Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Antenna tower hinge

On Dec 20, 5:46*pm, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
This is a piece of cake. You have probably never heard of a mast tabernacle, but it has been in use for hundreds of years and
perhaps even longer. *Please refer to

http://pweb.netcom.com/~longyard/Mastraise.html
Steve

Since you showed photos of good examples, my TV antenna is a variation
of a sliding Gunter rig:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunter

The fixed mast is attached to the house and extends about 4' above the
roof, with a guyed extension connected by a shiplap joint and bands.
The "gaff" upper section of antenna mast tubing has the rotator at the
bottom, attached to the track slide by a hinge, and the antenna at the
top. When I remove the upper extension and fully lower the gaff part I
can reach the antenna from the roof.

The halyard that raises it runs through upper and lower double sheave
pulleys, vertically in line for a lower profile, so the pull is small
enough to handle easily with cold bare hands in an icy night gale, ie
when I most need to lower the antenna.

The upper guy lines run over pulleys on a ring suspended (to permit
rotation) just below the antenna and down the mast to rope cleats.
This way I can tension them to straighten the antenna tubing, which
would be difficult from the outer ends of the guy lines.

For serious maintenance I can lower the slide to the ground and pivot
the antenna tube (gaff) down.

It's hard to describe without a drawing, and not clear from the photos
I've taken. I hope this is understandable.

jsw