DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   replacing a Miele vacuum motor (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/87569-replacing-miele-vacuum-motor.html)

[email protected] January 20th 05 06:03 PM

replacing a Miele vacuum motor

I have a Miele vacuum and it was shorting out. the salesdude at the
shop said it was "motor mounts" and I need a new motor. Is that true?
I suspect that if I can buy the motor it would be pretty
straight-forward to put it in myself and probably cheaper. does
anyone have a clue as to where I can get one in the US or someplace
inexpensive to ship from?

what are "motor mounts" and if they're broken, shouldn't I be able to
just replace that?

--
Kate, http://systems.cs.colorado.edu/~koli...f-formula.html

Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any
opinions at all. ~ Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Looking for a thinking moms list? see

Matt January 20th 05 06:07 PM

Yes, it's definitely true. Well, I guess he could have been
bull****ting you, but I think it's true. I'm pretty sure it's true, I
mean. Hmmm come to think of it, that's the same thing the salesdude
told me, and all I needed was a new filter! I don't think it's true. In
fact, I'm sure he was lying.

Edwin Pawlowski January 20th 05 07:15 PM

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes, it's definitely true. Well, I guess he could have been
bull****ting you, but I think it's true. I'm pretty sure it's true, I
mean. Hmmm come to think of it, that's the same thing the salesdude
told me, and all I needed was a new filter! I don't think it's true. In
fact, I'm sure he was lying.

And your evidence is??????

If the mounting tabs or bracket is an integral part of the motor, you'll
either have to have them welded if metal, or the motor housing (probably not
sold separately) would have to be replaced.

While I can't give a definitive answer without seeing the motor and mounting
system, neither can you from the information given unless you have seen the
motor itself.

Matt January 20th 05 07:19 PM

Oh Ed, lets just save ourselves the trouble and you just go ahead and
*plonk* me now, mmmmmk?

Edwin Pawlowski January 20th 05 09:35 PM

"Matt" wrote in message
ups.com...
Oh Ed, lets just save ourselves the trouble and you just go ahead and
*plonk* me now, mmmmmk?

I don't plonk anyone. Your next post may well be worth reading.

[email protected] January 21st 05 01:09 AM

well, they did say the HEPA filter was full- I tried it after removing
the filter and replacing it with a little foamy type filter and it
still shorted out. that same salesdude *has* done a lot of
bull****ting over the years- he runs a local sewing and vacuum store-
He hasn't done it just to me and just on vacuums.

Chris Lewis January 21st 05 05:55 AM

According to :
I have a Miele vacuum and it was shorting out. the salesdude at the
shop said it was "motor mounts" and I need a new motor. Is that true?
I suspect that if I can buy the motor it would be pretty
straight-forward to put it in myself and probably cheaper. does
anyone have a clue as to where I can get one in the US or someplace
inexpensive to ship from?

what are "motor mounts" and if they're broken, shouldn't I be able to
just replace that?

What do you mean by "short out"? If it's what I think you
mean, I can't conceive of how defective "motor mounts" would
cause a motor to short out. Stall maybe and trip a thermal
breaker maybe. Short? No.

If you're sufficiently handy and brave, why not dismantle it
to the point of exposing the motor and blower unit. Take some
time to clean out any crud you find, and see whether the motor
and blower hand turns, or, something obvious is loose or busted.

I have a Miele, but I don't feel like taking it apart to see
what yours looks like ;)
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Ross Mac January 21st 05 06:18 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Miele vacuum and it was shorting out. the salesdude at the
shop said it was "motor mounts" and I need a new motor. Is that true?
I suspect that if I can buy the motor it would be pretty
straight-forward to put it in myself and probably cheaper. does
anyone have a clue as to where I can get one in the US or someplace
inexpensive to ship from?

what are "motor mounts" and if they're broken, shouldn't I be able to
just replace that?

--
Kate, http://systems.cs.colorado.edu/~koli...f-formula.html

Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any
opinions at all. ~ Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Looking for a thinking moms list? see

Sounds to me like you are "Taking it in the Shorts" here!
Seriously, what the heck could motor mounts have to due with a short
circuit. I am assuming this thing blows the breakers when you turn it
on...right? If not, I think we call this an open circuit...in any event,
just take the thing to another dealer or better yet, buy a Dyson... Ross

Edwin Pawlowski January 21st 05 12:17 PM

"Ross Mac" wrote in message
Seriously, what the heck could motor mounts have to due with a short
circuit. I am assuming this thing blows the breakers when you turn it
on...right? If not, I think we call this an open circuit

If the motor moves because of a broken mount, wires can touch and short out.
The torque of the motor starting can cause a connection to hit a housing or
another wire.

Chris Lewis January 21st 05 08:19 PM

According to Edwin Pawlowski :

"Ross Mac" wrote in message

Seriously, what the heck could motor mounts have to due with a short
circuit. I am assuming this thing blows the breakers when you turn it
on...right? If not, I think we call this an open circuit...in any event,
just take the thing to another dealer or better yet, buy a Dyson... Ross

Mieles are very good vacuums. One of the best. We _really_ like ours.

A Dyson might be a downgrade ;-)

Dysons seem to be uprights and large canister style.

The Miele in question I suspect is a very light weight canister style.

See http://www.mielevacuums.com/ (ie: Sxxx type)

If the motor moves because of a broken mount, wires can touch and short out.
The torque of the motor starting can cause a connection to hit a housing or
another wire.

This is presumptious that the wires have bare spots.

I find it hard to believe that someone can diagnose such a thing without
taking it apart.

Mieles are virtually all plastic, so, housing/case isn't likely to be an issue.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Edwin Pawlowski January 21st 05 09:12 PM

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message

This is presumptious that the wires have bare spots.

I find it hard to believe that someone can diagnose such a thing without
taking it apart.

That was my point exactly. Other posters were saying the OP was getting
screwed by the repair person. They never saw the inside of the unit, nor
did I. I can think of many ways that a broken mount can cause a problems,
but I sure canNOT think of a single way to say the repair man is wrong.

If the mounts are broken, it is possible they cannot be fixed or replaced on
their own. It is also possible that a broken mound allows the motor to
shift and other things CAN happen. Since none of us can see the inside,
none of us can say for sure what the problem is.

Even you state that the plastic housing in not likely to be an issue, but
you don't know where the wires are run, if they chaffed from a shifting
motor, if the insulation cracked from it, if the wire is loose at the
connector from the shifting. Sometimes you have to trust the repair person
and follow his advice. Most are reputable, but you just don't know.

[email protected] January 22nd 05 02:20 AM

oh, I guess I was unclear. what a surprise. :-O

It *cuts* out. I'll be happily vacuuming and then it will be off.
You let it chill for awhile, hit the "on" and it runs again. seemed
almost like overheating.

You know, I thought this was a *helpful* group! there you are with a
Miele you wont' even take apart to provide information! :-P

I'll go after it with a screwdriver soon- I assume that's the main
thing I'll need? and maybe a can of air?

Kate, http://systems.cs.colorado.edu/~koli...f-formula.html
Mom to Ursula (10), Sage (7.5), Benno (4!!) Nothing is more

Chris Lewis January 24th 05 01:38 AM

According to Edwin Pawlowski :

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message

This is presumptious that the wires have bare spots.

I find it hard to believe that someone can diagnose such a thing without
taking it apart.

That was my point exactly. Other posters were saying the OP was getting
screwed by the repair person. They never saw the inside of the unit, nor
did I.

My point is that I don't think the repair person did _either_. So, unless
its the only way a Miele vacuum can behave that way, the repair person's
diagnosis is as suspect as anyone else's.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Chris Lewis January 24th 05 01:58 AM

According to :
oh, I guess I was unclear. what a surprise. :-O

It's important to be clear... ;-)

It *cuts* out. I'll be happily vacuuming and then it will be off.
You let it chill for awhile, hit the "on" and it runs again. seemed
almost like overheating.

Is it overheating?

This sounds like classic "motor overloaded, thermal cutout activates".

But...

You know, I thought this was a *helpful* group! there you are with a
Miele you wont' even take apart to provide information! :-P

:-P to you too ;-)

I'll go after it with a screwdriver soon- I assume that's the main
thing I'll need? and maybe a can of air?

I still haven't pulled mine part ;-), but I suggest a couple of screwdrivers,
maybe a small nutdriver or wrench, and some light oil (ie: 3 in 1).

Run the machine until it trips. Then unplug, and dismantle it to
the point where you can put your finger on the motor housing. Is it quite
hot? If NOT hot, the thermal is probably buggered, and you'll probably
have to replace the motor (the thermal cutout is usually inside the motor,
but look for doodads attached to it).

If the motor is hot, you want to look for something jamming the shaft,
jamming the blower, or blocking airflow past the motor. Try spinning
the motor by hand. Is it stiff? Why? Crud wrapped around the blower
shaft? Motor shaft stiff? Motor mounts broken/loose and motor/shaft out
of alignment? Blower rubbing something? Motor buried in crud acting as
an insulator? Motor ventilation holes plugged?

If a shaft seems stiff, a few drops of oil will probably fix it.

Don't worry about whether the vacuum airway is plugged - plugged vacuum
hoses _reduce_ the load on the motor, and the motor runs cooler.

At a guess, it'll be crud that somehow bypassed all the filters and jammed
up the blower or shaft, or the motor's bearings need a few drops of oil.

That said, our vacuum has never needed oil, so, ...

The only problems we've ever had with ours is the power head needing to
be disassembled to pull off crud, and once the hose got so stuck in the
housing it took a lot of patient fiddling to get it apart without breaking
anything. That sleeve builds up grit and can lock the hose in place. Take
the hose off periodically and hand wipe off the mating sleeve.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est