DIY Indoor Waterfall?

Old January 29th 12, 05:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default DIY Indoor Waterfall?

On 1/28/2012 10:22 PM, Robert Neville wrote:
wrote:

Now you'll
notice that these thing are quite expensive. I know she doesn't really
expect me to go out and buy one, she knows how cheap I am, but I would
love to get her one for our anniversary. So, what I'm thinking is, how
hard could it be to make one of these? I'm looking for suggestion and
ideas, any opinions and ideas would be much appreciated.

Commercial ones are extremely expensive. I wanted a wall fountain (not free
standing) for a new house a few years ago. Something about 30x72 would run $2000
or more. Ended up building one myself that turned out quite well, but it wasn't
easy the first time. Now that I've made all the mistakes, it would be much
easier to do another one!

http://www.mewsgirl.com/fountain.jpg

Looks nice. What was the major expense?
Old January 29th 12, 05:49 AM posted to alt.home.repair

JimT wrote:

http://www.mewsgirl.com/fountain.jpg

Looks nice. What was the major expense?

Thank you - there was no one expensive item. All together, I probably put in
$300 worth of materials, including the pump and lighting.

Building it up was pretty complex and probably just a little overkill. Started
with 1/2" plywood with 1/4" hardiboard on top, then used epoxy thinset to set
the tile. Used some 2x3 galvanized roofing drip strip painted brown to set the
side edges.

The top and bottom boxes are just basic white wood. Started out with 1/8"
plexiglass with the seams set in silicone caulk in the bottom, but couldn't get
it water tight. A seamless black bin bag works just fine. The pump is a magnetic
fountain pump. The trick is to get one rated for the lift and volume of water.

Built a PVC T shaped distributor pipe at the top with smaller to larger holes
drilled out to keep the flow the same across. Had a sheet metal shop bend a
couple of pieces of metal to hold the pipe and provide a sloped shelf for the
water to follow.

It works fine, but the killer is the weight. When you add up the tile,
hardiboard and plywood, you're probably talking 150 pounds. I had the sheet
metal shop build me a bracket for the wall and back of the fountain. It takes
two guys to lift it. If I did it again I'd just do a French cleat, but that
wouldn't change the weight.
Old January 29th 12, 08:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
I don't think it would be all that hard. IF you are able to do metal

work, that is; if not, I don't think it would be terribly expensive
to have the metal work done by a shop.

Basically, you would need...

1. A watertight pan to hold the water

2. A non-rusting frame attached to the pan to hold the panel

3. A submersible pump

4. Probably a filter.

The hard part is figuring out what you want. Vertical panel or
inclined? Glass? Metal? Smooth or maybe with angled troughs so the
water will run down to the next below it.

You need a pan big enough for stability (especially if you have a cat

You need a way to get the panel out of the frame without wrecking
everything
You need room in the frame for tubing. Small, flexible plastic
tubing such as that used for aquarium accessories might be good.

A way to drain it could be useful

Gotta be able to clean it.

Might need to add some chlorine to the water.
_________________

The above aren't necessarily suggestions, just sort of thinking out
load.

You know what I was thinking is to start with the panel from an old
bath/shower door. You'd have tempered glass for safety, and it'd be rated
for water duty right off the bat.

Jon

Old January 29th 12, 10:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jan 28, 3:46 pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Jan 28, 1:38 pm, radiotom wrote:

Ok, I've been lurking for awhile but I have a question that I've been
posting to other forums too, collecting ideas, so I thought I'd throw it
in here too. I wasn't sure where to post it but I hope this is Ok. My
wife and I recently went on a home tour and one of the homes had an
indoor waterfall. Now my wife is really on a kick to have one of our
own. Here's the kind of thing she's looking at - 'Bluworld of Water'
(
http://shop.bluworldusa.com/All-Fountains/products/29/). Now you'll
notice that these thing are quite expensive. I know she doesn't really
expect me to go out and buy one, she knows how cheap I am, but I would
love to get her one for our anniversary. So, what I'm thinking is, how
hard could it be to make one of these? I'm looking for suggestion and
ideas, any opinions and ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Neil
--
radiotom

Wow - They are pricey!! I would look at some very closely to see how
they are built, what size pump they use, etc. Cellphone cameras are
very usefull for doing that. From what I have sem, the top tube has a
series of tiny holes to distribute the water evenly. But, I am not
sure if they use regular tap water or some special concoction.

Good luck and let us know what you do, it's always good to learn
something new, and maybe usefulG.- Hide quoted text -

Probably moderately hard to make one. Probably much harder to make
one that's stainless, copper, etc with a
nice polished, finished contemporary look like the ones in the pics
that the company is selling. You have the
appropriate tools to cut, fit, weld, finish the stainless?

Anybody in China knocking these off for $1000 yet?

I've got something like it now, it's called an upstairs leaking toilet.
Old January 30th 12, 11:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2012 2:38 PM, radiotom wrote:
Ok, I've been lurking for awhile but I have a question that I've been
posting to other forums too, collecting ideas, so I thought I'd throw it
in here too. I wasn't sure where to post it but I hope this is Ok. My
wife and I recently went on a home tour and one of the homes had an
indoor waterfall. Now my wife is really on a kick to have one of our
own. Here's the kind of thing she's looking at - 'Bluworld of Water'
(http://shop.bluworldusa.com/All-Fountains/products/29/). Now you'll
notice that these thing are quite expensive. I know she doesn't really
expect me to go out and buy one, she knows how cheap I am, but I would
love to get her one for our anniversary. So, what I'm thinking is, how
hard could it be to make one of these? I'm looking for suggestion and
ideas, any opinions and ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Neil

Waterfalls have lead to legionnaires disease in hospitals.

Old February 5th 12, 12:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
On 1/28/2012 2:38 PM, radiotom wrote:
Ok, I've been lurking for awhile but I have a question that I've been
posting to other forums too, collecting ideas, so I thought I'd throw it
in here too. I wasn't sure where to post it but I hope this is Ok. My
wife and I recently went on a home tour and one of the homes had an
indoor waterfall. Now my wife is really on a kick to have one of our
own. Here's the kind of thing she's looking at - 'Bluworld of Water'
(Indoor Water Fountains, Indoor Waterfalls - Bluworld HOMelements. Now you'll
notice that these thing are quite expensive. I know she doesn't really
expect me to go out and buy one, she knows how cheap I am, but I would
love to get her one for our anniversary. So, what I'm thinking is, how
hard could it be to make one of these? I'm looking for suggestion and
ideas, any opinions and ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Neil

Waterfalls have lead to legionnaires disease in hospitals.

Hey, thanks for all the replies! You guys are a hoot You've certainly given me something to think about, I think I could handle building something. As for maintenance, I guess that'll be the wife. Yeah right. Some great advice.
Old February 5th 12, 07:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair

(http://shop.bluworldusa.com/All-Foun...products/29/)). Now you'll

-
Waterfalls have lead to legionnaires disease in hospitals.

Hey, thanks for all the replies! You guys are a hoot You've certainly
given me something to think about, I think I could handle building
something. As for maintenance, I guess that'll be the wife. Yeah right.
Some great advice.

Just make sure you maintain your wife, you don't want her calling on
someone else for proper maintenance. ^_^

TDD
Old October 22nd 12, 10:17 PM
Junior Member

Sorry to resurrect a dead horse. But I'm interested in building something like this.

What was the pump size you used for this and how tall is that waterwall?

Very awesome !
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Neville View Post