Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Evostick Serious Glue

Excellent stuff - if a tad pricey.

--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Excellent stuff - if a tad pricey.

what price effectiveness ?

btw, have you seen that sticks like sh*t from evostik it's advertised in professional
builder magazine. it's pricey, but it really does stick when everything is wet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Excellent stuff - if a tad pricey.

What's it for? (never heard of it)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
Excellent stuff - if a tad pricey.

What's it for? (never heard of it)

Just about anything to anything. Came across it in of all places Tesco,
and decided to try it. Stuck together two bits of flexible plastic (not
sure if the same type) and it's worked better than any other I've tried.

It's fairly slow drying, though. Can be adjusted for about 20 minutes and
sets in 2 hours. Full strength after 24. The thickness doesn't seem to
matter either - so it's handy for irregular surfaces.

--
*Real women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Lobster wrote:

Excellent stuff - if a tad pricey.

What's it for? (never heard of it)

Just about anything to anything. Came across it in of all places Tesco,
and decided to try it. Stuck together two bits of flexible plastic (not
sure if the same type) and it's worked better than any other I've tried.

It's fairly slow drying, though. Can be adjusted for about 20 minutes and
sets in 2 hours. Full strength after 24. The thickness doesn't seem to
matter either - so it's handy for irregular surfaces.

Maybe that would work for vinyl flooring. I need to re-stick a load of
it, but cant use the usual impact adhesive due to the excessive fumes.
Is sticks like sht fumey stinkey? I assume its not water based.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
wrote:
Maybe that would work for vinyl flooring. I need to re-stick a load of
it, but cant use the usual impact adhesive due to the excessive fumes.
Is sticks like sht fumey stinkey? I assume its not water based.

No fumes at all. But probably too expensive for large areas. It's over 4
quid for a tube.

--
*What boots up must come down *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 23:15:58 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It's fairly slow drying, though. Can be adjusted for about 20 minutes
and sets in 2 hours. Full strength after 24. The thickness doesn't seem
to matter either - so it's handy for irregular surfaces.

Evostick's version of a gripfill? Packaged and priced for the
supermarkets?

Just had the worst of the windows done here, I had hoped the old window
ledges inside would be OK for a while but they more or less disintegrated
along with the old frames. B-( Quick dash to a shed for cheap white
work top (decent ledges here 400mm, deep) and the window fitters donated
several tubes of Dow Cornings "Grip Fill".

This stuff is a yuky green/brown and sticks/fills *very* well but unlike
"no more nails" doesn't set brittle (like polyfilla etc) but remains
compliant just like traditional Evostick impact adhesive. Sticks to
brick, timber and metal very well, rather to well in the case of the
metal tools it came into contact with...

Does this "Evostick Serious Glue" stick plastic milk bottles together,
that is polyethelene? Most other adhesives won't.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:
Maybe that would work for vinyl flooring. I need to re-stick a load of
it, but cant use the usual impact adhesive due to the excessive fumes.
Is sticks like sht fumey stinkey? I assume its not water based.

No fumes at all. But probably too expensive for large areas. It's over 4
quid for a tube.

thanks. Should be ok for non-continuous gluing tho, ie lines of it
rather than all over.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

I dont think anything can stick polythene unless you flame the surface
first.

Maybe we should collect these reviews, would be quite handy as an
adhesives faq

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Does this "Evostick Serious Glue" stick plastic milk bottles together,
that is polyethelene? Most other adhesives won't.

No - the two exceptions mentioned are polythene and polypropylene.
Luckily, I rarely want to stick milk bottles together.

--
*Virtual reality is its own reward*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
wrote:
Maybe we should collect these reviews, would be quite handy as an
adhesives faq

An adhesive FAQ would be an excellent idea. I keep on seeing things like
Gorilla glue etc and have no idea if it's just say a US name for a product
already available in the UK under a different name.

--
*Sleep with a photographer and watch things develop

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:27:08 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

An adhesive FAQ would be an excellent idea. I keep on seeing things like
Gorilla glue etc and have no idea if it's just say a US name for a product
already available in the UK under a different name.

Gorilla glue is a polyurethane adhesive. It's similar to Bison glue which
is sold in the UK. IIRC it does not foam, so it's not the same as the
polyurethane woodworking adhesives sold by Screwfix.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:27:08 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

An adhesive FAQ would be an excellent idea. I keep on seeing things
like Gorilla glue etc and have no idea if it's just say a US name for a
product already available in the UK under a different name.

Hear, hear.

T'would be an excellent additional section in the uk.d-i-y FAQ. Think a
basic start on the various types of glue out there and their uses would
be a good start, then worry about trade names etc. So what do we have:

Epoxy (araldite...)
Impact (Evostick...)
Starch (wall paper paste, I think that is starch based...)
Cyanoacrylate (super glues...)
PVA (wood, building...)
Solvent (polystyrene cement, solvent weld plumbing)

Where does Copydex, Gripfill, No More Nails fit into this?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:58:55 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

|On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:27:08 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
|
| An adhesive FAQ would be an excellent idea. I keep on seeing things
| like Gorilla glue etc and have no idea if it's just say a US name for a
| product already available in the UK under a different name.
|
|Hear, hear.
|
|T'would be an excellent additional section in the uk.d-i-y FAQ. Think a
|basic start on the various types of glue out there and their uses would
|be a good start, then worry about trade names etc. So what do we have:
|
|Epoxy (araldite...)
|Impact (Evostick...)
|Starch (wall paper paste, I think that is starch based...)
|Cyanoacrylate (super glues...)
|PVA (wood, building...)
|Solvent (polystyrene cement, solvent weld plumbing)
|
|Where does Copydex, Gripfill, No More Nails fit into this?

Good idea but it would require a lot of research :-(
Kind of you to volunteer :-O

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 16:51:56 +0100, Dave Fawthrop wrote:

|So what do we have:
|
|Epoxy (araldite...)
|Impact (Evostick...)
|Starch (wall paper paste, I think that is starch based...)
|Cyanoacrylate (super glues...)
|PVA (wood, building...)
|Solvent (polystyrene cement, solvent weld plumbing)
|
|Where does Copydex, Gripfill, No More Nails fit into this?

Good idea but it would require a lot of research :-(
Kind of you to volunteer :-O

A starting point is better than nothing others can expand the headings
and their content. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 18:05:31 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

|On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 16:51:56 +0100, Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|
| |So what do we have:
| |
| |Epoxy (araldite...)
| |Impact (Evostick...)
| |Starch (wall paper paste, I think that is starch based...)
| |Cyanoacrylate (super glues...)
| |PVA (wood, building...)
| |Solvent (polystyrene cement, solvent weld plumbing)
| |
| |Where does Copydex, Gripfill, No More Nails fit into this?
|
| Good idea but it would require a lot of research :-(
| Kind of you to volunteer :-O
|
|A starting point is better than nothing others can expand the headings
|and their content. B-)

OK.
I once knew which was used araldite on an industrial scale, I will do
Epoxy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:27:08 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

An adhesive FAQ would be an excellent idea. I keep on seeing things
like Gorilla glue etc and have no idea if it's just say a US name for a
product already available in the UK under a different name.

Hear, hear.

T'would be an excellent additional section in the uk.d-i-y FAQ. Think a
basic start on the various types of glue out there and their uses would
be a good start, then worry about trade names etc. So what do we have:

Epoxy (araldite...)
Impact (Evostick...)
Starch (wall paper paste, I think that is starch based...)
Cyanoacrylate (super glues...)
PVA (wood, building...)
Solvent (polystyrene cement, solvent weld plumbing)

Where does Copydex, Gripfill, No More Nails fit into this?

Copydex is latex. I dont know bout the other 2.

Wallpaper paste was starch long ago, but has gone thru several
different technologies since then.

The wiki adhesives page isnt much use, but this one has some relevant
content:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glue

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Fawthrop wrote:
I once knew which was used araldite on an industrial scale, I will do
Epoxy.

I *think* I know what you mean. ;-)

But don't get hopes up by mentioning industrial types that can't be bought
in reasonable quantities.

--
*Who are these kids and why are they calling me Mom?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 21:38:21 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

|In article ,
| Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| I once knew which was used araldite on an industrial scale, I will do
| Epoxy.
|
|I *think* I know what you mean. ;-)

I must proof read my posts
I must proof read my posts
I must proof read my posts
I must proof read my posts
I must proof read my posts
I must proof read my posts.

|But don't get hopes up by mentioning industrial types that can't be bought
|in reasonable quantities.

They must be *mentioned* as some body somewhere will need them

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
T'would be an excellent additional section in the uk.d-i-y FAQ. Think
a basic start on the various types of glue out there and their uses
would be a good start, then worry about trade names etc. So what do
we have:

Epoxy (araldite...)
Impact (Evostick...)
Starch (wall paper paste, I think that is starch based...)
Cyanoacrylate (super glues...)
PVA (wood, building...)
Solvent (polystyrene cement, solvent weld plumbing)

Also the Aliphatic resins like Titebond. Hide glue, Cascamite/Extramite
resin glues, Aerolite/Urea-formaldehyde.

Complex task an FAQ.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:

Gorilla glue is a polyurethane adhesive. It's similar to Bison glue
which is sold in the UK. IIRC it does not foam, so it's not the same
as the polyurethane woodworking adhesives sold by Screwfix.

Are there two types of polyurethane glue then? I use Titebond Polyurethane
Glue from Axminster and it does foam. The spec says; "Polyurethane glues
cure by moisture and an effervescence is a by-product of this".

Is there one that doesn't foam?

Titebond polyurethane is a seriously good glue for all sorts of things, not
just wood.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 559964 20060816 213821 "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Dave Fawthrop wrote:
I once knew which was used araldite on an industrial scale, I will do
Epoxy.

I *think* I know what you mean. ;-)

But don't get hopes up by mentioning industrial types that can't be bought
in reasonable quantities.

I used Araldite all my working life and in my opinion nothing else comes near.

Screwfix sells small quantities : http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...46590&ts=13838
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

T'would be an excellent additional section in the uk.d-i-y FAQ. Think
a basic start on the various types of glue out there and their uses
would be a good start, then worry about trade names etc. So what do
we have:

Epoxy (araldite...)
Impact (Evostick...)
Starch (wall paper paste, I think that is starch based...)
Cyanoacrylate (super glues...)
PVA (wood, building...)
Solvent (polystyrene cement, solvent weld plumbing)

Also the Aliphatic resins like Titebond. Hide glue, Cascamite/Extramite
resin glues, Aerolite/Urea-formaldehyde.

Complex task an FAQ.

Presumably rubber resin is a solvent glue? Or is it a mix of 2 types?
Whatever it is, its pretty tough and flexible.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article . com,
wrote:
Maybe that would work for vinyl flooring. I need to re-stick a load of
it, but cant use the usual impact adhesive due to the excessive fumes.
Is sticks like sht fumey stinkey? I assume its not water based.

No fumes at all. But probably too expensive for large areas. It's over 4
quid for a tube.

Hello.
As we're writing about glues, what glue would be most suitable for sticking
memory foam to memory foam?
I have a "structured" mattress topper made of memory foam. The structuring
consists of different size square areas of foam.
To make the squares, _grooves_ have been cut into the foam.
I've recently noticed that on a few of these grooves (at the bottom), the
foam is beginning to break apart. This is only slight at the moment.
I would like to glue narrow strips of foam to the bottom of the grooves, in
the hope that the small damage present now will not _spread_.

Thanks in advance.

Sylvain.