Trumpet valve oil household substitute (will 3-in-1 household oil work)?

Old January 8th 12, 04:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.chem

Default Trumpet valve oil household substitute (will 3-in-1 household oil work)?

School starts Monday after a long recess and my kid's trumpet valves are
stuck in place. We can't find the valve oil.

It's not a life-or-death 'emergency' - but it got me thinking (not being a
musician) what I could use that I had around the house to lubricate the
valves.

Unfortunately, I don't have 'sewing machine oil' at home (which googling
says works ok). But I do have '3-in-1 household oil'.

The MSDS says 3-in-1 is "Severely Hydrotreated Heavy Naphthenic Oil" ( 97%
with 2% Naptha). PDF = http://tinyurl.com/6wlw2vs

That sounds horrid. The music store will be closed until the kid goes to
school

Googling some more, I see some people say that 'mineral oil' works (which I
can probably get at a drug store, right?) but before I go farther, I wonder
if anyone here has advice for an easily found substitute for trumpet oil on
a Sunday (i.e., hardware or drug store chemical)?

BTW, this ehow article says to use "lamp oil" and "essential oil" in
addition to "scent oil" and "sewing machine oil". Is it just me or are most
of these oils (with the exception of sewing machine oil) exotic or what?
http://www.ehow.com/how_6201749_home...valve-oil.html
Old January 8th 12, 04:14 AM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.chem

On Jan 7, 11:01*pm, sam bruno wrote:
[...]

Don't use 3-in-1 oil for the trumpet valves, its to thick and they
will rise slowly. You need a very light oil, very thin. Have any hair
clipper oil?
If the child dosen't need to practice b4 going back to school, it's
probably easiest to wait untill band class and borrow from another.
Old January 8th 12, 04:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.chem

sam bruno wrote:
[...]

Hi,
I am a bass player al y life. Use WD-40 to loosen up the pistons(;et
WD40 sip down)
And I use Blue Juice for lube. When I don't play for long term. I pull
all the pistons out. Good luck.
Old January 8th 12, 05:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.chem

On Sat, 7 Jan 2012 20:01:08 -0800, sam bruno
wrote:

[...]

A few drops of dishsoap in pure water.
Palmolive.
Old January 8th 12, 05:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.chem

sam bruno wrote:
[...]

If they are stuck, use a penetrating oil like WD-40. Then pull them out
and clean them.

Then I'd probably use baby oil for lube. But 3-in-1 oil is fine too.

-Bob
Old January 8th 12, 03:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.chem

[...]

I would stick to the mineral oil. Kerosene based products smell and I doubt
they are harmless. WD40 is good for cleaning things up, but dries out
quickly. Sewing machine oil would also be a good substitute.
Old January 8th 12, 03:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.chem

On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 09:03:28 -0600, Michael Dobony wrote:

[...]

Also try posting to alt.audio.pro.live-sound. They are mostly sound techs,
but many are also musicians and can give a better answer.
Old January 8th 12, 06:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.chem

Anything can be fixed with duct tape or WD-40.
Old January 8th 12, 08:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.chem

On 2012-01-08, zxcvbob wrote:

If they are stuck, use a penetrating oil like WD-40. Then pull them out
and clean them.

Then I'd probably use baby oil for lube. But 3-in-1 oil is fine too.

All these threads for all these years and ppl are still claiming wd40
is an oil. Now it's a penetrating oil! Shame on you, Bob. Also,
baby oil (mineral) and 3-in-1 are not light oils.

TO OP: What!? You can post on usenet but can't buy some valve oil
online? GTFOH!!

nb

--
vi --the root of evil
Old January 8th 12, 08:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.chem

On 2012-01-08, Joe keane wrote:
Anything can be fixed with duct tape or WD-40.

Yet another cretin. GTFOH!

nb

--
vi --the root of evil

(household) appliances D Yuniskis Electronics Repair 5 October 18th 10 03:12 PM
Household Grease Martin[_2_] UK diy 11 August 19th 07 02:32 PM
Household AC Ventilation bigb Home Repair 1 May 9th 07 05:34 PM
Household recycling Chris Home Ownership 37 January 7th 07 02:19 AM
Household Lube-- what do you use? Jack Home Repair 24 October 9th 05 02:16 AM