Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default heavy old lathe wanted in Ontario

I am looking for a fairly inexpensive lathe to use as a test bed for
electric motors. I need a machine that has a quick change spindle
speed gearbox. I would prefer a machine with a rolling element spindle
as opposed to plain bearings but might compromise for the right price.
A 14" to 16" swing would be about right, the shorter the bed the
better. If the price was right I would consider a machine with very
worn ways but this will obviously make the lathe much harder for me to
resell. I would prefer not to have to spend more than $2000 but might
spend more for the right machine. What I would really like is worn out
old machine for under $500. If anyone knows of such a machine in
southern Ontario (Kitchener) please let me know.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Purchase the Tri Ad at Canadian Tire and look through it. Usually has
some clapped out machinery available.

Wolfgang

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I know that lathe its gone, I took the chuck off of it.

stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Actually my milling machine is from that yard. The lathe I was
thinking about was in the Madison St scrap yard. They don't let me
walk around at the Triple M yard anymore, apparantly someone got hurt
and sued. Since the price of scrap has gone up so much the yards don't
keep so much old machinery on hand anymore. I am a mechanical engineer
and make most of my living by designing machines for auto part
factories but part of my business involves building small things in my
shop. My hobby is going to the scrap yards on Saturday morning looking
for interesting stuff to salvage.

stan