Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I Unthaw yard hydrant underground?

On 2/24/2014 7:50 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 2/24/2014 8:19 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, January 23, 2011 6:28:52 AM UTC-8,
wrote:
I have a yard hydrant in my barn. It had heat tape on it, and
the top part above the ground was not frozen (I took off the head
and put a wire down). Its frozen under the ground. I know it's
not to the bottom, because its down at least 5 feet into the
ground. Its frozen below the surface. I have concrete around
it, but there's a 1 inck gap around the pipe, and I did have the
heat tape down a few inches, but I found that right below that
tape the ground is frozen because I tried to drive a piece of
steel rebar into the soil.

I put a propane torch on the pipe right above the concrete level
and got water to boil out the top, but it's still not working and
cant lift the plunger. Is there some sort of electrical rod that
I could drive melt into the ground or anything made for that? I
did dump some boiling water around it too. I capped the top so I
can use the rest of the water on the property. and have an
electric heater next to the pipe, (heat tape is off now, so I
could use torch). This hydrant is in a small room, so that
electric heater should heat the room but it's not going to get
what is underground. Anyone have any ideas what to do?

Then, when I do get it unthawed, what can I do under the
concrete level to keep it thawed? They say not to put that heat
tape underground. I did have it down abiut 2 inches into the
concrete, but not more. I sure cant think of any other way to do
it.

IDEAS NEEDED????

Thanks

Jake

Jan of 2011. Wonder if he got it "unthawed" yet?

Though, with the cold this week, might need to "unthaw" it again.

I use liquid nitrogen to "unthaw" most things. ^_^

TDD