Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Alternative to Tile in the Kitchen

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Jan 21, 3:29 pm, mcp6453 wrote:
The floor covering in our kitchen is shot. My wife is not crazy about ceramic
tile, plus, the subfloor would have to be removed to make room for the height of
the ceramic tile.

What are modern alternatives to tile? Linoleum? Recommendations?

I am following this thread with great interest. My kitchen sheet
vinyl is
tired, big-time. Have been looking at alternatives (price is big
consideration).
QUESTION: When this vinyl was put down, somewhere in the late
Pleistocene, the floor layer guy that it would be "impossible" --
meaning, I guess, very difficult -- to remove it..

Can this be true? If so, is it possible to put down a new sheet vinyl
floorcovering OVER the old one?

TIA

Current common practice by low-bid installers is to cover with 1/4" luan
plywood, and lay the new floor on that. Can be a pita, if doors and
cabinets (and especially dishwasher openings) are not tolerant of the
floor getting taller by 3/8 to 1/2 inch.

They can also skim-coat existing floor with leveling compound, but that
is prone to telegraphing the pattern from the old vinyl, old seams, any
nail pops. etc. Vinyl really wants to go over something smooth and hard
for best results.

--
aem sends...