Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Evostick Serious Glue

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:27:08 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

An adhesive FAQ would be an excellent idea. I keep on seeing things
like Gorilla glue etc and have no idea if it's just say a US name for a
product already available in the UK under a different name.

Hear, hear.

T'would be an excellent additional section in the uk.d-i-y FAQ. Think a
basic start on the various types of glue out there and their uses would
be a good start, then worry about trade names etc. So what do we have:

Epoxy (araldite...)
Impact (Evostick...)
Starch (wall paper paste, I think that is starch based...)
Cyanoacrylate (super glues...)
PVA (wood, building...)
Solvent (polystyrene cement, solvent weld plumbing)

Where does Copydex, Gripfill, No More Nails fit into this?

Copydex is latex. I dont know bout the other 2.

Wallpaper paste was starch long ago, but has gone thru several
different technologies since then.

The wiki adhesives page isnt much use, but this one has some relevant
content:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glue

NT