How much power does a 120v 15A lighted switch use anyway?

Old May 18th 10, 03:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default How much power does a 120v 15A lighted switch use anyway?

Just bought a dozen Leviton decora single pole 15A 120VAC lighted rocker
switches (model 5611, aka model 105-05611-21S).

Nothing on the box says how much power each of the lighted bulb uses when
the switch is in the off position.

Do you know how much power a lighted switch uses?

Old May 18th 10, 04:03 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
mm

On Tue, 18 May 2010 01:53:25 +0000 (UTC), Glenda Copeland
wrote:

Just bought a dozen Leviton decora single pole 15A 120VAC lighted rocker
switches (model 5611, aka model 105-05611-21S).

Nothing on the box says how much power each of the lighted bulb uses when
the switch is in the off position.

Do you know how much power a lighted switch uses?

About as much as a 110 volt neon bulb. I'm sure you can find specs
for those a lot of places. But it's very little, just a guess 0.01 to
0.1 watts? Let me know what you find out.
Old May 18th 10, 04:14 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Mon, 17 May 2010 18:59:46 -0700 (PDT), Jack Hammer wrote:
Do you know how much power a lighted switch uses?

Is it neon or led?

It looks to be neon.

Here are some URLs that describe the switch, but not how much power the
light uses:

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-105-05...4148771&sr=1-5

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-5611-2.../dp/B0033PSGFK

http://www.drillspot.com/products/12...de_Wall_Switch

http://www.smarthome.com/4246W/Levit...-5611-W/p.aspx

Old May 18th 10, 04:20 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In , Glenda Copeland wrote:
Just bought a dozen Leviton decora single pole 15A 120VAC lighted rocker
switches (model 5611, aka model 105-05611-21S).

Nothing on the box says how much power each of the lighted bulb uses when
the switch is in the off position.

Do you know how much power a lighted switch uses?

I have had a lighted switch at my day job. It had a high intensity neon
lamp, apparently either C2A (NE-2H) or A1C ("mini NE-2H) (hard to tell
through the switch). Figure about 1/4 watt.

- Don Klipstein )
Old May 18th 10, 04:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On May 17, 10:14*pm, Glenda Copeland gscopel...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
On Mon, 17 May 2010 18:59:46 -0700 (PDT), Jack Hammer wrote:
Do you know how much power a lighted switch uses?

Is it neon or led?

It looks to be neon.

Here are some URLs that describe the switch, but not how much power the
light uses:

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-105-05...le-Illuminated...

http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-5611-2...ential-Groundi...

http://www.drillspot.com/products/12...W_Commercial_G...

http://www.smarthome.com/4246W/Levit...ra-Style-Wall-...

I am going to guess at anywhere between 0.1 to 0.2 Watts.
Nothing to be concerned about imo.

Old May 18th 10, 05:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Glenda Copeland wrote

Just bought a dozen Leviton decora single pole 15A 120VAC
lighted rocker switches (model 5611, aka model 105-05611-21S).

Nothing on the box says how much power each of the
lighted bulb uses when the switch is in the off position.

Do you know how much power a lighted switch uses?

Not enough to worry about.

Old May 18th 10, 05:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

Just bought a dozen Leviton decora single pole 15A 120VAC lighted rocker
switches (model 5611, aka model 105-05611-21S).

Nothing on the box says how much power each of the lighted bulb uses when
the switch is in the off position.

Do you know how much power a lighted switch uses?

About as much as a 110 volt neon bulb. I'm sure you can find specs
for those a lot of places. But it's very little, just a guess 0.01 to
0.1 watts? Let me know what you find out.

mm Close. I get .096 watts with one that has a 150,000 ohm resistor in
series with lamp. So if the utility KW cost $ .10 you can figure out the
rest. WW

Old May 18th 10, 05:56 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
mm

On Mon, 17 May 2010 21:30:35 -0600, "WW"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Just bought a dozen Leviton decora single pole 15A 120VAC lighted rocker
switches (model 5611, aka model 105-05611-21S).

Nothing on the box says how much power each of the lighted bulb uses when
the switch is in the off position.

Do you know how much power a lighted switch uses?

About as much as a 110 volt neon bulb. I'm sure you can find specs
for those a lot of places. But it's very little, just a guess 0.01 to
0.1 watts? Let me know what you find out.

mm Close. I get .096 watts with one that has a 150,000 ohm resistor in
series with lamp. So if the utility KW cost $ .10 you can figure out the
rest. WW

This would be about 9 cents a year, if the light is off all year.

lighted switch help ml Electronics Repair 14 December 11th 08 12:09 AM
Toggle Lighted Dimmer light switch Joe Versaggi Home Repair 8 December 12th 05 03:03 AM
Lighted Switch Walter R. Home Repair 22 November 26th 05 06:50 PM
Reverse lighted toggle switch Owain Home Repair 0 December 24th 04 01:09 AM
Reverse lighted toggle switch Bob Daun Home Repair 7 December 22nd 04 11:16 PM