Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default How much power does a 120v 15A lighted switch use anyway?

"Glenda Copeland"
wrote in message
On Tue, 18 May 2010 04:57:45 -0700 (PDT), Jack Hammer wrote:

It is negligible regardless what's in there, neon or LED.
I'prefer LED, neon emits electric noise.

more lumen/watt from led then neon.

It looks like it's costing 25¢/month for the dozen neon-lit
switches.

What noise would I be worried about? I have the normal stuff
(phones,
computer, router, etc.) Which would the neon affect and how?

BTW, I didn't see ANY LED illuminated switches at ACE or OSH in
town!

Interesting observation. I know that when a single lead from a
neon light touches a hot wire, the neon light will glow if there
is almost anything touching the other lead. Was used as a voltage
checker long before the IC devices were available. If the neon's
lead was touching a hot wire and the other a ground/neutral, then
the lamp glowed brightly, otherwise, there was a lesser glow.

This leads me to the conclusion that neon lighted switches take
advantage of this ability and do NOT require a lead to ground or
neutral to achieve the low level glow seen in a lighted switch.
Perhaps an LED lighted switch would require a grounded/neutral
other lead to work, together with diode to convert the AC to DC.

--
Nonny
On most days,