replacing a Miele vacuum motor

Old January 20th 05, 05:03 PM
[email protected]

Default replacing a Miele vacuum motor

I have a Miele vacuum and it was shorting out. the salesdude at the
shop said it was "motor mounts" and I need a new motor. Is that true?
I suspect that if I can buy the motor it would be pretty
straight-forward to put it in myself and probably cheaper. does
anyone have a clue as to where I can get one in the US or someplace
inexpensive to ship from?

what are "motor mounts" and if they're broken, shouldn't I be able to
just replace that?

--
Kate, http://systems.cs.colorado.edu/~koli...f-formula.html

Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any
opinions at all. ~ Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Looking for a thinking moms list? see

Old January 20th 05, 05:07 PM
Matt

Yes, it's definitely true. Well, I guess he could have been
bull****ting you, but I think it's true. I'm pretty sure it's true, I
mean. Hmmm come to think of it, that's the same thing the salesdude
told me, and all I needed was a new filter! I don't think it's true. In
fact, I'm sure he was lying.

Old January 20th 05, 06:15 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes, it's definitely true. Well, I guess he could have been
bull****ting you, but I think it's true. I'm pretty sure it's true, I
mean. Hmmm come to think of it, that's the same thing the salesdude
told me, and all I needed was a new filter! I don't think it's true. In
fact, I'm sure he was lying.

And your evidence is??????

If the mounting tabs or bracket is an integral part of the motor, you'll
either have to have them welded if metal, or the motor housing (probably not
sold separately) would have to be replaced.

While I can't give a definitive answer without seeing the motor and mounting
system, neither can you from the information given unless you have seen the
motor itself.

Old January 20th 05, 06:19 PM
Matt

Oh Ed, lets just save ourselves the trouble and you just go ahead and
*plonk* me now, mmmmmk?

Old January 20th 05, 08:35 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Matt" wrote in message
ups.com...
Oh Ed, lets just save ourselves the trouble and you just go ahead and
*plonk* me now, mmmmmk?

I don't plonk anyone. Your next post may well be worth reading.

Old January 21st 05, 12:09 AM
[email protected]

well, they did say the HEPA filter was full- I tried it after removing
the filter and replacing it with a little foamy type filter and it
still shorted out. that same salesdude *has* done a lot of
bull****ting over the years- he runs a local sewing and vacuum store-
He hasn't done it just to me and just on vacuums.

Old January 21st 05, 04:55 AM
Chris Lewis

According to :
I have a Miele vacuum and it was shorting out. the salesdude at the
shop said it was "motor mounts" and I need a new motor. Is that true?
I suspect that if I can buy the motor it would be pretty
straight-forward to put it in myself and probably cheaper. does
anyone have a clue as to where I can get one in the US or someplace
inexpensive to ship from?

what are "motor mounts" and if they're broken, shouldn't I be able to
just replace that?

What do you mean by "short out"? If it's what I think you
mean, I can't conceive of how defective "motor mounts" would
cause a motor to short out. Stall maybe and trip a thermal
breaker maybe. Short? No.

If you're sufficiently handy and brave, why not dismantle it
to the point of exposing the motor and blower unit. Take some
time to clean out any crud you find, and see whether the motor
and blower hand turns, or, something obvious is loose or busted.

I have a Miele, but I don't feel like taking it apart to see
what yours looks like
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Old January 21st 05, 05:18 AM
Ross Mac

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Miele vacuum and it was shorting out. the salesdude at the
shop said it was "motor mounts" and I need a new motor. Is that true?
I suspect that if I can buy the motor it would be pretty
straight-forward to put it in myself and probably cheaper. does
anyone have a clue as to where I can get one in the US or someplace
inexpensive to ship from?

what are "motor mounts" and if they're broken, shouldn't I be able to
just replace that?

--
Kate, http://systems.cs.colorado.edu/~koli...f-formula.html

Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any
opinions at all. ~ Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Looking for a thinking moms list? see

Sounds to me like you are "Taking it in the Shorts" here!
Seriously, what the heck could motor mounts have to due with a short
circuit. I am assuming this thing blows the breakers when you turn it
on...right? If not, I think we call this an open circuit...in any event,
just take the thing to another dealer or better yet, buy a Dyson... Ross

Old January 21st 05, 11:17 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Ross Mac" wrote in message
Seriously, what the heck could motor mounts have to due with a short
circuit. I am assuming this thing blows the breakers when you turn it
on...right? If not, I think we call this an open circuit

If the motor moves because of a broken mount, wires can touch and short out.
The torque of the motor starting can cause a connection to hit a housing or
another wire.

Old January 21st 05, 07:19 PM
Chris Lewis

According to Edwin Pawlowski :

"Ross Mac" wrote in message

Seriously, what the heck could motor mounts have to due with a short
circuit. I am assuming this thing blows the breakers when you turn it
on...right? If not, I think we call this an open circuit...in any event,
just take the thing to another dealer or better yet, buy a Dyson... Ross

Mieles are very good vacuums. One of the best. We _really_ like ours.

A Dyson might be a downgrade ;-)

Dysons seem to be uprights and large canister style.

The Miele in question I suspect is a very light weight canister style.

See http://www.mielevacuums.com/ (ie: Sxxx type)

If the motor moves because of a broken mount, wires can touch and short out.
The torque of the motor starting can cause a connection to hit a housing or
another wire.

This is presumptious that the wires have bare spots.

I find it hard to believe that someone can diagnose such a thing without
taking it apart.

Mieles are virtually all plastic, so, housing/case isn't likely to be an issue.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est