Michael Mcneil

" wrote in message
oups.com

I will shortly be commissioning a set of doors that open out from my
kitchen into the garden. Are there any particular pros and cons for
the varioius hardwoods that are available? Any factors I should be
aware of in selecting the wood?

There is no point in having hardwood if you intend to paint it. What you
need is to ensure long straight grain and no knots. But you should
expect that without asking, from a reputable workshop.

You might insist on a dip in preservative or at the very least a brushed
on coating of something like Cuprinol when it is assembled and the glue
has dried. (I presume they still make poisons like that?)

If you insist on hardwood make sure it has the seal of approval from
sustained forest management authorities.

Most of the illegal logging comes from Indonesia and Brazil these days,
so just stay clear of mahogany type woods.

If you want Oak go the France or Spain for it. I bet you get better
quality or cheaper than if you buy British.