Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Leaking radiator valve

Hi,

I am doing a lot of work in my extension and had to remove the
radiator. I took the radiator off a couple of days ago quite easily
although had a bit of trouble undoing the nut on the control valve
side. After a bit of careful force I got the nut loose and took the
radiator off.

Since then I have noticed a very minor leak from where the valve meets
the pipe that comes up from underneath the floor. I tried tightening
the valve just above the pipe but this seemed to do nothing. If fact it
was turning but not tightening anything.

I plan on getting a plumber in to move the radiator pipes out from the
wall (am putting thermo board in the wall) and re-fitting a new
radiator. However,
I am not planning on doing this for a month or two. Does anyone have
any advice on how I can stop the leak permanently or even temporarily?

Any advice is much appreciated. Don't really want to get a plumber out
twice or drain the system now to fix the issue and again when I need
the plumber in a couple of months.

Cheers,

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I am doing a lot of work in my extension and had to remove the
radiator. I took the radiator off a couple of days ago quite easily
although had a bit of trouble undoing the nut on the control valve
side. After a bit of careful force I got the nut loose and took the
radiator off.

Since then I have noticed a very minor leak from where the valve meets
the pipe that comes up from underneath the floor. I tried tightening
the valve just above the pipe but this seemed to do nothing. If fact it
was turning but not tightening anything.

If it is coming from that compression fitting then it is either a less than
perfect seal on the olive - tightening is likely to cure it.
OR
You have split the copper tubing at the base of this fitting - very easy to
do if you don't brace with a stilson or similar when undoing fitting.

If the latter you will have to drain the system or catch the dribble and DO
NOT disturb till the plumber comes. If the former properly brace the fitting
and tighten further or you will get the latter!

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

If this can't be tightened then a temporary fix would be to whip the valve
off quickly and replace with a compression fitting end stop.
http://static.abcaz.com/productimages/89/2285401/screwfix-compression-fittings-stop-end-15mm.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I did try tightening the valve on the pipe but it turned once clockwise
quite easily and didnt seem to get any tighter or looser.

Is there any tape or putty that can be applied as a tempoary fix?

Cheers,

James