Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is the opposite of ceramic?

What is the opposite of ceramic? That is, when I search for "How to
remove floor tile", I get mostly hits on removing ceramic tile.

I have softer stuff., I don't know what it's made of. 12" squares,
somewhat flexible, somewhat brittle with age. 32 years**

It's not vinyl; searching on asphalt came up with nothing,

So what's the generic word for floor tile that is not ceramic.

And would you use a hair dryer or a heat gun to soften tile adhesive
to remove the tiles?

Thanks.

** (But only a couple are chpped, and I'm going to replace them with
tiles from the back of the closet, whch no one can see anyhow, Others
just need to be taken up and re"glued", because of the toilet leak I
posted about before. They are still partly attached to the plywood
floor.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/2011 8:26 PM, micky wrote:
What is the opposite of ceramic? That is, when I search for "How to
remove floor tile", I get mostly hits on removing ceramic tile.

I have softer stuff., I don't know what it's made of. 12" squares,
somewhat flexible, somewhat brittle with age. 32 years**

It's not vinyl; searching on asphalt came up with nothing,

So what's the generic word for floor tile that is not ceramic.

And would you use a hair dryer or a heat gun to soften tile adhesive
to remove the tiles?

Thanks.

** (But only a couple are chpped, and I'm going to replace them with
tiles from the back of the closet, whch no one can see anyhow, Others
just need to be taken up and re"glued", because of the toilet leak I
posted about before. They are still partly attached to the plywood
floor.)

How do you know it isn't vinyl? 12" 1979/1980 would probably be
something from the vinyl family, since Linoleum was basically a niche
product by then. Post a picture someplace with a link back here, and we
can tell you more. A closeup of a chipped area would be useful as well.

--
aem sends..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/2011 7:26 PM, micky wrote:
What is the opposite of ceramic? That is, when I search for "How to
remove floor tile", I get mostly hits on removing ceramic tile.

I have softer stuff., I don't know what it's made of. 12" squares,
somewhat flexible, somewhat brittle with age. 32 years**

It's not vinyl; searching on asphalt came up with nothing,

So what's the generic word for floor tile that is not ceramic.

And would you use a hair dryer or a heat gun to soften tile adhesive
to remove the tiles?

Thanks.

** (But only a couple are chpped, and I'm going to replace them with
tiles from the back of the closet, whch no one can see anyhow, Others
just need to be taken up and re"glued", because of the toilet leak I
posted about before. They are still partly attached to the plywood
floor.)

The old stuff was called VA tile. Now it is just called vinyl tile.

I take it off with a scraper. First a heavy scraper with a long handle,
then a razor scraper to remove the residual stuff.

--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Allison writes:

[...]

I just removed some glued down on a cement floor.
No scraper would touch them. I tried.

I ended up using a heat gun.

It was a long hard job.

The real surprise was the huge electric bill.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 20:39:06 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

[...]

LIKELY Vinyl Asbestos. If so be carefull of braking them and
releasing dust. A lot of people are realy paranoid about the stuff.
I'm not - but adequate precautions are in order.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I don't know what the cutoff year was, but I was always under the
impression that asbestos went away when the 'standard' size switched
from 9" to 12".

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It's not vinyl;

It probably is.

The old stuff was called VA tile. Now it is just called vinyl
tile.

I take it off with a scraper.

I just removed some glued down on a cement floor.
No scraper would touch them. I tried.

I ended up using a heat gun.
It was a long hard job.

Using heat like that is what usually causes a place to burn down.

You (and the OP) should use this:

===========
http://www.tiletool.net/Floor_Scrapers.asp
http://www.tiletool.net/700.gif

Tile Floor Strippers removes vinyl tile and ceramic tile tiles faster
and easier than ever before with one our tile strippers. These units are
very portable and make quick work of any tile removal job 3/4" HP - 110
volt motor. Cam-driven oscillating blade — no belts or pulleys.
Adjustable for many jobs. Blade not included.
==========

Rent one.

I've seen something at home despot that's about the size of a tool box
on wheels with a handle that I think is heavy and has a blade for
scraping floors. I can't find a picture of it anywhere on the net, but
it might also be for scraping tile (a non-powered manual scraper).
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
What is the opposite of ceramic? That is, when I search for "How to
remove floor tile", I get mostly hits on removing ceramic tile.

I have softer stuff., I don't know what it's made of. 12" squares,
somewhat flexible, somewhat brittle with age. 32 years**

It's not vinyl; searching on asphalt came up with nothing,

So what's the generic word for floor tile that is not ceramic.

And would you use a hair dryer or a heat gun to soften tile adhesive
to remove the tiles?

Thanks.

** (But only a couple are chpped, and I'm going to replace them with
tiles from the back of the closet, whch no one can see anyhow, Others
just need to be taken up and re"glued", because of the toilet leak I
posted about before. They are still partly attached to the plywood
floor.)

If they are 9" tiles, they are asbestos. What kind of adhesive do they
have; is it black?

-zbob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Guy writes:

wrote:

It's not vinyl;

It probably is.

The old stuff was called VA tile. Now it is just called vinyl
tile.

I take it off with a scraper.

I just removed some glued down on a cement floor.
No scraper would touch them. I tried.

I ended up using a heat gun.
It was a long hard job.

Using heat like that is what usually causes a place to burn down.

You (and the OP) should use this:

===========
http://www.tiletool.net/Floor_Scrapers.asp

Now you tell me.

Actually I did see one online but the price scared me off.
Should have thought about a rental.

The job was really hard on my back.
No way I would have burned the house down though.

I put down carpet tile.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/2011 8:11 PM, wrote:
Robert writes:

[...]

Yeah it is hard work. My long handled scraper weighs twelve pounds. It
will take off concrete. You just have to work at it.

And no electric bill.

--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Looks like cutoff date was about 1978.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Guy wrote:
wrote:

It's not vinyl;

It probably is.

[...]

An alternative is a scraper blade for you reciprocating saw. About ten bucks
at the BORG.

I can attest that the scraper blade works like you think it would, and
better than you imagined. They can even be re-sharpened!

Posted to alt.home.repair

cimarec

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 20:26:22 -0400, micky wrote:

What is the opposite of ceramic? That is, when I search for "How to
remove floor tile", I get mostly hits on removing ceramic tile.

"-ceramic"? Seriously, try searching on ["remove floor tile" -ceramic]
(without the brackets).

I have softer stuff., I don't know what it's made of. 12" squares,
somewhat flexible, somewhat brittle with age. 32 years**

Asbestos?

It's not vinyl; searching on asphalt came up with nothing,

So what's the generic word for floor tile that is not ceramic.

And would you use a hair dryer or a heat gun to soften tile adhesive
to remove the tiles?

Thanks.

** (But only a couple are chpped, and I'm going to replace them with
tiles from the back of the closet, whch no one can see anyhow, Others
just need to be taken up and re"glued", because of the toilet leak I
posted about before. They are still partly attached to the plywood
floor.)

I seriously doubt you can remove them intact. I'd pull them up (be careful,
they likely are asbestos) and tile ("+ceramic").
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 21:11:48 -0400, wrote:

Robert Allison writes:

[...]

Assuming a 1000W-1500W heat gun that's about $.10 to $.25 per hour. How many
hours did it take?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 20:26:22 -0400, micky wrote:

So what's the generic word for floor tile that is not ceramic.

Resilient.