Default which hardwood to use for set of French Windows

I will shortly be commissioning a set of doors that open out from my
kitchen into the garden. Are there any particular pros and cons for
the varioius hardwoods that are available? Any factors I should be
aware of in selecting the wood?

Many thanks

Chris

Rick

On 29 Aug 2005 02:22:36 -0700, "
wrote:

I will shortly be commissioning a set of doors that open out from my
kitchen into the garden. Are there any particular pros and cons for
the varioius hardwoods that are available? Any factors I should be
aware of in selecting the wood?

Many thanks

Chris

I looked at the "durability" of the wood I choose. Hardwood / Softwood
is the difference between weather the leaves fall off the tree, not
how hard/soft the wood actually is.

I chose Douglas Fir, for various reasons
cost
local supply - managed woodland
I like the look of it
The people who are making my windows like working with it

Rick

Michael Mcneil

" wrote in message
oups.com

I will shortly be commissioning a set of doors that open out from my
kitchen into the garden. Are there any particular pros and cons for
the varioius hardwoods that are available? Any factors I should be
aware of in selecting the wood?

There is no point in having hardwood if you intend to paint it. What you
need is to ensure long straight grain and no knots. But you should
expect that without asking, from a reputable workshop.

You might insist on a dip in preservative or at the very least a brushed
on coating of something like Cuprinol when it is assembled and the glue
has dried. (I presume they still make poisons like that?)

If you insist on hardwood make sure it has the seal of approval from
sustained forest management authorities.

Most of the illegal logging comes from Indonesia and Brazil these days,
so just stay clear of mahogany type woods.

If you want Oak go the France or Spain for it. I bet you get better
quality or cheaper than if you buy British.

Douglas fir is a moderately durable softwood and so is larch.
Curiously larch is also deciduous -the needles drop off in winter.
Either of these would be suitable and do not need painting with poison.
Forget all the tropical hardwoods if you care about the planet.
Similarly upvc and alluminium.
Oak is, of course, far and away the best. It is durable, will not need
preservative treatments, can be left bare to age gracefully to a
silvery grey or can be coated with linseed oil for a warmer colour. Or
you can paint it but use a real linseed oil paint. It is a little more
expensive to buy and harder to work so expect to pay more for quality
but it will last for ever. And it is beautiful.
I don't agree that you have to buy oak from France or Spain. Rumour
has it they keep the best for wine barrels :-) There are large
supplies of good oak from Poland and Hungary but there is also plenty
of excellent home grown oak. I only use British oak for my windows and
doors

Phil

Keruing ( Dipterocarpus Costatus Gaertn.F.) or Teak. Can be linseed
oiled, or left as they are naturally oily. We used to use keruing for
slats on wooden boxes that were intermittently submerged as part of a
boating pontoon.

David Hearn

Rick wrote:
On 29 Aug 2005 02:22:36 -0700, "
wrote:

I will shortly be commissioning a set of doors that open out from my
kitchen into the garden. Are there any particular pros and cons for
the varioius hardwoods that are available? Any factors I should be
aware of in selecting the wood?

Many thanks

Chris

I looked at the "durability" of the wood I choose. Hardwood / Softwood
is the difference between weather the leaves fall off the tree, not
how hard/soft the wood actually is.

Yup - all to do with whether it is a deciduous tree or not as many
people are surprised to hear that Balsa wood is actually a hardwood!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balsa_wood

Andy Hall wrote:
Biff, as a matter of interest, what do you use for hinges and
fitments? Brass?

Yes, I mostly use brass.
You can get a chemical reaction between ferrous metals and the
chemicals in oak particularly in places where it can get wet. A good
quality stainless steel would be fine. For antique-looking iron hinges
and latches use real whiteheat malleable iron.

French Windows Rick UK diy 7 June 27th 05 12:47 PM
french windows capnahab UK diy 3 March 21st 05 03:32 PM
LCD film window coverings? Denis Home Ownership 0 March 7th 05 07:31 AM
[OT] Car insurance craziness The Q UK diy 173 August 2nd 03 10:58 PM
French Windows - Draught and Weather sealing by design ? Bob S. Woodworking 1 July 23rd 03 05:10 AM