Antenna tower hinge

Old December 20th 10, 10:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Antenna tower hinge

On 12/20/2010 04:13 PM, stryped wrote:
I have an antenna tower in concrete behind my garage that has my local
tv station antenna. It is a big yagi type antenna. It has been there,
both the antenna and tower, for 12 years. I am getting a little older
and dont have any help and to be honest, dont like climbing up it. I
think the tower is 25 feet ot so from it's top to the ground.

Would it be possible to make a hinge for this thing so I could bring
it down to replace the anteena? Can I do it now that it is already
errected, maybe loosening at one of the sections and pulling it off,
installing the made hinge then putting back on? Would I be able to
lift the tower and antenna by myself once it is pulled off to install
the hinge. I appreciate any help.

There are a lot of different tower types, 3 sided, 4 sided, steel,
aluminum, tapered, straight... And within those, there are different
sizes, depending on how much antenna and how tall. If you can figure out
who made your tower, it will help you find stuff that would work with it.

There is a lot of tower stuff available in the ham radio world. If you
have the right size tower for this particular unit would be a piece that
uses the tower tubes a guides and rides up and down the tower with a
rope: http://www.texastowers.com/glenmartin_hazer.htm. Texas Towers has
quite a bit of tower related hardware. Another vendor that has a lot of
tower hardware is: WWW.DXENGINEERING.com. Another one is:
WWW.mfjenterprises.com. If nothing else, you might get some ideas on
what is being done.

Good Luck,
BobH

Old December 20th 10, 05:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
I have an antenna tower in concrete behind my garage that has my local
tv station antenna. It is a big yagi type antenna. It has been there,
both the antenna and tower, for 12 years. I am getting a little older
and dont have any help and to be honest, dont like climbing up it. I
think the tower is 25 feet ot so from it's top to the ground.

Would it be possible to make a hinge for this thing so I could bring
it down to replace the anteena? Can I do it now that it is already
errected, maybe loosening at one of the sections and pulling it off,
installing the made hinge then putting back on? Would I be able to
lift the tower and antenna by myself once it is pulled off to install
the hinge. I appreciate any help.

I have considered similar for raising owl boxes, and raptor perches. My
thoughts come down to three pad eyes, the center one being on the base of
the tower, the other two, set into a concrete base, all three match drilled
through, and secured by a heavy bolt. A pad eye is a D shaped piece of
metal, but can be long, with the hole drilled in the D. You've seen them as
lifting points on machinery. The one on the base of the tower would fit
between the two set in the concrete.

Lifting and lowering would have to be done with a winch or a vehicle, and a
three point guy system would make it steady.

Lowering the antenna in the first place for installation of the hinge part
would be the biggest process.

Raising would consist of leaving the two guy wires in place, and pulling on
the third, but using some sort of helping member to make the pulling cable
pull upward slightly rather than just horizontally. The two permanent guy
wires would hold the antenna safely in place while lowering and raising with
the third detachable one, once you have them to the correct length.

It would be some work at first, but then very easy to raise or lower it.
Align the hinge to bisect the line of the two stationary guy wires, and the
third perpendicular to that on the other side, all the same length. They
could be all the way to the top, or just 2/3 of the height, and be steady.

Take some pictures and share. Perhaps someone who has BTDT can give you
better advice, or another way if you post some pics.

Steve

Old December 20th 10, 06:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

There are a lot of ways to do it and a lot of types of towers that
dictate the correct way to do it for that tower. Honestly, 25' is an
extremely short tower so climbing it really shouldn't be a concern. Just
buy the correct safety harness and "Y" 100% tie-off lanyard (~$100 or so
total) and get on with it with far less hassle than trying to
re-engineer the tower.
Old December 20th 10, 06:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
Steve B wrote:

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

25'? try a tall ladder and a teenager.

Old December 20th 10, 06:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

chaniarts wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Steve B wrote:

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

the mast of my catamaran is shorter than that. it has a base hinge. a couple
of guy wires attached to a pair of small boat trailer winches, a pair of
mast base hinges, and releasable pins on the other legs would do this.

Old December 20th 10, 06:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 20, 11:13*am, stryped wrote:
I have an antenna tower in concrete behind my garage that has my local
tv station antenna. It is a big yagi type antenna. ...

Would it be possible to make a hinge for this thing so I could bring
it down to replace the anteena? Can I do it now that it is already
errected, maybe loosening at one of the sections and pulling it off,
installing the made hinge then putting back on? Would I be able to
lift the tower and antenna by myself once it is pulled off to install
the hinge. I appreciate any help.

It shouldn't be too hard but when you do it you need experienced hands-
on advice in person, not from the Internet. My 50 foot antenna mast
hinges down.

If the tower unbolts at the base you can hinge it there. Higher up the
hinge and lowest tower section will be pushed very hard sideways when
you lower the tower with a rope.

jsw
Old December 20th 10, 06:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 20, 11:11*am, "chaniarts" wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Steve B wrote:

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

25'? try a tall ladder and a teenager.- Hide quoted text -

To be honest, I dont like hights.

I wondered if I could make a steel base with three pieces of tube
bigger than the tube on the tower that would fit into the new tubes if
that makes sense. My tower is the three sided stuff and I think it is
steel but it may be aluminum. It is gray colored.

Also, it is hard to climb up it with a 10 foot long antenna in your
hand.
Old December 20th 10, 07:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 20, 11:18*am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

My tower is up againts the back of the garage with nothign else nearby
really. I do have an attic area above the garage. What i made a braket
out of angle iron with a pulley, atteched the braket to a couple of
studs through the attic wall. I have brick around my garage footer/
foundation. COuld I mound a hand crack winch directly into the brick/
block with concrete screws. Then run the winch rope/cable up through
the pulley and attaching the middle or top part of the mast. With a
hinge at the bottom of the tower, I could use the winch to raise lower
the mast? Just thinking out loud.
Old December 20th 10, 11:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
Steve B wrote:

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

Climb the tower with a piece of rope attached at one end to your
climbing belt and the other end to theantenna (somewhere forward of
the CG. When you get to the top, secure yourself and pull the antenna
up to you. Do all the connecting work at the top. If you are
replacing an antenna, just drop the old one off, unless you are
planning on keeping it. In that case, use a piece of rope twice as
long as you need with the center attached to the belt. When on top,
attach the lose end to the old antenna and loosen it and lower it to
the ground then pull the new one up and install it. If the antenna is
very heavy (most TV antennae aren't) you can use a gin pole with a
pulley at the top to pull up the antenna and lower the old one. Sounds
like you may have Rohn 25 tower. I've been up and down those for
years. Just think SAFETY FIRST.

Jim

left hinge door, right hinge storm Cindy Hamilton[_2_] Home Repair 37 June 18th 10 09:10 PM
One more antenna question: Antenna pitch? mm Electronics Repair 25 December 5th 09 12:23 PM
Adding another antenna to my existing antenna set-up Mike Home Repair 25 January 23rd 09 05:35 PM
Tower keith_765 UK diy 6 December 9th 06 09:05 PM
Grounding TV antenna tower [email protected] Home Repair 12 April 14th 06 04:50 AM