Daniel A. Mitchell

Wayne Cook wrote:
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:54:46 -0800, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Pete Snell" wrote in message

Gah! Looks like the previous owner was a slow learner! shudder

YEOW!!!

Get serious, Pete! One must learn something, * anything*, before it can be
verified that there has been any learning at all. g

AAaaaaauuuuuurrrrghhhhh! My Bridgeport, purchased new in '77, has
yet to receive it's first tool mark.

How stupid must this individual be? The vast majority of anvils have
received much kinder treatment, and that boggles the mind. Pass the
South Bend--------it's looking better and better!

I've seen worse though not on a milling machine. I wish I'd had a
camera when I was at that auction. It was a really old flat belt drill
press kind of like mine but bigger. The table was about 24" dia and
there wasn't 0.001" of the original top surface of the table left. The
whole thing had been drilled if not all the way through (though it was
many times) it was drilled at least half way through. Anything ranging
from 2" holes to small ones. The icing on the cake was the old Cinci
milling machine vice that was bolted off to one side. It had holes all
over it as well but the one I couldn't believe was the about 1 3/4"
hole straight through the middle of the base going all the way through
it and into the table (actually I can't remember for sure but it may
of went all the way through the table).

That drill press had other things wrong as well. Apparently the
taper had gotten messed up so the previous owner had welded a morse
taper extension in place on the spindle.

When it sold I almost passed out from disbelief. It brought $1800. I
couldn't believe it but then everything at that auction was well worn
and bringing more than new price.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook

I've seen a couple drill presses where the tables had so many holes
drilled clear through at the arc of the drill axis that the whole outer
edge of the table fell off! Probably they got so weak that some jolt
(dolt?) broke the remaining cast iron.

Dan Mitchell