"waffle" pavers?

Old March 6th 11, 09:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default "waffle" pavers?

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Concrete pavers that look like a
waffle, or something open... you can set them in your yard to make a
walkway that doesn't get too muddy, but grass still grows up through the
holes. Or they can be used to make another parking spot, without it
looking like another parking spot.

Do any of the big boxes sell them?

What is their proper name, so I can call around and ask?

thanks

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old March 6th 11, 09:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2011 4:43 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
Anyone know what I'm talking about? Concrete pavers that look like a
waffle, or something open... you can set them in your yard to make a
walkway that doesn't get too muddy, but grass still grows up through the
holes. Or they can be used to make another parking spot, without it
looking like another parking spot.

Do any of the big boxes sell them?

What is their proper name, so I can call around and ask?

thanks

nate

Try this link:
http://www.concretepaversguide.com/t...ss-pavers.html

Not sure I'd want them for a main driveway, especially here in snow
country, but they are pretty popular in upscale homes down south. Around
here, they look like they would be could for an occasional-use driveway
out to the pole barn, so you don't have to deal with a big swath of
gravel or pavement taking up the yard.

--
aem sends...

Old March 6th 11, 10:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/06/2011 04:53 PM, aemeijers wrote:
[...]

Actually what I was thinking was to buy a couple to make a path from the
back door to the garage, where there is nothing but yard now. Actually
given the weather today - it's been raining steadily since before I got
up - "quagmire" might be a better description. Hence my enquiry.

I'm not completely reassured when I see that the pond next door appears
to have a water level that looks pretty close to the level of the
basement slab. (it was quite a bit lower last night when I went to bed...)

nate

Old March 6th 11, 10:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Anyone know what I'm talking about? Concrete pavers that look like a
waffle, or something open... you can set them in your yard to make a
walkway that doesn't get too muddy, but grass still grows up through the
holes. Or they can be used to make another parking spot, without it
looking like another parking spot.

Do any of the big boxes sell them?

What is their proper name, so I can call around and ask?

thanks

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Not sure what the proper name is. Call a few block suppliers or search for
"green driveways".

I have seen a few boat parking space locally that were built from your
standard old 8x8x16 blocks sit on a gravel base and filled with dirt. A
herringbone patter looks better that just placing them in rows.

Colbyt

Old March 6th 11, 10:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 17:07:08 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

Actually what I was thinking was to buy a couple to make a path from the
back door to the garage, where there is nothing but yard now. Actually
given the weather today - it's been raining steadily since before I got
up - "quagmire" might be a better description. Hence my enquiry.

Those "waffle" blocks need ground prep.
Just get the cheapest "stepping stones" to lay to the garage until you
decide or not to do something "permanent."
I had the same issue getting to my garage.
No sidewalk straight to the driveway from the fort door.
We wore a path in the grass until I put down a narrow paver walkway.
That was a lot of work, even doing it wrong.

--Vic

Old March 7th 11, 12:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Smith wrote:

Those "waffle" blocks need ground prep.
Just get the cheapest "stepping stones" to lay to the garage until you
decide or not to do something "permanent."
I had the same issue getting to my garage.
No sidewalk straight to the driveway from the fort door.
We wore a path in the grass until I put down a narrow paver walkway.
That was a lot of work, even doing it wrong.

--Vic

That reminds me of a story about architects who designed a college
campus. They put up all the buildings but didn't put in any sidewalks.
They waited a few years until the students wore paths in the grass to
show where to put the sidewalks.
Old March 7th 11, 01:37 AM posted to alt.home.repair
SRN

What is their proper name, so I can call around and ask?

Not sure what the proper name is. Call a few block suppliers or search
for "green driveways".

I have seen a few boat parking space locally that were built from your
standard old 8x8x16 blocks sit on a gravel base and filled with dirt. A
herringbone patter looks better that just placing them in rows.

They seem to call them many different names:

Open Paving blocks
Permeable Paving Units
Open cell concrete blocks

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006...s_pavingop.php

Old March 7th 11, 02:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 18:05:10 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:

Those "waffle" blocks need ground prep.
Just get the cheapest "stepping stones" to lay to the garage until you
decide or not to do something "permanent."
I had the same issue getting to my garage.
No sidewalk straight to the driveway from the fort door.
We wore a path in the grass until I put down a narrow paver walkway.
That was a lot of work, even doing it wrong.

--Vic

That reminds me of a story about architects who designed a college
campus. They put up all the buildings but didn't put in any sidewalks.
They waited a few years until the students wore paths in the grass to
show where to put the sidewalks.

Cool. That's a real good idea.

Old March 7th 11, 02:56 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:

Those "waffle" blocks need ground prep.
Just get the cheapest "stepping stones" to lay to the garage until you
decide or not to do something "permanent."
I had the same issue getting to my garage.
No sidewalk straight to the driveway from the fort door.
We wore a path in the grass until I put down a narrow paver walkway.
That was a lot of work, even doing it wrong.

--Vic

That reminds me of a story about architects who designed a college
campus. They put up all the buildings but didn't put in any sidewalks.
They waited a few years until the students wore paths in the grass to
show where to put the sidewalks.

Cool. That's a real good idea.

Except for tromping through the mud for a few years! I can see not
putting them all in, but none?

I've put in a few paths and steps the last few years. They seem to build
themselves once you get started but you have to get started. And then
they grow as you see where they need to go. At least mine never end up
looking anything like I thought they would!

It's amazing how you can transform the most useless yard with the right
path and patio.

Jeff
Old March 7th 11, 03:49 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/6/2011 7:05 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Vic Smith wrote:

Those "waffle" blocks need ground prep.
Just get the cheapest "stepping stones" to lay to the garage until you
decide or not to do something "permanent."
I had the same issue getting to my garage.
No sidewalk straight to the driveway from the fort door.
We wore a path in the grass until I put down a narrow paver walkway.
That was a lot of work, even doing it wrong.

--Vic

That reminds me of a story about architects who designed a college
campus. They put up all the buildings but didn't put in any sidewalks.
They waited a few years until the students wore paths in the grass to
show where to put the sidewalks.

That sounds like a neat idea! Too bad it probably wouldn't work today,
the building inspector and other government agency's would want to know
where the sidewalks are going before the first shovel of dirt is moved.