Randal O'Brian

Default Grizzly electric 5 hp motor question..... Problem.... Weard.....

Getting a 5 hp, 3-phase motor (much cheaper than a single-phase, and
readily available on the used market) and a 5 hp VFD(single-phase, 230V
input) will solve all your electrical problems and will add new
dimensions(variable speed, soft start, dynamic braking, reverse on the fly,
vibration free running) to your lathe operating pleasure. Plus, no more
capacitorsG. You might have to do a little machine work to get the new
motor to fit the Grizzly, but that just adds to the fun. The new drive
setup will cost a few hundred $ but you will love it.

Randy

"Kevin Beitz" wrote in message
om...
I got one of Grizzly larger lathes... It has only two wires going into
the motor and its single phase 220 with electric reverse... First I
don't know how they do that... For a few years every so often when
starting my machine the motor would make a loud nose like a 3-phase
motor would do if it tried to run with one fuse blown (what I call
single phasing ) ... About a month ago the motor quit... It has two
capacitor's tied in parallel that needed replaced .
The machine worked good for a few weeks... Last night it smoked the
new capacitor's . So I fished around in my box of capacitor's untill I
found one that would let me finish the job... Could anyone tell me
whats happening and or where would I find a 220 5 hp reversable motor
that only need two wires ???

Thanks.
Kevin