Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default How do I Unthaw yard hydrant underground?

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 11:15:22 -0600, dpb wrote:

Then, when I do get it unthawed, what can I do under the concrete
level to keep it thawed? They say not to put that heat tape
underground. I did have it down abiut 2 inches into the concrete, but
not more. I sure cant think of any other way to do it.

If it's a frost-free and the foot-valve is below frost line, the problem
is the weep hole is plugged so it's not draining--there shouldn't be any
water in the vertical standpipe to freeze so there's no need to keep it
warm.

The real solution (as much as you're not going to like it) is to make
enough of an access to dig it up and fix that problem.

A url that was posted in another thread today, perhaps with a somewhat
related name, said that the hole can get frozen by the continued use
of small amounts of water. That is, maybe it needs no repair, just a
change in habits. And it gave other reasons why it would freeze.

It also said that the way to solve this is to pour [boiling?] hot
water down the the hole until the ice melts. I guess you shoudl have
plenty avaible aso that the ho****er doesnt' get cold and freeze too.

The OP should find this thread -- I can't seem to -- and read the url.
It gives a some details.

Here it is:
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex641

Read the whole thing but

"A hydrant can freeze due to improper valve adjustment, a saturated
drainage bed, a plugged drain hole, or improper use, such as
incomplete shut off or the constant withdrawal of only small amounts
of water.

Should a hydrant freeze, it should be thawed as soon as possible to
avoid damage. Hydrants frozen above ground level can usually be thawed
by heating with an electric heat tape, a torch or hot water. If the
hydrant is frozen below ground level, the head will have to be removed
and hot water poured down the inside of the riser pipe. This step is
most easily accomplished by soldering a copper tube to a funnel and
pouring the hot water through the funnel and tube to the point where
the ice has formed. The tube is pushed down the riser pipe as the ice
melts."

I woudl email this to the OP if he gave a real address.

In the short term, I'd try a long ship auger bit or similar and drill a
hole (or two) alongside the pipe and drop the heat tape down it. It'll
be ok for a temporary.