Ed Hayes

Default Backyard Waterfall Question

We have a waterfall feature in our backyard.
A pump, pumps the water up a maybe 6 foot hill and it runs down a
small stream over a rock and then gets pumped up again.
Just a contineous loop of water.

My question is the pump we first purchased was a bit too weak and the
next model up is a bit to strong. The strong one makes lots of water
flow but sometimes I would like to just slow it down a bit.

Can the speed of the pump be regulated to slow it down, sort of like a
speed control on a ceiling fan?

Someone told me that the pump is made to run at certain speeds and
reducing the voltage in order to slow the flow rate down could damage
the pump motor.

I this is not true where can I find a device to regulate the speed
(power) of the pump motor?

Thanks
tom

We have a waterfall feature in our backyard.
A pump, pumps the water up a maybe 6 foot hill and it runs down a
small stream over a rock and then gets pumped up again.
Just a contineous loop of water.
My question is the pump we first purchased was a bit too weak and the
next model up is a bit to strong. The strong one makes lots of water
flow but sometimes I would like to just slow it down a bit.
Can the speed of the pump be regulated to slow it down, sort of like a
speed control on a ceiling fan?
Someone told me that the pump is made to run at certain speeds and
reducing the voltage in order to slow the flow rate down could damage
the pump motor.
I this is not true where can I find a device to regulate the speed
(power) of the pump motor?

Just put a restrictor on after the pump. Never before the pump. Tom

Joseph Meehan

Ed Hayes wrote:
We have a waterfall feature in our backyard.
A pump, pumps the water up a maybe 6 foot hill and it runs down a
small stream over a rock and then gets pumped up again.
Just a contineous loop of water.

My question is the pump we first purchased was a bit too weak and the
next model up is a bit to strong. The strong one makes lots of water
flow but sometimes I would like to just slow it down a bit.

Can the speed of the pump be regulated to slow it down, sort of like a
speed control on a ceiling fan?

Someone told me that the pump is made to run at certain speeds and
reducing the voltage in order to slow the flow rate down could damage
the pump motor.

I this is not true where can I find a device to regulate the speed
(power) of the pump motor?

Thanks

Simply add a T fitting after the pump with a valve on one side. Plumb
the output of that valve back to the lower pond. Opening the valve will
allow some of the water to return to the lower pond., reducing the amount
going up the hill.

I don't suggest trying to restrict any of the flow as it could damage
some pumps.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Pagan

"Ed Hayes" wrote in message
news
We have a waterfall feature in our backyard.
A pump, pumps the water up a maybe 6 foot hill and it runs down a
small stream over a rock and then gets pumped up again.
Just a contineous loop of water.

My question is the pump we first purchased was a bit too weak and the
next model up is a bit to strong. The strong one makes lots of water
flow but sometimes I would like to just slow it down a bit.

Can the speed of the pump be regulated to slow it down, sort of like a
speed control on a ceiling fan?

Someone told me that the pump is made to run at certain speeds and
reducing the voltage in order to slow the flow rate down could damage
the pump motor.

It can.

Few motors can operate properly on less then their designed voltage, and
pumps are almost certainly in this catagory. With lower voltage, if it runs
at all, it will indeed run slower, but will also overheat, and soon you'll
be left with a dead pump.

Ceiling fan motors are designed very differently, as are power drills and
the like.

I this is not true where can I find a device to regulate the speed
(power) of the pump motor?

Just in case you want to try it, and don't mind replacing your pump, make
sure you use a regulator that's rated for the power your pump consumes. A
ceiling fan uses less power than any pump that can raise water 6', so that's
out. An old, dusty electronics shop, run by an old, dusty guy who got
started in his business by building mechanical TV sets, is your best bet.
Look under Electronic or Electrition Supply in your phone book. A regulator
that's capable of controlling a pump like this, and is also adjustable, will
set you back quite a bit, enough to buy a few more pumps at least.

A restrictor, or a valve that can be adjusted to restrict the output of the
pump, will work, but it will slow the water going through the pump, which is
also probably cooling the pump, as well as create additional back pressure,
generating more heat, and so on. This probably won't hurt the pump right
away, but it will make it work harder, which means it won't last as long.
It's not likely your pump was made for that kind of abuse.

Mr. Meehan's T fitting suggestion is the best idea.

Otherwise, you can try two smaller pumps, different pump manufacturers,
small sump pumps, DC powered pumps...

Pagan

toller

Ceiling fan motors are designed very differently, as are power drills and
the like.

I just read through the instruction manual on my new Dewalt drill. It says
using a reduced speed for any length of time will damage it!

PaPaPeng

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 18:34:54 -0700, "Pagan"
wrote:

An old, dusty electronics shop, run by an old, dusty guy who got
started in his business by building mechanical TV sets,

This I got to see. How does a mechanical TV set work?

Steve B.

wrote:

An old, dusty electronics shop, run by an old, dusty guy who got
started in his business by building mechanical TV sets,

This I got to see. How does a mechanical TV set work?

There is a bird in the back that runs the treadmill and makes it work.
I saw it on the Flintstones about a decade ago.

Steve B.
Pagan

wrote:

An old, dusty electronics shop, run by an old, dusty guy who got
started in his business by building mechanical TV sets,

This I got to see. How does a mechanical TV set work?

Not very well, but this was a while ago.

http://www.earlytelevision.org/scandisk.html

Thought I was BSing, eh? ;-)

Pagan

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 06:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 06:52 AM
Grading backyard question PaPaPeng Home Repair 2 September 15th 04 06:30 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 02:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 06:22 PM