Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stryped[_3_] stryped[_3_] is offline

Default Antenna tower hinge

On Dec 20, 11:18*am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Dec 20, 11:13*am, stryped wrote:

I have an antenna tower in concrete behind my garage that has my local
tv station antenna. It is a big yagi type antenna. ...

Would it be possible to make a hinge for this thing so I could bring
it down to replace the anteena? Can I do it now that it is already
errected, maybe loosening at one of the sections and pulling it off,
installing the made hinge then putting back on? Would I be able to
lift the tower and antenna by myself once it is pulled off to install
the hinge. I appreciate any help.

It shouldn't be too hard but when you do it you need experienced hands-
on advice in person, not from the Internet. My 50 foot antenna mast
hinges down.

If the tower unbolts at the base you can hinge it there. Higher up the
hinge and lowest tower section will be pushed very hard sideways when
you lower the tower with a rope.

jsw

My tower is up againts the back of the garage with nothign else nearby
really. I do have an attic area above the garage. What i made a braket
out of angle iron with a pulley, atteched the braket to a couple of
studs through the attic wall. I have brick around my garage footer/
foundation. COuld I mound a hand crack winch directly into the brick/
block with concrete screws. Then run the winch rope/cable up through
the pulley and attaching the middle or top part of the mast. With a
hinge at the bottom of the tower, I could use the winch to raise lower
the mast? Just thinking out loud.