Default Lathe die head Wanted!!

Hi,

I have to make some loooong threaded rod and need a die-head. Anyone
have one for sale or suggest where I might find one? I got sticker
shock at MSC. g

--

Kind regards,
Jenny and her tribe of survivors.

DoN. Nichols

In article D8kVa.43601$zy.7079@fed1read06,
larsen-tools wrote:
wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I have to make some loooong threaded rod and need a die-head. Anyone
have one for sale or suggest where I might find one? I got sticker
shock at MSC. g

Why not buy long threaded rod?
It comes in 10 foot lengths.

Agreed! I've got some, but I have uses for them, and got them
by haunting eBay for a while. And as I use them (on a bed turret),
there is a limitation of about four inches before the end of the
workpiece would hit the vertical rod which runs through the center of the
turret for clamping it during the cuts.

If you mount it in a quick-change boring bar holder, you could
probably do it, but there are other problems:

1) How far will the carriage travel before it has to stop? It
will open the chasers and stop cutting at that point. (How does
this compare to the needed length of the threaded workpiece?)

Any attempt to unclamp the workpiece and re-start the cut after
repositioning will probably generate problems, though you
*might* be able to close the chasers onto an already cut area.

2) How will you feed the carriage?

If by threading feed, there is a chance for a slight error
between the leadscrew feed and the thread pitch being cut by the
die chasers, which can either pull the die head ahead enough to
trip the release.

Or -- there is the possibility that the feed will be faster than
the thread, in which case you will have excess force which will
probably damage the threads being cut.

If you are feeding the carriage by hand, there is a better
chance of things working, as you can keep up with the feed by
feel.

3) How are you supporting the workpiece which has already passed
through the die head? If it is truly long, you will need a
steady rest beyond the die head to keep it from whipping (unless
you are running *very* slow.) And the fingers of the steady
rest will probably damage the already cut threads.

Long threaded rod is usually made in production by *rolling* the
threads, not cutting it, and I'm not sure what the lathe is like to
allow such long rods.

As long as the needed thread is a standard one, and the rod
doesn't need any other features (bearing points and such), commercial
rod is probably the better choice. Even Home Depot has 24" and 36"
all-thread available. If you need it longer than that, you'll have to
find an industrial supplier somewhere, I think. But if you need it
longer than that, it would also be a serious pain to do on a lathe, with
or without a Geometric die head.

Perhaps some more details -- length, diameter, and thread form
(e.g. standard V threads or Acme or something else), would give people
more of a starting point for advice. Also, some information as to how
big a lathe you're working with, and what other tools. You *can* do the
job within reasonable length limits with a single-point cutter, a live
center in the tailstock to support the free end, and a follower rest to
support the workpiece very close to where the cutting is being done.

Geometric die heads *can* be found from time to time on eBay --
but they may not do just what you need, so it would be good to be sure
that one would serve your needs before purchasing one -- even if you
luck into one in good condition for $300.00 or so. (Price is also a
function of the diameter of the workpiece. Mine are 5/16", 1/2" (rare),
9/16", and 3/4", and after you get that, you still probably have to
purchase a set of chasers for the thread you intend to make. The odds
are against your eBay find having just the right chasers in good
condition. And a set of chasers will go for something between perhaps
$70.00 (for ones for the 5/16" die head) up through $140.00 (for the
3/4" die head). These prices can go up or down depending on whether you
hit Grand Tool during a clearance sale, or whether you have to order a
special that your vendor does not normally carry.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Richard W.

Will that work for you? I almost bought it for myself. Oh I just remembered
that I have a large Landis head out in the shop that I have never used. If
you are interested let me know and I will send you some pictures.

Richard W.

wrote in message
Hi,

I have to make some loooong threaded rod and need a die-head. Anyone
have one for sale or suggest where I might find one? I got sticker
shock at MSC. g

--

Kind regards,
Jenny and her tribe of survivors.

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Richard W. wrote:

Will that work for you? I almost bought it for myself. Oh I just remembered
that I have a large Landis head out in the shop that I have never used. If
you are interested let me know and I will send you some pictures.

1" die head? 1-3/4" shank? Way too big for *my* machine. (But
then, I wasn't the one looking for it.) The important thing is whether
chasers are available for that to cut the intended thread. (Not that
the thread is known to anyone except the original poster, yet. :-) But
the bigger the die head, the more the (new) chasers cost.

Other than that -- the current price is attractive.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Richard W.

wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 20:00:35 -0700, "Richard W."
wrote:

Will that work for you? I almost bought it for myself. Oh I just

remembered
that I have a large Landis head out in the shop that I have never used.

If
you are interested let me know and I will send you some pictures.

Thanks Richard and Jim, I had looked at ebay and emailed a few vendors
about getting the chasers I need. Deafening silence so my guess is
they don't know or wont say. MSC don't have chasers I need either.

As to those who suggested buying threaded rod, I didn't come down in
the last rain storm. I had checked everywhere I could think of and
drawn a blank. You guys need to get out more.

Not sure why it matters, but it's an acme thread that is larger in
diameter than a standard diameter/pitch and must be in bronze. I am
not sure why some loonies here need to know all of that, as if it
makes a ****-load of difference to having a die head to sell or not.

Some people actually do their homework instead of just whining for
help here guys. It is quaint to see that little changes in this neck
of the Internet-woods. sigh

Thanks again Jim and Rich for some useful suggestions.

--

Kind regards,
Jenny and her tribe of survivors.

I went out and looked and the die head I have is a 2 Landmatic. Cuts 3/8" to
1 1/4" threads. It also has a 2" shank that appears to be bolted on.

Richard W.

Mike Henry

DoN and I have different models of Clausing lathes and we both have bed
turrets. Mine (on a 5914) must be different than his, though, as there is
1" of daylight all the way through the bore on one station to to the bore on
it's opposite side. IOW, it would be possible to thread a pretty long piece
with a die head, providing the OD was small enough to fit therough the die
head shank bore.

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article ,

says...

Not sure why it matters, but it's an acme thread that is larger in
diameter than a standard diameter/pitch and must be in bronze.

Like don asked, how long a piece do you need? Longer
than a few inches and a die head won't do it.

If it is a non-standard thread you proably won't be able
to purchase off-the shelf chasers anyway. Single point
it with a follower rest would be the way I would do it.

Jim

please reply to:

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Mike Henry wrote:
DoN and I have different models of Clausing lathes and we both have bed
turrets. Mine (on a 5914) must be different than his, though, as there is
1" of daylight all the way through the bore on one station to to the bore on
it's opposite side.

Yes -- quite different in that. There is a threaded stud up
through the center of my turret, which passes through a disc and has a
nut with a single lever handle to tighten down so there is *no* play in
the turret head for heavy cuts. Thus on my turret, the limit is about
3" plus whatever extension there is beyond the turret's face.

IOW, it would be possible to thread a pretty long piece
with a die head, providing the OD was small enough to fit therough the die
head shank bore.

*And* as long as you had some way to capture and steady the free
end of the workpiece as it passes through the turret. The other problem
is that the total travel of the turret ram is about 8-10" (I think --
maybe a full 12"), and if you use the back-most two inches, you will
pick up the pawl which will try to rotate the turret as you pull back --
which could be very awakward with a long workpiece passing through it.

I guess that you could limit the travel and use the lever collet
assembly to lock and unlock the collet to pull more stock through the
headstock.

But we really don't know what kind of lathe the original poster
) has, nor whether it has a turret of any form, or
what the diameter is. Though we now know that it is an Acme thread, and
I've never seen a set of Acme chasers for a Geometric die head. I guess
that they could be purchased, but I would think that you would want a
larger die head to handle the extra cutting load for the Acme thread
form -- let alone the extra cutting force needed for a good bronze.

"Larger than a standard diameter" may well mean also "larger
than any die head which will fit in my turret", and thus "possible
problems in most lathes which will fit in a typical home shop." My
largest die head which I've used is a 3/4", with a 1" diameter shank. I
think that it may have a full 3/4" diameter clear through the shank,
though I've never actually measured it. But that could be a limiting
factor.

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article ,

says...

Not sure why it matters, but it's an acme thread that is larger in
diameter than a standard diameter/pitch and must be in bronze.

Like don asked, how long a piece do you need? Longer
than a few inches and a die head won't do it.

If it is a non-standard thread you proably won't be able
to purchase off-the shelf chasers anyway. Single point
it with a follower rest would be the way I would do it.

I agree. I can handle up to 24" long between centers, and with
a single point tool, plus a follower rest, I can cut Acme threads on
that up to perhaps 6" diameter. If it is 1" diameter or less, I can
pass it through collets, and with a steady rest replacing the turret or
tailstock, I can single-point any 24" long section. Beyond that, by
unclamping and reclamping, and taking a lot of time tuning the feed to
pick up the previous pass, I can probably continue the thread -- but
each re-clamping increases the chance for a mistake which would spoil
the whole thing.

Using a chuck, I could pass a full 1-3/8" through the spindle,
but could thread somewhat less length at a pass, thanks to the loss of
space taken up by the chuck.

The longer it gets, the more likely to have problems with
whipping -- (and the smaller the diameter the more likely to have those
problems -- but if you have whipping with a large diameter, you have major
destruction -- including possibly of the lathe or yourself.

So -- yes, knowing about the approximate dimensions -- *and* the
size of your lathe -- do make a difference. The more we know, the
better our advice can be.

But if you have to be secretive about it for whatever reason
(perhaps a non-disclosure agreement?) so be it.

Knowing that it is larger than the largest die head your lathe
will handle is one important thing. Knowing that the overall threaded
length is greater than the travel of the carriage on your lathe is
another important thing.

If you're trying to do this with a 1-1/2" die head, and a
Sherline lathe, we will all turn our backs and wait for the final
outcome. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
frank

I have two good die heads that I have no use for. One is
a genuine GEOMETRIC, the other a good knock off.
Plus I have a whole case of oddball threading dies typically
used in the locksmithing trade.

If you want an independent review of the items, I can bring
them down to MarMachine in Costa Mesa.

I am SURE he would agree that two heads and 25 die sets
are worth $200.

wrote in message
Hi,

I have to make some loooong threaded rod and need a die-head. Anyone
have one for sale or suggest where I might find one? I got sticker
shock at MSC. g

--

Kind regards,
Jenny and her tribe of survivors.

Mike Henry

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article ,
Mike Henry wrote:
DoN and I have different models of Clausing lathes and we both have bed
turrets. Mine (on a 5914) must be different than his, though, as there

is
1" of daylight all the way through the bore on one station to to the bore

on
it's opposite side.

Yes -- quite different in that. There is a threaded stud up
through the center of my turret, which passes through a disc and has a
nut with a single lever handle to tighten down so there is *no* play in
the turret head for heavy cuts. Thus on my turret, the limit is about
3" plus whatever extension there is beyond the turret's face.

I've got manuals for both available and see what you mean about the turret
head lock (threaded stud) on yours. Mine has no such feature but seems
pretty sturdy nonetheless. Haven't taxed it much yet, except for using it
to drill 1/2" holes about 2" deep in SS and it had no problem there.

snip

Gunner

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:41:24 -0700, "frank" wrote:

I have two good die heads that I have no use for. One is
a genuine GEOMETRIC, the other a good knock off.
Plus I have a whole case of oddball threading dies typically
used in the locksmithing trade.

If you want an independent review of the items, I can bring
them down to MarMachine in Costa Mesa.

I am SURE he would agree that two heads and 25 die sets
are worth $200.

GACK!!!!!

Thats one FINE price! Somebody snag it NOW! before he changes his mind.

Gunner

wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I have to make some loooong threaded rod and need a die-head. Anyone
have one for sale or suggest where I might find one? I got sticker
shock at MSC. g

--

Kind regards,
Jenny and her tribe of survivors.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty
is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
-- Ben Franklin

Shower head PoP UK diy 9 December 22nd 03 11:42 AM
Printer Reestit Mutton UK diy 16 October 31st 03 11:06 AM
Shower head bracket? David W.E. Roberts UK diy 0 August 4th 03 11:15 PM
Lathe drip tray slope angle? John Fletcher Metalworking 2 July 18th 03 09:45 PM
Moving the lathe.. JohnM Metalworking 0 July 10th 03 10:49 PM