Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How do I Unthaw yard hydrant underground?

On Jan 23, 11:44*pm, mm wrote:
wrote:
I have a yard hydrant in my barn. *It had heat tape on it, and the top
part above the ground was not frozen (I took off the head and put a
wire down). *Its frozen under the ground.
I know it's not to the
bottom, because its down at least 5 feet into the ground. *Its frozen
below the surface.

Three it's in the last two sentences. I don't understand the first two
of them or the sentence they are in. * What do the it'ses refer to?

There's a lot that isn't clear. Leading me to wonder if it's really
frozen
where he thinks it is, or somewhere completely different. If this
thing
is in a barn, ie reasonably protected, goes straight down 5ft, and has
heat tape on it, one would tend to doubt that it froze there. Perhaps
there is somewhere else the pipe is more exposed?