How do I Unthaw yard hydrant underground?

Old January 23rd 11, 02:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I Unthaw yard hydrant underground?

I have a yard hydrant in my barn. It had heat tape on it, and the top
part above the ground was not frozen (I took off the head and put a
wire down). Its frozen under the ground. I know it's not to the
bottom, because its down at least 5 feet into the ground. Its frozen
below the surface. I have concrete around it, but there's a 1 inck
gap around the pipe, and I did have the heat tape down a few inches,
but I found that right below that tape the ground is frozen because I
tried to drive a piece of steel rebar into the soil.

I put a propane torch on the pipe right above the concrete level and
got water to boil out the top, but it's still not working and cant
lift the plunger. Is there some sort of electrical rod that I could
drive melt into the ground or anything made for that? I did dump some
boiling water around it too. I capped the top so I can use the rest
of the water on the property. and have an electric heater next to the
pipe, (heat tape is off now, so I could use torch). This hydrant is
in a small room, so that electric heater should heat the room but it's
not going to get what is underground. Anyone have any ideas what to
do?

Then, when I do get it unthawed, what can I do under the concrete
level to keep it thawed? They say not to put that heat tape
underground. I did have it down abiut 2 inches into the concrete, but
not more. I sure cant think of any other way to do it.

IDEAS NEEDED????

Thanks

Jake
Old January 23rd 11, 02:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

A former co worker would use a DC welder to thaw pipes. He'd clamp
the probes on either side of the frozen section. It doesn't sound
practical for your problem though.
Old January 23rd 11, 03:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 9:28*am, wrote:
[...]

I can't physically see your problem, so this is just a guess. If the
hydrant is 5 feet below ground, inside a room, it is highly unlikely
it is frozen due to cold temps. I think you have bigger problems and
should investigate the possibility of having to repair whatever the
mechanical problem is.

Hank
Old January 23rd 11, 03:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

If if if, the line isn't plastic, if ya can make a circuit with the
ice block in the circuit, if ya can get enough current to flow, if you
don't electrocute some cows and chickens,
this ought to work,
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=8719
In this copy of The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding (12th ed. 1973)
that I just bought there is a section on using an arc welder to thaw
frozen pipes. Now I can't imagine that this is a practice that Lincoln
would be wanting to promote today in these litigious times; in fact they
must be freaking out that there are still these old copies of the
handbook out there with a how-to on burning your house down with a
Lincoln HD Tombstone
Old January 23rd 11, 03:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 10:04*am, Hank wrote:
On Jan 23, 9:28*am, wrote:

[...]

To make my statement above more clear........ If, in fact it is
frozen, that tells you that the hole that lets the water drain out of
the hyrant is not working correctly (plugged?). There for it will need
repaired to whatever extent it takes to open the drain hole.

Hank

Old January 23rd 11, 03:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2011 8:28 AM, wrote:
[...]

Whenever I want to "unthaw" something, I put it in a freezer or spray it
with liquid CO2. If I wish to "thaw" something, I apply heat to melt
the ice. I've used the wide flame torch heads on small propane torches,
a heat gun or a big torch that fits a 20lb propane tank.

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html

TDD
Old January 23rd 11, 04:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

We once thawed the line from our well up into our camp (heat tape was
unplugged) by pumping hot water down to the ice through a piece of
rubber tubing. It was a small pump used for cleaning beer lines,
powered by an electric drill.
Old January 23rd 11, 05:03 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Then, when I do get it unthawed, what can I do under the concrete
level to keep it thawed?

If you can get below the surface then coil some tubing around
the underground pipe. thread your electrical tape through this.
The tubing should protect the tape.
Old January 23rd 11, 06:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

dpb wrote:

If it's a frost-free and the foot-valve is below frost line, ...

If those are true so there's simply a plug, you might since you have the
top open try either a piece of 3/8" or such rod w/ a pointy end and see
if can break thru physically the ice layer. Or, assuming the 1-1/4"
standpipe or similar, a half or 3/4" piece of pipe ought to work, too.

Iff'en it's not too thick of a block, that might well be enough w/ a few
love taps...