Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default RV Fridge?

Anyone got a source for a good used 8 cf 110 vt/propane reefer?

The 30 year old one in my old Aljo RV let out all the ammonia last
week. Phewww!

Its a built in of course..shrug. I have a small dorm type frig..about
2 cubic foot..which is bearly big enough for a half gallon of milk,
some hot dogs and the mayonaise. This will get me by for a while

Id trade Stuff for one. Online..repair shops want $450 to repair the
bitch..which is way more than I can afford

I can live with 110vt and no propane.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michelle

Gunner wrote:
Anyone got a source for a good used 8 cf 110 vt/propane reefer?

The 30 year old one in my old Aljo RV let out all the ammonia last
week. Phewww!

Its a built in of course..shrug. I have a small dorm type frig..about
2 cubic foot..which is bearly big enough for a half gallon of milk,
some hot dogs and the mayonaise. This will get me by for a while

Id trade Stuff for one. Online..repair shops want $450 to repair the
bitch..which is way more than I can afford

I can live with 110vt and no propane.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

campingworld.com?
you might also want to try alt.rv or rec.outdooors.rv-travel
Michelle (2006 Airstream)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Koz

Gunner wrote:

Anyone got a source for a good used 8 cf 110 vt/propane reefer?

The 30 year old one in my old Aljo RV let out all the ammonia last
week. Phewww!

Its a built in of course..shrug. I have a small dorm type frig..about
2 cubic foot..which is bearly big enough for a half gallon of milk,
some hot dogs and the mayonaise. This will get me by for a while

Id trade Stuff for one. Online..repair shops want $450 to repair the
bitch..which is way more than I can afford

I can live with 110vt and no propane.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

maybe try http://www.olywa.net/singletonsrv/

The scrap old RVs and have a lot of odds and ends. Prices vary a lot
but you may be able to find what you need.

Koz

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Gunner wrote:

Anyone got a source for a good used 8 cf 110 vt/propane reefer?

The 30 year old one in my old Aljo RV let out all the ammonia last
week. Phewww!

Its a built in of course..shrug. I have a small dorm type frig..about
2 cubic foot..which is bearly big enough for a half gallon of milk,
some hot dogs and the mayonaise. This will get me by for a while

Id trade Stuff for one. Online..repair shops want $450 to repair the
bitch..which is way more than I can afford

I can live with 110vt and no propane.

The problem is they're not 'home' repairable in any reasonable sense. The
Servel stack in them can be repaired, if it's not too corroded... just
steel. But recharging them is a special skill, requiring concentrated
ammonia solution or water and anhydrous NH4, and dry hydrogen... applied at
excruciatingly accurate amounts and pressures.

Still, $450 for a 'new' Servel Cycle reefer isn't a bad deal; priced new
ones lately?

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RAM³

"Gunner" wrote in message
Anyone got a source for a good used 8 cf 110 vt/propane reefer?

The 30 year old one in my old Aljo RV let out all the ammonia last
week. Phewww!

Its a built in of course..shrug. I have a small dorm type frig..about
2 cubic foot..which is bearly big enough for a half gallon of milk,
some hot dogs and the mayonaise. This will get me by for a while

Id trade Stuff for one. Online..repair shops want $450 to repair the
bitch..which is way more than I can afford

I can live with 110vt and no propane.

Try
http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&n...s=&safe=images
for a bunch of sites.

Here's a list of a few places that might interest you:
http://usaer.com/parts.htm

FWIW, for $450 you might be able to find a replacement!

If you know anyone at an Ice Plant [where they make blocks of ice] you might
want to check with the person who maintains their ammonia system...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"RAM³" wrote in message
.. .
If you know anyone at an Ice Plant [where they make blocks of ice] you
might want to check with the person who maintains their ammonia system...

Keep in mind, it's not just "an ammonia system". The Servel cycle is a
delicately balanced system of partial pressures in a hydrogen atmosphere.
The average refrigeration technician - even trained in compressor-based
ammonia systems - wouldn't have a clue about how to recharge one.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wmbjk

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 19:55:57 GMT, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

Keep in mind, it's not just "an ammonia system". The Servel cycle is a
delicately balanced system of partial pressures in a hydrogen atmosphere.
The average refrigeration technician - even trained in compressor-based
ammonia systems - wouldn't have a clue about how to recharge one.

LLoyd

I have a neighbor who makes his living fixing them (lots of
off-gridders in the area). Even he tells people to switch to electric
for full-time refrigeration unless they don't have a choice.

Wayne
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:50:44 GMT, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

[...]

Nope. But I can go to Sears or Ebay and get an Dorm sized reefer for
less than $100 delivered.

Which is still a lot of money for me.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 19:55:57 GMT, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

"RAM³" wrote in message
. ..
If you know anyone at an Ice Plant [where they make blocks of ice] you
might want to check with the person who maintains their ammonia system...

Keep in mind, it's not just "an ammonia system". The Servel cycle is a
delicately balanced system of partial pressures in a hydrogen atmosphere.
The average refrigeration technician - even trained in compressor-based
ammonia systems - wouldn't have a clue about how to recharge one.

LLoyd

Quite true. So repairing it is not in the cards. Replaceing it is.

Since the RV hasnt been moved in 6 yrs..and only runs on
110vt..replacing it with a single power source reefer makes sense

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wmbjk

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:37:02 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

Nope. But I can go to Sears or Ebay and get an Dorm sized reefer for
less than $100 delivered.

Which is still a lot of money for me.

Even though those $100 jobbies are horribly inefficient, they're still
way cheaper than burning up another propane model worth five times as
much and costing perhaps triple to operate.

Sure, but kicking yourself now won't help.

"When you're chewing on life's gristle, Don't grumble, give a whistle"

Monty Python
http://www.thebards.net/music/lyrics...ide_Life.shtml

Wayne

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

I would look around for a small electric....when the colleges get out
you will find them on the curb. Slap another coat of insulation around
it and it will use very little power. Another route is to pick up a
small freezer and use it as a refrigerator...again with added
insulation. Some of these use so little power that you can run them off
an inverter if needed.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 19:25:44 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:38:54 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
quickly quoth:

Since the RV hasnt been moved in 6 yrs..and only runs on
110vt..replacing it with a single power source reefer makes sense

Since the efficiency of the things has taken a steep incline
in the past few years (every few years, really) don't settle
for a cheap old one. It'll cost you far more, especially in Gray
Davis's California. I sure don't miss THAT aspect, either.

I'm enjoying 6.5-cent/kw electricity here, BTW. gd&r

In the rv park where I stay..the rent includes base rate for
electricity, water, sewer, garbage collection and what not. In the
entire time Ive been there..Ive never managed to even use enough
electricity to get up to the minimum charge. So I pay for what I never
manage to use. And pay the same garbage collection fees as a family of
8 Mexicans, though I generate one small bag (grocery bag) of trash
every two weeks

Shrug

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Puddle of water under fridge rk UK diy 3 February 21st 06 05:33 PM
Fridge has ice up the back, but doesn't seem to be cold ! [email protected] Home Repair 13 November 27th 05 12:38 AM
Fridge running warm, help troubleshooting? [email protected] Home Repair 7 June 30th 05 04:25 PM
Integrated fridge John UK diy 3 April 29th 04 12:08 PM
Fridge freezer annoyance Craig Graham UK diy 2 March 23rd 04 10:12 PM