Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is the opposite of ceramic?

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 20:26:22 -0400, micky wrote:

What is the opposite of ceramic? That is, when I search for "How to
remove floor tile", I get mostly hits on removing ceramic tile.

"-ceramic"? Seriously, try searching on ["remove floor tile" -ceramic]
(without the brackets).

I have softer stuff., I don't know what it's made of. 12" squares,
somewhat flexible, somewhat brittle with age. 32 years**

Asbestos?

It's not vinyl; searching on asphalt came up with nothing,

So what's the generic word for floor tile that is not ceramic.

And would you use a hair dryer or a heat gun to soften tile adhesive
to remove the tiles?

Thanks.

** (But only a couple are chpped, and I'm going to replace them with
tiles from the back of the closet, whch no one can see anyhow, Others
just need to be taken up and re"glued", because of the toilet leak I
posted about before. They are still partly attached to the plywood
floor.)

I seriously doubt you can remove them intact. I'd pull them up (be careful,
they likely are asbestos) and tile ("+ceramic").