral - and I'd want that fixed urgently.

2) Yes, if a faulty piece of equipment was plugged in. Don't use that
socket

3) Yes, there is something odd happening and needs professional
investigation.

4) Probably not a major expense, if it's an isolated stupid mistake by
a professional or an isolated case of uninformed tinkering. If however
it's the tip of the iceberg of a rewire by a madman, then very urgent
and somewhat expensive work may be required.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

e) back off the screws fully and then insert the wires into the
correct terminals.

You're assuming it's a single isolated fault. Given that there's some
bizarre behaviour, I wouldn't do a quick fix until I was quite clear
about other possible faults.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Thelwell wrote:

My questions, then...

1) Would this explain both the apparent live neutral reading in our
main meter box and the tripping of the RCDs?

No, and no. Did your first engineer say what he was comparing the
neutral with to delcare it "live"?

(if it appeared live compared to the live conductor, then that would
suggest the polarity of your supply is incorrect (unlikely!), however if
he compared it to earth, it may tell you nothing of significance).

I always thought RCDs were
only concerned with earthing faults, not live/neutral reverse polarity
type problems

This is true. They detect inbalance between the current flowing in the
neutral and live conductors.

2) I've been using the sockets in that room with no real probles apart
from the trips. All equipment (TV, XBox, amplifier, phone charger) have
worked OK thus far. Is the socket likely to be causing any harm?
3) Is this potentially dangerous?

In the normal course of operation it will not be explicitly dangerous -
many countries electrical systems do not maintain correct polarisation,
and yet they remain resonably safe. The real danger comes in the event
of a fault that causes the fuse to blow. Even with the fuse blown the
device could still remain "live"

4) Is getting this fixed a big (and ergo, expensive) job?

In itself (the reversed polarity) no, it is trivial. The RCD tripping
however could be due to any number of possible causes, and it will be
harder to identify the culprit.

Your help would be much appreciated as I've had surprising difficult
finding any info about this on the web.

There have been many threads on tracjing down the cause of spurious
trips on RCDs in this group in the past. It may be worth googling for a
few...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Nov 2006 12:28:19 -0800 someone who may be "
wrote this:-

You're assuming it's a single isolated fault.

Indeed. However, fixing this one fault means there is one less
problem to worry about.

Given that there's some
bizarre behaviour, I wouldn't do a quick fix until I was quite clear
about other possible faults.

I don't see how fixing this one particular fault will make any
others worse.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I don't see how fixing this one particular fault will make any
others worse.

What if phase, neutral and earth have all been rotated at both ends?

Maybe phase is connected to the neutral position at this socket and
earth to the live position (and all the colours are wrong because
they've been jumbled at the consumer unit end too).

I've actually seen this done on a boat. It was a corporate event, my
company had hired the yacht, and the skiper proudly gave me the
extension he had made up with a UK socket strip on one end and a schuko
on the other. I suspect he was red/green colour blind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ron Ron is offline

"Andrew Thelwell" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Note: This post is talking about UK (220-240V mains supply)

My girlfriend and I recently moved into our newly-purchased house. We
wanted to get the electric meter changed but when the guy came out to
do so, he reported a live reading on the neutral block in our meter
box. This was potentially dangerous, he said, and he called out the
mains engineers. They investigated and couldn't replicate the problem.
They asked if we'd experienced any problems in the house and we hadn't.

He's a cowboy trying to rip you off. A new house should have an inspection
certificate, so ask for a copy, then contact the person that arranged your
survey and complain. You can't have both live and neutral on a neutral
block or your main fuse would blow. What he has measured is the voltage
between neutral and earth. If you have fluorescent lights this sometimes
happens. It can happen if you have a faulty TV or video.

Since then we've had three occurrences of the RCDs in our fuse box
tripping. I today bought a standard socket tester and tested every
socket in the house. I've found the culprit to be the mains outlet in
our spare bedroom, which appears to be incorrectly wired, showing a
live/neutral reverse on the tester.

That would not cause a problem anywhere else, but should have been checked
before you bought the house. The socket is not connected to anything else
unless it is in a loop. Just rewire it or get the seller to correct it.

My questions, then...

1) Would this explain both the apparent live neutral reading in our
main meter box and the tripping of the RCDs? I always thought RCDs were
only concerned with earthing faults, not live/neutral reverse polarity
type problems

Depending how it is wired and what you use might make one circuit breaker
trip.

2) I've been using the sockets in that room with no real probles apart
from the trips. All equipment (TV, XBox, amplifier, phone charger) have
worked OK thus far. Is the socket likely to be causing any harm?

It will not cause harm, but you will be switching the neutral instead of the
live.

3) Is this potentially dangerous?

Not unless you take something apart and think it is switched off !

4) Is getting this fixed a big (and ergo, expensive) job?

No, get a screwdriver - open the socket after witching the mains off and
make sure that the L terminal is going to RED or BROWN wires and N terminal
to BLACK or BLUE. If they are correct then check inside the consumer unit -
then check for any junction boxes.

Your help would be much appreciated as I've had surprising difficult
finding any info about this on the web.

Many thanks

Andy

There are lots of cowboys about, so don't be conned in to buying new
consumer units or having your home rewired. Don't bother checking for
reputable trades people with trading standards either - they don't bother
checking them out and are not allowed to tell the public even if a company
does have a bad record!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ron wrote:

He's a cowboy trying to rip you off. A new house should have an inspection
certificate, so ask for a copy, then contact the person that arranged your
survey and complain. You can't have both live and neutral on a neutral
block or your main fuse would blow. What he has measured is the voltage
between neutral and earth. If you have fluorescent lights this sometimes
happens. It can happen if you have a faulty TV or video.

Sigh.... Just beware that 'ron' has a poor understanding of electricity
judged from previous ramblings in usenet, and is mostly trolling...

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ron wrote:

My girlfriend and I recently moved into our newly-purchased house. We
wanted to get the electric meter changed but when the guy came out to
do so, he reported a live reading on the neutral block in our meter
box. This was potentially dangerous, he said, and he called out the
mains engineers. They investigated and couldn't replicate the problem.
They asked if we'd experienced any problems in the house and we hadn't.

He's a cowboy trying to rip you off.

I can't see any basis for that conclusion.

A new house should have an inspection
certificate, so ask for a copy, then contact the person that arranged your
survey and complain.

He never said the house was new, only that he purchased it recently.

What he has measured is the voltage
between neutral and earth.

You know this how?

If you have fluorescent lights this sometimes
happens. It can happen if you have a faulty TV or video.

It can also happen when the sky is cloudy. There is however equally
little connection between the observation and your suggested "cause"

Since then we've had three occurrences of the RCDs in our fuse box
tripping. I today bought a standard socket tester and tested every
socket in the house. I've found the culprit to be the mains outlet in
our spare bedroom, which appears to be incorrectly wired, showing a
live/neutral reverse on the tester.

That would not cause a problem anywhere else, but should have been checked
before you bought the house.

Depends on what survey you paid for.

The socket is not connected to anything else
unless it is in a loop.

Which is highly likely...

My questions, then...

1) Would this explain both the apparent live neutral reading in our
main meter box and the tripping of the RCDs? I always thought RCDs were
only concerned with earthing faults, not live/neutral reverse polarity
type problems

Depending how it is wired and what you use might make one circuit breaker
trip.

What makes you say that?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
Andrew Thelwell wrote:
Note: This post is talking about UK (220-240V mains supply)

My girlfriend and I recently moved into our newly-purchased house. We
wanted to get the electric meter changed but when the guy came out to
do so, he reported a live reading on the neutral block in our meter
box. This was potentially dangerous, he said, and he called out the
mains engineers. They investigated and couldn't replicate the problem.
They asked if we'd experienced any problems in the house and we hadn't.

My feeling is to trust the engineers over a meter swapper. Those are
simply 'trained' for the one job and usually not even employees of the
electricity supplier.

Since then we've had three occurrences of the RCDs in our fuse box
tripping.

First, can you be clear about this? Most houses only have the one RCD in
the 'fuse box'. So do you mean MCBs (circuit breakers)? An RCD is easy to
spot - it has a test button on it.

I today bought a standard socket tester and tested every
socket in the house. I've found the culprit to be the mains outlet in
our spare bedroom, which appears to be incorrectly wired, showing a
live/neutral reverse on the tester.

I'm afraid that isn't the 'culprit' for anything.

My questions, then...

1) Would this explain both the apparent live neutral reading in our
main meter box and the tripping of the RCDs? I always thought RCDs were
only concerned with earthing faults, not live/neutral reverse polarity
type problems

No and no. RCDs aren't concerned with earth faults - they work by looking
for imbalance in the line and neutral current flow.

2) I've been using the sockets in that room with no real probles apart
from the trips. All equipment (TV, XBox, amplifier, phone charger) have
worked OK thus far. Is the socket likely to be causing any harm?

Unlikely.

3) Is this potentially dangerous?

Yes. A 13 amp lug fuse is in the line for a good reason. With this socket
it is effectively in the neutral.

4) Is getting this fixed a big (and ergo, expensive) job?

It *should* be merely a matter of swapping the wires to the socket.

Your help would be much appreciated as I've had surprising difficult
finding any info about this on the web.

Like all things you have to ask the right questions to get sensible
answers.

--
*The e-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Nov 2006 10:50:10 -0800, "Andrew Thelwell"
wrote:

Hi,

Note: This post is talking about UK (220-240V mains supply)

My girlfriend and I recently moved into our newly-purchased house. We
wanted to get the electric meter changed but when the guy came out to
do so, he reported a live reading on the neutral block in our meter
box. This was potentially dangerous, he said, and he called out the
mains engineers. They investigated and couldn't replicate the problem.
They asked if we'd experienced any problems in the house and we hadn't.

snip

The house is newly purchased and obviously the electrics are
sub-standard/faulty. Take up the matter with the builder and get them
to come and do a full electrical test and remedy any faults.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Thelwell wrote:

I today bought a standard socket tester and tested every
socket in the house. I've found the culprit to be the mains outlet in
our spare bedroom, which appears to be incorrectly wired, showing a
live/neutral reverse on the tester.

When I encountered this once, it transpired that some of the sockets in
the house had their neutral/live terminals on left/right respectively
and some, presumably a different manufacture, had them the other way
round. The sparks had simply wired them all up the same way without
looking. A point to check when replacing a socket.

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

First, can you be clear about this? Most houses only have the one RCD in
the 'fuse box'.

More than one RCD suggests that it might be a TT installation (i.e. it
has its own earth rod and doesn't rely on an earth connection provided
by the supply company). This could account for a variable voltage
reading between the supply neutral and the local earth.

Is the house out in the sticks and fed via a long overhead line?

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from contains these words:

The house is newly purchased and obviously the electrics are
sub-standard/faulty. Take up the matter with the builder and get them
to come and do a full electrical test and remedy any faults.

Newly purchased doesn't necessarily mean newly built.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi all, I'm the OP,

First off thanks for all the replies -- great to get so much feedback.

Let me clarify a few points... this should help with the discussion:

1) The house is newly-purchased, not a new build. It's a 1930's
semi-detached

2) I may have misled when I referred to RCDs (sorry!). We have two
large rotary switch type things on our consumer unit labelled
"Earth-Leakage Circuit Breaker". There is apparently one on each 'loop'
of the house. It is these that have tripped

3) The problem with the meter when the guy came to change it was that
he was as follows: He had one of those 'mains tester' screwdrivers with
the LEDs in the end that should only light up on when touched to a live
terminal. However, he got it to light up on ALL FOUR terminals attached
to our meter (+ in, - in, + out, - out, yes?). I don't think there was
an suggestion as to the 'size' of the current though. He also got it to
light up when he pressed it to the big grey block (neutral block) in
the meter box, which apparently it shouldn't do. This happenend both
with our consumer unit main isolator turned ON and OFF. It stopped,
however, when he pulled the main fuse out of the meter box.

Two mains engineers from Central Networks came out that night and
tested thoroughly for almost 2 hours in our meter box and around our
roof (we have overhead supply). They found nothing out of place at all.
They asked if we'd experienced any oddities inside the house, which we
hadn't. However, since then we have seen our Earth-Leakage Circuit
Breakers (not RCDs, sorry!) trip three times. Two of these times have
been due to turning on the one socket in the spare room. One other time
the other ELCB tripped when my girlfriend turned on the microwave. All
sockets in the house test out fine using a normal B&Q socket tester,
except the one in the spare room, which shows only one light,
supposedly "L/N Reverse".

Hope this helps -- your further feedback would be much appreciated
based on these additional details.

Thanks!

Andy

Guy King wrote:
The message
from contains these words:

The house is newly purchased and obviously the electrics are
sub-standard/faulty. Take up the matter with the builder and get them
to come and do a full electrical test and remedy any faults.

Newly purchased doesn't necessarily mean newly built.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Thelwell wrote:

Hi all, I'm the OP,

First off thanks for all the replies -- great to get so much feedback.

Let me clarify a few points... this should help with the discussion:

1) The house is newly-purchased, not a new build. It's a 1930's
semi-detached

2) I may have misled when I referred to RCDs (sorry!). We have two
large rotary switch type things on our consumer unit labelled
"Earth-Leakage Circuit Breaker".

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Those. In that case we know a couple of things
straight away. This is oldish wiring, and uses TT earthing, meaning a
local earth rod with high earth impedance.

There is apparently one on each 'loop'
of the house.

Big house then?

It is these that have tripped

ELCBs rarely trip in error. I think I know whats going on now.

3) The problem with the meter when the guy came to change it was that
he was as follows: He had one of those 'mains tester' screwdrivers with
the LEDs in the end that should only light up on when touched to a live
terminal. However, he got it to light up on ALL FOUR terminals attached
to our meter (+ in, - in, + out, - out, yes?). I don't think there was
an suggestion as to the 'size' of the current though. He also got it to
light up when he pressed it to the big grey block (neutral block) in
the meter box, which apparently it shouldn't do. This happenend both
with our consumer unit main isolator turned ON and OFF. It stopped,
however, when he pulled the main fuse out of the meter box.

OK, then we can safely ignore anything he says

Two mains engineers from Central Networks came out that night and
tested thoroughly for almost 2 hours in our meter box and around our
roof (we have overhead supply). They found nothing out of place at all.

And we can safely conclude nothing is out of place at all with your
supply as far as the CU or fusebox.

They asked if we'd experienced any oddities inside the house, which we
hadn't. However, since then we have seen our Earth-Leakage Circuit
Breakers (not RCDs, sorry!) trip three times. Two of these times have
been due to turning on the one socket in the spare room. One other time
the other ELCB tripped when my girlfriend turned on the microwave. All
sockets in the house test out fine using a normal B&Q socket tester,
except the one in the spare room, which shows only one light,
supposedly "L/N Reverse".

OK, I think I see the problem clearly. An ELCB will trip when it sees
large earth currents (unlike RCDs which trip on small earth currents).
This means you have a major fault in whatever appliance caused it to
trip when the socket was switched on. So the microwave and whatever was
plugged into the spare room socket should be taken out of service now,
and some checks done on them later to confirm or deny theyre the
problem.

From everything you say, the only problem with the installation itself

is the swapped wires behind a socket, which is a trivial matter easily
fixed in 2 minutes.

Your 2 faulty appliances would not have tripped anything at your last
house, which I can conclude had low impedance earthing and no RCD.
However on a high impedance earth, which you have here, such faulty
appliances are not safe to use at all.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Thelwell wrote:

Hope this helps -- your further feedback would be much appreciated
based on these additional details.

Thanks!

Andy

Which brings us to the next question, how best to test your probably
faulty appliances. A low cost multimeter can be used to test resistance
from E to L&N pins on the plug, while its not plugged in, and any
controls on the item are set to on. However if the thing has any
electronic power controls, as many appliances now do, this wont test it
fully. Plugging an item into an RCD into a socket would quickly detect
any appliance with an earth leakage fault. Since it looks like you've
got at least 2 bad appliances, I'd get an RCD plug, make it into a
short extension lead, and have it to test things with.

Its a minor plus that youve got ELCBs and not an RCD, or you'd have had
bigger problems.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OK - the extra info helps.

I think you have an older TT installation. This means because your
supply comes in on overhead wires, the earth is provided by you - the
customer, and not by the electricity company (who only supply live and
neutral).

Because customer supplied earths are considered less reliable, slightly
more elaborate protection is provided at the consumer unit (hence your
2 ELCB's).

However ELCB's are the older way of doing it. Now they use RCD's -
which are considered more reliable. (Basically an RCD will work
correctly regardless of how good or bad your earth is, whilst an ELCB
may not).

One option available is a replacement consumer unit with appropriate
RCD's (TT installations usually have 2, one less sensitive one for the
whole house, followed by a second more sensitive one just for the ring
mains).

Another option is to have the TT supply upgraded to TN-C-S (also known
as PME) as well as a simpler single RCD consumer unit (IMO this is the
better option).

Either way I would still have your installation checked out by a
professional, and your earth tested (check they are able to do this).

Regarding the dodgy socket - it could have all 3 wires transposed (live
is connected to neutral, earth to live, and neutral to earth). This
would explain why very low powered devices could be plugged in and work
ok (because they usually don't pass enough current to trip the ELCB),
but anything larger does.

Bear in mind some plug-in socket testers are unable to detect
earth/neutral transposition.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OK, I think I see the problem clearly. An ELCB will trip when it sees
large earth currents (unlike RCDs which trip on small earth currents).
This means you have a major fault in whatever appliance caused it to
trip when the socket was switched on. So the microwave and whatever was
plugged into the spare room socket should be taken out of service now,
and some checks done on them later to confirm or deny theyre the
problem.

It could still be a fault on that socket - and the devices are
performing correctly.

For instance, the microwave could just happened to have been switched
on just as the device on the faulty socket decided to draw more power
(e.g. a phone charger cycling).

A low power device may just be apparently working ok, even though it's
passing current between live and earth (because of faulty household
wiring) - just not quite enough to trip the ELCB all the time.

However if always operating the microwave on a believed good socket
causes a trip, then your explanation and not mine becomes the prime
suspect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Nov 2006 12:47:52 -0800 someone who may be "
wrote this:-

I don't see how fixing this one particular fault will make any
others worse.

What if phase, neutral and earth have all been rotated at both ends?

Then the socket tester would have indicated faults with most of the
other sockets.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Nov 2006 02:18:11 -0800 someone who may be "Andrew Thelwell"
wrote this:-

2) I may have misled when I referred to RCDs (sorry!). We have two
large rotary switch type things on our consumer unit labelled
"Earth-Leakage Circuit Breaker".

Do these things look as if they are 30 years old, or more recent?

There is apparently one on each 'loop'
of the house. It is these that have tripped

What do you mean by 'loop'?

Could you put a photograph of the above and the consumer unit on the
web somewhere?

3) The problem with the meter when the guy came to change it was that
he was as follows: He had one of those 'mains tester' screwdrivers with
the LEDs in the end that should only light up on when touched to a live
terminal.

Notoriously unreliable gadgets, largely useless.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Then the socket tester would have indicated faults with most of the
other sockets.

Not if it was a spur.

(which is most likely for a badly wired add-on)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi, OP here again,

Thanks for the further feedback.

A few more responses:

1) I would doubt that the appliances in the spare room are faulty, to
be honest. They are all very new items: an LCD TV, XBOX 360, amplifier,
laptop... all new or nearly new (nothing older than 18 months). The
socket in that room shows up reversed on my plug-in tester but apart
from twice tripping the ELCB, everything works just fine.

2) The ELCBs look like they may be anything up to 30 years old -- they
don't have a modern look to them, although I've tested them both and
they work fine. I'll try to put up a photo online later. One controls
the kitchen sockets and lights, while the other covers everything else
in the house.

3) The microwave has tripped the kitchen ELCB once and once only when
being turned ON. The 'reversed' spare room socket has (so far) caused
two trips of the other ELCB - once when turning ON the switch (even
though no appliance were actually in operation, although I guess the
LCD TV and XBOX may draw power right away as they have 'stand by' type
function, yes?). The other time it tripped, it was when I turned the
socket OFF (after charging a battery in there for 24 hours+). Does this
give more clues?

4) My plug-in mains tester does not detect earth-neutral transposition
explicitly (it doesn't have it as an option)

Thanks,

Andy

wrote:
Then the socket tester would have indicated faults with most of the
other sockets.

Not if it was a spur.

(which is most likely for a badly wired add-on)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Andrew Thelwell wrote:

Hi all, I'm the OP,

First off thanks for all the replies -- great to get so much feedback.

Let me clarify a few points... this should help with the discussion:

1) The house is newly-purchased, not a new build. It's a 1930's
semi-detached

2) I may have misled when I referred to RCDs (sorry!). We have two
large rotary switch type things on our consumer unit labelled
"Earth-Leakage Circuit Breaker".

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Those. In that case we know a couple of things
straight away. This is oldish wiring, and uses TT earthing, meaning a
local earth rod with high earth impedance.

Yup...

In fact at that age you may find that there is no dedicated earth at
all. Our house was wired in a similar way once, and the only earth was
provided by the gas pipe. It may be worth checking where the earth wires
from the CU (or ELCB if they are external to the CU) go to.

It is these that have tripped

ELCBs rarely trip in error. I think I know whats going on now.

They can however be sensitized by leakage from a faulty applicance such
that they are prompted to trip when a non faulty appliance with a small
legitimate earth leakage (such as a bit of computer kit with RFI filter
on the mains input) is connected.

With a ELCB the liklihood of a trip will also increase as the weather
gets wetter, since this will tend to loawer the earth impedance of
whatever you are using as an earth.

3) The problem with the meter when the guy came to change it was that
he was as follows: He had one of those 'mains tester' screwdrivers with
the LEDs in the end that should only light up on when touched to a live
terminal. However, he got it to light up on ALL FOUR terminals attached
to our meter (+ in, - in, + out, - out, yes?). I don't think there was
an suggestion as to the 'size' of the current though. He also got it to
light up when he pressed it to the big grey block (neutral block) in
the meter box, which apparently it shouldn't do. This happenend both
with our consumer unit main isolator turned ON and OFF. It stopped,
however, when he pulled the main fuse out of the meter box.

OK, then we can safely ignore anything he says

Yup... I am supprised that somone doing this type of job is trusting his
life to one of those toy screwdrivers!

Two mains engineers from Central Networks came out that night and
tested thoroughly for almost 2 hours in our meter box and around our
roof (we have overhead supply). They found nothing out of place at all.

And we can safely conclude nothing is out of place at all with your
supply as far as the CU or fusebox.

They asked if we'd experienced any oddities inside the house, which we
hadn't. However, since then we have seen our Earth-Leakage Circuit
Breakers (not RCDs, sorry!) trip three times. Two of these times have
been due to turning on the one socket in the spare room. One other time
the other ELCB tripped when my girlfriend turned on the microwave. All
sockets in the house test out fine using a normal B&Q socket tester,
except the one in the spare room, which shows only one light,
supposedly "L/N Reverse".

Andrew, what sort of wiring is there in the house? Modern PVC clad stuff
or old rubber or rubber/fabric coated stuff?

OK, I think I see the problem clearly. An ELCB will trip when it sees
large earth currents (unlike RCDs which trip on small earth currents).
This means you have a major fault in whatever appliance caused it to
trip when the socket was switched on. So the microwave and whatever was
plugged into the spare room socket should be taken out of service now,
and some checks done on them later to confirm or deny theyre the
problem.

From everything you say, the only problem with the installation itself

is the swapped wires behind a socket, which is a trivial matter easily
fixed in 2 minutes.

I would tend to agree - the socket polarity fault sounds like it is not
directly related to the tripping problem.

Your 2 faulty appliances would not have tripped anything at your last
house, which I can conclude had low impedance earthing and no RCD.
However on a high impedance earth, which you have here, such faulty
appliances are not safe to use at all.

Note that the faulty appliance could be a fixed one like an immersion
heater, electric shower, cooker element etc - i.e. things that came with
the new house rather than one brought with.

(things with heating elements are prime candidates for high earth leakage)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Nov 2006 06:36:48 -0800 someone who may be "Andrew Thelwell"
wrote this:-

2) The ELCBs look like they may be anything up to 30 years old -- they
don't have a modern look to them, although I've tested them both and
they work fine. I'll try to put up a photo online later. One controls
the kitchen sockets and lights, while the other covers everything else
in the house.

I'll be interested in the photographs. My initial thought was that
they might be voltage operated devices, but it would be difficult to
install two in one installation.

4) My plug-in mains tester does not detect earth-neutral transposition
explicitly (it doesn't have it as an option)

AFAIAA none of them do, because it would be difficult to do in a
cheap bit of equipment.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:41:03 +0000 someone who may be John Rumm
wrote this:-

OK, then we can safely ignore anything he says

Yup... I am supprised that somone doing this type of job is trusting his
life to one of those toy screwdrivers!

Presumably that is the level of training they get now.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Andrew Thelwell wrote:
3) The problem with the meter when the guy came to change it was that
he was as follows: He had one of those 'mains tester' screwdrivers with
the LEDs in the end that should only light up on when touched to a live
terminal. However, he got it to light up on ALL FOUR terminals attached
to our meter (+ in, - in, + out, - out, yes?). I don't think there was
an suggestion as to the 'size' of the current though. He also got it to
light up when he pressed it to the big grey block (neutral block) in
the meter box, which apparently it shouldn't do. This happenend both
with our consumer unit main isolator turned ON and OFF. It stopped,
however, when he pulled the main fuse out of the meter box.

Neon screwdrivers are notoriously unreliable. However, with an overhead
supply it's quite common to have a few volts from neutral to true earth,
and that's what his screwdriver was seeing.

--
*When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Because customer supplied earths are considered less reliable, slightly
more elaborate protection is provided at the consumer unit (hence your
2 ELCB's).

However ELCB's are the older way of doing it. Now they use RCD's -
which are considered more reliable. (Basically an RCD will work
correctly regardless of how good or bad your earth is, whilst an ELCB
may not).

No, an elcb doesnt care how bad the earth impedance is, it will still
work. And even old ELCBs are still orders of magnitude more reliable
than rcds.

One option available is a replacement consumer unit with appropriate
RCD's (TT installations usually have 2, one less sensitive one for the
whole house, followed by a second more sensitive one just for the ring
mains).

this wont solve anything

Another option is to have the TT supply upgraded to TN-C-S (also known
as PME) as well as a simpler single RCD consumer unit (IMO this is the
better option).

nor will this. A single RCD CU is th worst possible optoin in fact, and
will cause the OP even more trouble.

Either way I would still have your installation checked out by a
professional, and your earth tested (check they are able to do this).

earth impedance testing is an easy diy job, and is cheap to do. Not
sure that it would be especially useful though.

Regarding the dodgy socket - it could have all 3 wires transposed (live
is connected to neutral, earth to live, and neutral to earth). This
would explain why very low powered devices could be plugged in and work
ok (because they usually don't pass enough current to trip the ELCB),
but anything larger does.

N/E swaps would fit the symptoms, so would leaky appliances, and less
likely one or 2 other possible faults. I think time for some house-wide
testing, once the socket polarity swaps are sorted. Such testing is
simple to diy.

1 I'd open the Cu and visually check there are no L/N or N/E swaps.
2 I'd check all the sockets for the same thing.
3 I'd insulation test all appliances with a multimeter
4 I'd insulation test fixed items like immersion heater, oven, shower.

If by then the problems havent been sorted I'd be fairly surprised.
NB if the wiring is rubber, dont do 1 or 2, as sisturbing rubber wiring
tends to cause major problems.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Thelwell wrote:

Hi, OP here again,

Thanks for the further feedback.

A few more responses:

1) I would doubt that the appliances in the spare room are faulty, to
be honest. They are all very new items: an LCD TV, XBOX 360, amplifier,
laptop... all new or nearly new (nothing older than 18 months). The
socket in that room shows up reversed on my plug-in tester but apart
from twice tripping the ELCB, everything works just fine.

Theres something more going on if that skt trips the elcb. Fix the
socket polarity swap first, test your appliances for earth leakage.
Either a leaky appliance (you have a lot of faith in new goods), a
miswired exntesion lead or a n/e swap.

2) The ELCBs look like they may be anything up to 30 years old -- they
don't have a modern look to them, although I've tested them both and
they work fine. I'll try to put up a photo online later. One controls
the kitchen sockets and lights, while the other covers everything else
in the house.

photo might tell us if theyre i or v operated, which would help.

3) The microwave has tripped the kitchen ELCB once and once only when
being turned ON. The 'reversed' spare room socket has (so far) caused
two trips of the other ELCB - once when turning ON the switch (even
though no appliance were actually in operation, although I guess the
LCD TV and XBOX may draw power right away as they have 'stand by' type
function, yes?). The other time it tripped, it was when I turned the
socket OFF (after charging a battery in there for 24 hours+). Does this
give more clues?

yes, but nothing definitive.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hello again all,

I've put up a photo of our consumer unit and a close-up of one of the
ELCB's.

They can be found he

http://www.andythelwell.com/cu.jpg
http://www.andythelwell.com/elcb.jpg

both are high-res photos

Your help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Andy

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article .com,
writes:

ELCBs rarely trip in error. I think I know whats going on now.

ELCB's frequently trip in error conditions outside the
house, over which the householder has no control, such
as overlapping earth resistance areas, and other causes
of external ground currents (lightning being a common
one, and someone else's earth leakage being another).
This is why they have a bad reputation for false trips.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
"Andrew Thelwell" writes:
Hello again all,

I've put up a photo of our consumer unit and a close-up of one of the
ELCB's.

They can be found he

http://www.andythelwell.com/cu.jpg
http://www.andythelwell.com/elcb.jpg

both are high-res photos

They are RCD's, not [voltage operated] ELCB's.
RCD's were originally called current operated ELCB's (14th Ed Regs),
but that name didn't stick.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
(Andrew Gabriel) writes:
In article .com,
"Andrew Thelwell" writes:
Hello again all,

I've put up a photo of our consumer unit and a close-up of one of the
ELCB's.

They can be found he

http://www.andythelwell.com/cu.jpg
http://www.andythelwell.com/elcb.jpg

both are high-res photos

They are RCD's, not [voltage operated] ELCB's.
RCD's were originally called current operated ELCB's (14th Ed Regs),
but that name didn't stick.

Come to think of it, the other give-away is that you can't
have multiple [voltage operated] ELCB's on one installation.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "Andrew Thelwell" contains these words:

I've put up a photo of our consumer unit and a close-up of one of the
ELCB's.

This house of your - the roof timbers haven't got "The Ark" burnt into
them somwhere, have they?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article .com,
"Andrew Thelwell" writes:

I've put up a photo of our consumer unit and a close-up of one of the
ELCB's.

http://www.andythelwell.com/cu.jpg
http://www.andythelwell.com/elcb.jpg

They are RCD's, not [voltage operated] ELCB's.
RCD's were originally called current operated ELCB's (14th Ed Regs),
but that name didn't stick.

....and this changes everything. Any appliance you plug in that trips it
is liable to be leaky, but no guarantee its that one. I had assumed
they were voltage operated elcbs. Get used to trips and having to throw
out appliances that work ok.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
wrote:
No, an elcb doesnt care how bad the earth impedance is, it will still
work. And even old ELCBs are still orders of magnitude more reliable
than rcds.

You jest? We used to use them on 'The Bill' camera setup when running from
mains, (obviously). If the camera touched anything vaguely conductive it
would trip. Even just setting it down on the ground.

--
*How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink? *