Kevin Beitz

Default Grizzly electric 5 hp motor question..... Problem.... Weard.....

I got one of Grizzly larger lathes... It has only two wires going into
the motor and its single phase 220 with electric reverse... First I
don't know how they do that... For a few years every so often when
starting my machine the motor would make a loud nose like a 3-phase
motor would do if it tried to run with one fuse blown (what I call
single phasing ) ... About a month ago the motor quit... It has two
capacitor's tied in parallel that needed replaced .
The machine worked good for a few weeks... Last night it smoked the
new capacitor's . So I fished around in my box of capacitor's untill I
found one that would let me finish the job... Could anyone tell me
whats happening and or where would I find a 220 5 hp reversable motor
that only need two wires ???

Thanks.
Kevin
Basil

Kevin
Where is the reversing switch located? It would have to be
on the motor it self as you can't reverse an ac motor with
just two wires.
Basil

"Kevin Beitz" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Randal O'Brian

Getting a 5 hp, 3-phase motor (much cheaper than a single-phase, and
readily available on the used market) and a 5 hp VFD(single-phase, 230V
input) will solve all your electrical problems and will add new
dimensions(variable speed, soft start, dynamic braking, reverse on the fly,
vibration free running) to your lathe operating pleasure. Plus, no more
capacitorsG. You might have to do a little machine work to get the new
motor to fit the Grizzly, but that just adds to the fun. The new drive
setup will cost a few hundred $ but you will love it.

Randy

[...]

Kevin Beitz

Believe it or not I'm the electrician at the textile plant where I
work....
This is why I posted this question... I don't know how they can
reverse the motor with only two wires... The reversing switch is on
the moving cross-slide and consist of two micro-switches com. no. nc.
both working the com. no.
It sure has me scratching my head... The microswitche wires run to two
motor contactors... The motor is AC. I checked that. If it was DC. I
could see how it was done. I guess I'll just have to sit down and draw
out the wireing on paper and see what they are doing....

Thanks.
Kevin