Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Antenna tower hinge

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
On Dec 21, 1:44 am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
Do you know any good tricks for erecting a gin pole or shear legs
without a crane?
jsw

I will try to explain it.

The gin poles we used in the oilfield were miniature jib cranes. They were
triangular in form, tapering from the base to the tip, where the single
pulley sheave was. ...
Steve

Thanks for taking the time and effort to type all that, which I saved.
I've helped other hams work on radio antennas, and learned the Army's
version of field rigging.

jsw

If you can get some pictures, that would explain it all. If you have a lot
of buds, it may be cost feasible to make one, and have it on hand for all.
For the loads you are lifting, you wouldn't have to make an incredibly big
or strong one, and you could use a winch with a good capacity of cable, or
just tag onto the end of the cable with what you occasionally use for
hoisting. The main thing is getting some good harnesses and using them
right. I just saw a thing this morning where Spiderman went splat on
Broadway, his cable snapping, So, even when you know how to do it right,
you can still get a boo boo.

Steve