Phil

From what?

Stuart Noble wrote:

The glazing bars of the typical french door last about as long as
hardwood beading i.e. no time at all.
Save the gay whale.

wrote:
Douglas fir is a moderately durable softwood and so is larch.
Curiously larch is also deciduous -the needles drop off in winter.
Either of these would be suitable and do not need painting with poison.
Forget all the tropical hardwoods if you care about the planet.
Similarly upvc and alluminium.
Oak is, of course, far and away the best. It is durable, will not need
preservative treatments, can be left bare to age gracefully to a
silvery grey or can be coated with linseed oil for a warmer colour. Or
you can paint it but use a real linseed oil paint. It is a little more
expensive to buy and harder to work so expect to pay more for quality
but it will last for ever. And it is beautiful.
I don't agree that you have to buy oak from France or Spain. Rumour
has it they keep the best for wine barrels :-) There are large
supplies of good oak from Poland and Hungary but there is also plenty
of excellent home grown oak. I only use British oak for my windows and
doors