Edwin Pawlowski

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message

This is presumptious that the wires have bare spots.

I find it hard to believe that someone can diagnose such a thing without
taking it apart.

That was my point exactly. Other posters were saying the OP was getting
screwed by the repair person. They never saw the inside of the unit, nor
did I. I can think of many ways that a broken mount can cause a problems,
but I sure canNOT think of a single way to say the repair man is wrong.

If the mounts are broken, it is possible they cannot be fixed or replaced on
their own. It is also possible that a broken mound allows the motor to
shift and other things CAN happen. Since none of us can see the inside,
none of us can say for sure what the problem is.

Even you state that the plastic housing in not likely to be an issue, but
you don't know where the wires are run, if they chaffed from a shifting
motor, if the insulation cracked from it, if the wire is loose at the
connector from the shifting. Sometimes you have to trust the repair person
and follow his advice. Most are reputable, but you just don't know.