Kevin Beitz

Default Grizzly electric 5 hp motor question..... Problem.... Weard.....

I got one of Grizzly larger lathes... It has only two wires going into
the motor and its single phase 220 with electric reverse... First I
don't know how they do that... For a few years every so often when
starting my machine the motor would make a loud nose like a 3-phase
motor would do if it tried to run with one fuse blown (what I call
single phasing ) ... About a month ago the motor quit... It has two
capacitor's tied in parallel that needed replaced .
The machine worked good for a few weeks... Last night it smoked the
new capacitor's . So I fished around in my box of capacitor's untill I
found one that would let me finish the job... Could anyone tell me
whats happening and or where would I find a 220 5 hp reversable motor
that only need two wires ???

Thanks.
Kevin