jim rozen

Default *Another* machine for Harold!! :)

Boy, this Lagun sure has a lot of spots to oil on the table:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=12584&item=3866732 531&rd=1

Honstly I think I'd rather have that southbend to clean up.

Jim

please reply to:
Pete Snell

Gah! Looks like the previous owner was a slow learner! shudder

--
__
Pete Snell

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
- George Bernard Shaw
Waynemak

Slow learner??
I have never seen a table like that, extra coolant traps??, Used to test how
sharp bits are?? wow
"Pete Snell" wrote in message
Gah! Looks like the previous owner was a slow learner! shudder

--
__
Pete Snell
Royal Military College
Kingston Ontario

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
- George Bernard Shaw

Mark Rand

On 12 Jan 2005 05:10:37 -0800, jim rozen wrote:

Boy, this Lagun sure has a lot of spots to oil on the table:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=12584&item=3866732 531&rd=1

Honstly I think I'd rather have that southbend to clean up.

Jim

To be fair to the mill, the starting price is far more reasonable than the
Southbend.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Daniel A. Mitchell

Mark Rand wrote:
On 12 Jan 2005 05:10:37 -0800, jim rozen wrote:

Boy, this Lagun sure has a lot of spots to oil on the table:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=12584&item=3866732 531&rd=1

Honstly I think I'd rather have that southbend to clean up.

Jim

To be fair to the mill, the starting price is far more reasonable than the
Southbend.

Mark Rand
RTFM

Hi Jim:

Look at this mill (URL above) ... how's THAT for a way to treat a
machine. And they call it 'nice' shape! Bill must be spinning in his
grave at the thought of it!

Dan Mitchell
============

Daniel A. Mitchell

Daniel A. Mitchell wrote:
Mark Rand wrote:

On 12 Jan 2005 05:10:37 -0800, jim rozen wrote:

Boy, this Lagun sure has a lot of spots to oil on the table:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=12584&item=3866732 531&rd=1

Honstly I think I'd rather have that southbend to clean up.

Jim

To be fair to the mill, the starting price is far more reasonable than the
Southbend.

Mark Rand
RTFM

Hi Jim:

Look at this mill (URL above) ... how's THAT for a way to treat a
machine. And they call it 'nice' shape! Bill must be spinning in his
grave at the thought of it!

Dan Mitchell
============

Sorry guys, I hit the wrong address on my reply, and posted to the group
instead of to my friend.

Dan Mitchell
============

Harold & Susan Vordos

"Pete Snell" wrote in message
Gah! Looks like the previous owner was a slow learner! shudder

YEOW!!!

Get serious, Pete! One must learn something, * anything*, before it can be
verified that there has been any learning at all. g

AAaaaaauuuuuurrrrghhhhh! My Bridgeport, purchased new in '77, has
yet to receive it's first tool mark.

How stupid must this individual be? The vast majority of anvils have
received much kinder treatment, and that boggles the mind. Pass the
South Bend--------it's looking better and better!

Harold

Jim Stewart

Daniel A. Mitchell wrote:
Mark Rand wrote:

On 12 Jan 2005 05:10:37 -0800, jim rozen wrote:

Boy, this Lagun sure has a lot of spots to oil on the table:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=12584&item=3866732 531&rd=1

Honstly I think I'd rather have that southbend to clean up.

Jim

To be fair to the mill, the starting price is far more reasonable than
the
Southbend.

Mark Rand
RTFM

Hi Jim:

Look at this mill (URL above) ... how's THAT for a way to treat a
machine. And they call it 'nice' shape! Bill must be spinning in his
grave at the thought of it!

A little Bondo, a little gray paint, you've
got a Babin special. Opps, shouldn't give
him ideas.

Sunworshipper

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:46:07 -0800, Koz
wrote:

Must be that the pile worms which used to eat away at the old wooden
ships have mutated to eating metal due to high mercury content of the sea.

Koz

That's the type of way I was thinking when I first saw it.

Reminds me of that customer with the rusty antique aircraft crank. I
told him a good three times it was deader than dead and he still made
me try to fix it. It looked like Swiss cheese or pox after the first
clean up grind. Really it was kinda fun , not like I was gonna sweat
getting it to pass.

jim rozen wrote:

Boy, this Lagun sure has a lot of spots to oil on the table:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=12584&item=3866732 531&rd=1

Honstly I think I'd rather have that southbend to clean up.

Jim

Wayne Cook

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:54:46 -0800, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Pete Snell" wrote in message
Gah! Looks like the previous owner was a slow learner! shudder

YEOW!!!

Get serious, Pete! One must learn something, * anything*, before it can be
verified that there has been any learning at all. g

AAaaaaauuuuuurrrrghhhhh! My Bridgeport, purchased new in '77, has
yet to receive it's first tool mark.

How stupid must this individual be? The vast majority of anvils have
received much kinder treatment, and that boggles the mind. Pass the
South Bend--------it's looking better and better!

I've seen worse though not on a milling machine. I wish I'd had a
camera when I was at that auction. It was a really old flat belt drill
press kind of like mine but bigger. The table was about 24" dia and
there wasn't 0.001" of the original top surface of the table left. The
whole thing had been drilled if not all the way through (though it was
many times) it was drilled at least half way through. Anything ranging
from 2" holes to small ones. The icing on the cake was the old Cinci
milling machine vice that was bolted off to one side. It had holes all
over it as well but the one I couldn't believe was the about 1 3/4"
hole straight through the middle of the base going all the way through
it and into the table (actually I can't remember for sure but it may
of went all the way through the table).

That drill press had other things wrong as well. Apparently the
taper had gotten messed up so the previous owner had welded a morse
taper extension in place on the spindle.

When it sold I almost passed out from disbelief. It brought $1800. I
couldn't believe it but then everything at that auction was well worn
and bringing more than new price.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
jim rozen

In article , Harold & Susan Vordos says...

AAaaaaauuuuuurrrrghhhhh! My Bridgeport, purchased new in '77, has
yet to receive it's first tool mark.

I'm actually very sensitive to this, because of the way folks here
at our shop treat their machines. I was talking to one of the
best toolmakers there (now retired) while we were doing so, he
walked over to a bridgeport that another guy was working with.

He took the wrench off the table, went humph and said,
"this used to be a nice place to work." The implication being
that *any* steel item placed on a machine table or way was
a transgression, no matter how marked up the table was in the
first place.

Kind of like always washing your hands before eating or wiping
your feet off before coming inside.

Jim

please reply to:

Ken Sterling

Daniel A. Mitchell wrote:
Mark Rand wrote:

[...]

But, but, but, aren't *we* your friends?

Daniel A. Mitchell

wrote:

"Pete Snell" wrote in message

[...]

I've seen a couple drill presses where the tables had so many holes
drilled clear through at the arc of the drill axis that the whole outer
edge of the table fell off! Probably they got so weak that some jolt
(dolt?) broke the remaining cast iron.

Dan Mitchell
============

Roger Shoaf

"Koz" wrote in message
Must be that the pile worms which used to eat away at the old wooden
ships have mutated to eating metal due to high mercury content of the sea.

Nope, The city they were in had a heavy machinery tax on machines over 4,000
pounds on account of the heavy machines push down the cement inside the
building and screws up the side walk on the outside of the building.

The holes were drilled just prior to the assessor showing up with his scale.

--
Roger Shoaf

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:41:49 -0500, "Daniel A. Mitchell"
calmly ranted:

Mark Rand wrote:
On 12 Jan 2005 05:10:37 -0800, jim rozen wrote:

Boy, this Lagun sure has a lot of spots to oil on the table:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=12584&item=3866732 531&rd=1

Hi Jim:

Look at this mill (URL above) ... how's THAT for a way to treat a
machine. And they call it 'nice' shape! Bill must be spinning in his
grave at the thought of it!

Man, talk about either a bad machinist or a bad programmer! (or 20
years in a school, training twerps who don't want to learn) Ouch!
And I doubt that 0.1" play can be adjusted out. It's probably wear.
I'd be afraid of that machine. Too much to rework.

I drank WHAT? + http://www.diversify.com
--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Gunner

wrote:

Boy, this Lagun sure has a lot of spots to oil on the table:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=12584&item=3866732 531&rd=1

Honstly I think I'd rather have that southbend to clean up.

Jim

It pretty much depends on if you want a mill or a centerpiece for your
shop. Frankly as long as the table is flat (stone off the burrs) and
it is tight enough...I dont give a rats ass how many holes are drilled
in the top. They do collect swarf, shrug..and big ones may weaken the
hold down clamping grooves..but.

The Laguns are decent mills. Damned decent in fact.

Gunner
"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child -
Liberalism is a philosphy of sniveling brats." -- P.J. O'Rourke