Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reverse Polarity Mains Socket -- How Dangerous?

In article . com,
Andrew Thelwell wrote:
3) The problem with the meter when the guy came to change it was that
he was as follows: He had one of those 'mains tester' screwdrivers with
the LEDs in the end that should only light up on when touched to a live
terminal. However, he got it to light up on ALL FOUR terminals attached
to our meter (+ in, - in, + out, - out, yes?). I don't think there was
an suggestion as to the 'size' of the current though. He also got it to
light up when he pressed it to the big grey block (neutral block) in
the meter box, which apparently it shouldn't do. This happenend both
with our consumer unit main isolator turned ON and OFF. It stopped,
however, when he pulled the main fuse out of the meter box.

Neon screwdrivers are notoriously unreliable. However, with an overhead
supply it's quite common to have a few volts from neutral to true earth,
and that's what his screwdriver was seeing.

--
*When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.