Alternative to Tile in the Kitchen

Old January 21st 10, 11:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Alternative to Tile in the Kitchen

The floor covering in our kitchen is shot. My wife is not crazy about ceramic
tile, plus, the subfloor would have to be removed to make room for the height of
the ceramic tile.

What are modern alternatives to tile? Linoleum? Recommendations?
Old January 22nd 10, 12:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 18:29:03 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

The floor covering in our kitchen is shot. My wife is not crazy about ceramic
tile, plus, the subfloor would have to be removed to make room for the height of
the ceramic tile.

What are modern alternatives to tile? Linoleum? Recommendations?

Bamboo Flooring (a renewable resource)

http://www.bambooflooringhawaii.com/pic/KitchenRF.jpg

..
Old January 22nd 10, 12:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Some people do laminate (a.k.a. Pergo, and other brands) click-together,
hardwood-looking flooring. One place to check for pricing, styles, etc. may
be http://LumberLiquidators.com . Also, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Old January 22nd 10, 12:43 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 18:29:03 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

The floor covering in our kitchen is shot. My wife is not crazy about ceramic
tile, plus, the subfloor would have to be removed to make room for the height of
the ceramic tile.

What are modern alternatives to tile? Linoleum? Recommendations?

Vinyl is an excellent choice for a kitchen floor. It comes in many
embossed patterns and colors. Do not use a wood product.
Old January 22nd 10, 12:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 18:29:03 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

The floor covering in our kitchen is shot. My wife is not crazy about ceramic
tile, plus, the subfloor would have to be removed to make room for the height of
the ceramic tile.

What are modern alternatives to tile? Linoleum? Recommendations?

Bamboo Flooring (a renewable resource)

http://www.bambooflooringhawaii.com/pic/KitchenRF.jpg

.

Linoleum (not to be confused with vinyl), is mostly a renewable resource
as well.
Old January 22nd 10, 03:07 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"mcp6453" wrote in message
The floor covering in our kitchen is shot. My wife is not crazy about
ceramic
tile, plus, the subfloor would have to be removed to make room for the
height of
the ceramic tile.

What are modern alternatives to tile? Linoleum? Recommendations?

Go visit a flooring store. There are so many materials in the past 10 years
that I'd be hard pressed to say one is better than another. Sheet goods
tend to be good and easy to maintain, but take a good look at alternatives
and see how they fit with your needs.

Old January 22nd 10, 03:51 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 9:07*pm, "Ed P" wrote:
"mcp6453" wrote in message

The floor covering in our kitchen is shot. My wife is not crazy about
ceramic
tile, plus, the subfloor would have to be removed to make room for the
height of
the ceramic tile.

What are modern alternatives to tile? Linoleum? Recommendations?

Go visit a flooring store. There are so many materials in the past 10 years
that I'd be hard pressed to say one is better than another. *Sheet goods
tend to be good and easy to maintain, but take a good look at alternatives
and see how they fit with your needs.

Anything that is softer than ceramic, stand on ceramic for an hour and
your feet will tell you to get off of it!
Old January 22nd 10, 03:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 6:29*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
The floor covering in our kitchen is shot. My wife is not crazy about ceramic
tile, plus, the subfloor would have to be removed to make room for the height of
the ceramic tile.

What are modern alternatives to tile? Linoleum? Recommendations?

I like sheet vinyl. No seams (or very few, if your kitchen is large).

The kitchen is a place for utility. While it can also be attractive,
the foremost
consideration is cleanup.

Cindy Hamilton
Old January 22nd 10, 04:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed P" wrote in
:

"mcp6453" wrote in message
The floor covering in our kitchen is shot. My wife is not crazy about
ceramic
tile, plus, the subfloor would have to be removed to make room for
the height of
the ceramic tile.

What are modern alternatives to tile? Linoleum? Recommendations?

Go visit a flooring store. There are so many materials in the past 10
years that I'd be hard pressed to say one is better than another.
Sheet goods tend to be good and easy to maintain, but take a good look
at alternatives and see how they fit with your needs.

They even have glueless vinyl/lino. Can't couch for it since I've never
used it. Not sure how long it's been around and if it stands the test of
time.
Old January 22nd 10, 04:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 22, 7:24*am, Cindy Hamilton
wrote:
On Jan 21, 6:29*pm, mcp6453 wrote:

The floor covering in our kitchen is shot. My wife is not crazy about ceramic
tile, plus, the subfloor would have to be removed to make room for the height of
the ceramic tile.

What are modern alternatives to tile? Linoleum? Recommendations?

I like sheet vinyl. *No seams (or very few, if your kitchen is large).

The kitchen is a place for utility. *While it can also be attractive,
the foremost
consideration is cleanup.

Cindy Hamilton

Agreed. Kitchens have spills, even if there are no kids around. Too
many people put flooring in kitchens that are not suitable for a wet
environment.